PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2017 NFL DRAFT THREAD

Check out @BobbyBeltTX's Tweet: out @BobbyBeltTX's Tweet: out @BobbyBeltTX's Tweet: out @BobbyBeltTX's Tweet:

Was one of the first guys I mentioned. Tough background to say the least and overcame a lot. Waiting for another game but you cant help but root for guys like him, Guillermo etc

He might be a lil stiff but I dont think it shows that much. Hes a feisty guy w/ route recognition, competitiveness, great size, can play press w/ good one arm punch and off. I think could play zone after some time in the NFL. And he's a very good tackler whos not afraid of contact.

Last edited:
Obi Melifonwu coming in a few.

Was a little hard on him but Kam comps are for size alone, not play. Kam is so underrated and what he brings to the game is so much more than physical attributes.

Melifonwu is a very good player but the hype is a lil too much imho.

I have him in the 2nd

Last edited:
Obi added

I really think Draft Breakdown needs more people bc we need more tape.

Also if the NFL wants to save its ****ty product let me see diff angles in game by remote. Probably 40-50 different cameras why can't I see from a different pov?

Anyway Bowser is a guy Ive been dying to see more of and he really is impressive. He can win on the edge, knife the A/B gaps (Collins), Fluid in coverage, route recognition, lines up everywhere and I could go on. Gimme one more DB!!!

Oh yea Ed Oliver is a beast and would be a top 2-3 pick in this draft.

Check out @BobbyBeltTX's Tweet: out @BobbyBeltTX's Tweet: out @BobbyBeltTX's Tweet: out @BobbyBeltTX's Tweet:

Was one of the first guys I mentioned. Tough background to say the least and overcame a lot. Waiting for another game but you cant help but root for guys like him, Guillermo etc

He might be a lil stiff but I dont think it shows that much. Hes a feisty guy w/ route recognition, competitiveness, great size, can play press w/ good one arm punch and off. I think could play zone after some time in the NFL. And he's a very good tackler whos not afraid of contact.

Cutrer is very good from what I've seen, but also weighed in at 169lbs at his pro day. Can't imagine there have been many lighter than him entering the NFL at CB.

Cutrer is very good from what I've seen, but also weighed in at 169lbs at his pro day. Can't imagine there have been many lighter than him entering the NFL at CB.

Plenty of frame to work with lol?

He's always been light which is no bueno. Pretty much biggest factor in terms of an NFL career is him playing at heavier weight.

I can't imagine a jump from 170-185 would be as hard as say 200-215/220. There might be something more going on with him that he can't gain/sustain? Merely speculative?

Homeless to NFL would be a great story

No way you take him early w/out trying him there first.

Last edited:
Plenty of frame to work with lol?

He's always been light which is no bueno. Pretty much biggest factor in terms of an NFL career is him playing at heavier weight.

I can't imagine a jump from 170-185 would be as hard as say 200-215/220. There might be something more going on with him that he can't gain/sustain? Merely speculative?

Homeless to NFL would be a great story

One would like to think that he'd have been able to put that weight on before his pro day if he was able. Love the player and would take him late day three but his weight is a red flag. No guarantee he could become a successful pro.

@Combine there were ideas of him as LB.
Not good when too many ideas are flying...

Yea I'm not sure I see that but who knows.

He's at his best when hes downhill and able to see everything, but the overall physicality isn't there.

If he's ever able to diagnose he'll be fantastic, right now its not there.

@KeithDeuces's Tweet:

@KeithDeuces's Tweet:

@KeithDeuces's Tweet:

Two guys that get no love.

Williams has legit range and ball skills.

Mathis I love. His tape is better than most out there and was arguably the best pass rusher before he got hurt.

1) Burst
2)Hands
3)Motor
4)Recognizes blocks in front of him
5)Tough

I think hes perfect for a Baltimore, Pitt but also multiple.

Last edited:
@MichaelJKist's Tweet:

@GrahamBarfield's Tweet:

Louisiana Tech WR Carlos Henderson forced 48 missed tackles last season.

Carlos Henderson had an outstanding year for Louisiana Tech, as he posted 82 receptions for 1,530 yards, with 785 of those coming after the catch (fourth-most in FBS). The most obvious reason for the huge YAC total is certainly his absurd number of forced missed tackles. East Carolina’s Zay Jones ranks second among 2017 prospects in that regard (third among all 2016 FBS receivers), and he racked up exactly half of Henderson’s total. In fact, the next-highest total for an entire season since PFF started grading college (2014) is 28, which was accomplished by Bowling Green’s Ronnie Moore in 2015. If Henderson can translate this part of his game to the next level, he is sure to be a highly-productive NFL receiver.

Dan Feeney surrendered one sack and three hits on 1,017 pass-blocking snaps at RG from 2014–2016.

Due to injuries on Indiana’s offensive line this year, Feeney was forced to slide out to right tackle for the final four games. In those four games, he gave up a sack and eight hurries, with four of the QB pressures coming in the Hoosiers’ bowl game against Utah. This was a rough way for Feeney to end his college career, but it shouldn’t take away from what he accomplished at his natural position of right guard—just one sack, three hits and 15 total QB pressures is a remarkable feat. By comparison, Joshua Garnett of the 49ers, who was the first guard selected in last year’s draft (28th overall), gave up 28 total pressures (with four sacks and 10 hits) over 855 pass-blocking reps between 2014 and 2015. While Feeney is unlikely to be taken as high as Garnett was last year due to his concussion history, based on production numbers, he is easily the top pass-blocking guard in this year’s draft.

Marcus Williams surrendered, on average, just 0.09 yards per coverage snap.

Marcus Williams was one of our second-team All-American safeties in 2016, as he put together an all-around outstanding season (he led all FBS safeties in run-stop percentage). Possibly the most eye-popping stat on him this season was his 0.09 yards surrendered per coverage snap. This metric takes the total yardage a player allows into his coverage and divides it by the number of coverage snaps played, and is a way to gauge the efficiency of a player’s production in coverage. Texas A&M’s Justin Evans was the next-closest safety (likely to be drafted within the first three rounds) to Williams, at 0.53. Not surprisingly, Williams also led all qualifying FBS safeties (more than 100 coverage snaps played) in total yards allowed, with just 38. While players like LSU’s Jamal Adams and Ohio State’s Malik Hooker are getting all the top-15 hype (and for good reason), Williams may have had the best statistical season in 2016 of this year’s loaded safety class.

PFF

Louisiana Tech WR Carlos Henderson forced 48 missed tackles last season.

Carlos Henderson had an outstanding year for Louisiana Tech, as he posted 82 receptions for 1,530 yards, with 785 of those coming after the catch (fourth-most in FBS). The most obvious reason for the huge YAC total is certainly his absurd number of forced missed tackles. East Carolina’s Zay Jones ranks second among 2017 prospects in that regard (third among all 2016 FBS receivers), and he racked up exactly half of Henderson’s total. In fact, the next-highest total for an entire season since PFF started grading college (2014) is 28, which was accomplished by Bowling Green’s Ronnie Moore in 2015. If Henderson can translate this part of his game to the next level, he is sure to be a highly-productive NFL receiver.

Dan Feeney surrendered one sack and three hits on 1,017 pass-blocking snaps at RG from 2014–2016.

Due to injuries on Indiana’s offensive line this year, Feeney was forced to slide out to right tackle for the final four games. In those four games, he gave up a sack and eight hurries, with four of the QB pressures coming in the Hoosiers’ bowl game against Utah. This was a rough way for Feeney to end his college career, but it shouldn’t take away from what he accomplished at his natural position of right guard—just one sack, three hits and 15 total QB pressures is a remarkable feat. By comparison, Joshua Garnett of the 49ers, who was the first guard selected in last year’s draft (28th overall), gave up 28 total pressures (with four sacks and 10 hits) over 855 pass-blocking reps between 2014 and 2015. While Feeney is unlikely to be taken as high as Garnett was last year due to his concussion history, based on production numbers, he is easily the top pass-blocking guard in this year’s draft.

Marcus Williams surrendered, on average, just 0.09 yards per coverage snap.

Marcus Williams was one of our second-team All-American safeties in 2016, as he put together an all-around outstanding season (he led all FBS safeties in run-stop percentage). Possibly the most eye-popping stat on him this season was his 0.09 yards surrendered per coverage snap. This metric takes the total yardage a player allows into his coverage and divides it by the number of coverage snaps played, and is a way to gauge the efficiency of a player’s production in coverage. Texas A&M’s Justin Evans was the next-closest safety (likely to be drafted within the first three rounds) to Williams, at 0.53. Not surprisingly, Williams also led all qualifying FBS safeties (more than 100 coverage snaps played) in total yards allowed, with just 38. While players like LSU’s Jamal Adams and Ohio State’s Malik Hooker are getting all the top-15 hype (and for good reason), Williams may have had the best statistical season in 2016 of this year’s loaded safety class.

PFF

I really like this post. But i have a question for you. With us resigning harmon would you use a pick on marcus williams? I really come to like his game but i dont see him getting much playing time.

I really like this post. But i have a question for you. With us resigning harmon would you use a pick on marcus williams? I really come to like his game but i dont see him getting much playing time.

Based on his measureables and scouting report, it seems unlikely to me that he'll still be on the board at #72. Maybe not even at #32. IDK, perhaps a moot point?

As horrible as it is to think about, the Pats are going to need to find a replacement for McCourty sooner or later. And Chung may be more vulnerable sooner. Both turn 30 during Camp, IIRC.

Meanwhile, Chung and McCourty each played around 1200 snaps last year, combining defense and ST snaps. That's about 50 more than any of the OL. Seems to me like they could use some quality relief out there, which Harmon didn't really provide.

If Williams is really that good, I think the Pats would find a way to get him some decent snaps. And it's not as if there isn't a roster-end DB who couldn't be bumped off the 53.

Based on his measureables and scouting report, it seems unlikely to me that he'll still be on the board at #72. Maybe not even at #32. IDK, perhaps a moot point?

As horrible as it is to think about, the Pats are going to need to find a replacement for McCourty sooner or later. And Chung may be more vulnerable sooner. Both turn 30 during Camp, IIRC.

Meanwhile, Chung and McCourty each played around 1200 snaps last year, combining defense and ST snaps. That's about 50 more than any of the OL. Seems to me like they could use some quality relief out there, which Harmon didn't really provide.

If Williams is really that good, I think the Pats would find a way to get him some decent snaps. And it's not as if there isn't a roster-end DB who couldn't be bumped off the 53.

Williams is good. When I thought we might lose Harmon, he was showing up in my mocks as a replacement. He's savvy, explosive, and productive. Good player.

I don't think that 30 is a big deal for a free safety. Look at how many corners transitioned to free safety in their mid-30s to extend their careers. I expect McCourty to play at a high level for a very long time. It's not like he's a running back taking a pounding on every play -- they don't last as long for a reason.

Of course, now that I'm a few months shy of 30, I view the age very differently. I can still outperform guys at the gym who are 5 - 10 years younger than I am, and I don't feel like I'm in any danger of slowing down in the next decade. Look at Brady: he's faster, stronger, and healthier now than he was almost 20 years ago. Proper nutrition, preventative care, and body maintenance goes a long way.

Of course, now that I'm a few months shy of 30, I view the age very differently. I can still outperform guys at the gym who are 5 - 10 years younger than I am, and I don't feel like I'm in any danger of slowing down in the next decade. Look at Brady: he's faster, stronger, and healthier now than he was almost 20 years ago. Proper nutrition, preventative care, and body maintenance goes a long way.

OTOH, repeatedly running into walls doesn't help. I doubt it's part of Brady's regime for example.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back