PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2017 NFL DRAFT THREAD

@dpbrugler's Tweet:

@dpbrugler's Tweet:

Reddick is one of very few guys I'd take w/ an early pick if we landed one. Rivers is a guy that doesn't get the love he deserves. Both been brought up multiple times.

@JuMosq's Tweet:

@JuMosq's Tweet:

@dpbrugler's Tweet:

No way Willis was risking those #'s

Honestly I think it was a little of both. Def didn't hurt to have Dante back but it look like White got a kick in the ass in camp and responded. He def put in the work.

Again I think Foster could be electric
Agree about Foster. I don't know anything about his pass-pro/blitz pickup abilities, though.

White, who came out of a man/power run-blocking scheme at Wisconsin, was drafted the same year as Stork, Fleming and Halapio, and the same year that Googe replaced Scar. I thought that the Pats OL might be preparing to use more man/power, too.

When we attended Camp practices that year, though, they were still showing mostly zone-blocking and it was brutal to watch White struggle to find holes to run through. He just didn't seem to have the vision/anticipation to understand where holes were about to open and was really tentative. OTOH, he looked really good in pass-pro and running routes/receiving.

IDK if it was a kick in the ass or just that something finally clicked for him, but he looked significantly improved this season. Certainly not lead-runner level nor particularly explosive, but situationally reliable.

Things could be drastically different come March 2018 as things play out over the next year, but, at the moment, I could see White getting extended for 2-3 years at +/- $1.3M APY and Foster mostly battling it out with Lewis.

Interesting to see Trevor Bates on that "make-or-break" list. The post was from last May and Bates spent the first half of 2016 on the Indy PS and the second half on the Pats' PS (won a couple PPoW awards, too, IIRC). Anyway, he signed a futures contract with the Pats for 2017, so we may be hearing more about him during OTAs.

Agree about Foster. I don't know anything about his pass-pro/blitz pickup abilities, though.

White, who came out of a man/power run-blocking scheme at Wisconsin, was drafted the same year as Stork, Fleming and Halapio, and the same year that Googe replaced Scar. I thought that the Pats OL might be preparing to use more man/power, too.

When we attended Camp practices that year, though, they were still showing mostly zone-blocking and it was brutal to watch White struggle to find holes to run through. He just didn't seem to have the vision/anticipation to understand where holes were about to open and was really tentative. OTOH, he looked really good in pass-pro and running routes/receiving.

IDK if it was a kick in the ass or just that something finally clicked for him, but he looked significantly improved this season. Certainly not lead-runner level nor particularly explosive, but situationally reliable.

Things could be drastically different come March 2018 as things play out over the next year, but, at the moment, I could see White getting extended for 2-3 years at +/- $1.3M APY and Foster mostly battling it out with Lewis.

Interesting scenario.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Foster looks like and that battle.

80% of All-Pro and Pro Bowl WRs who were 6-2 or taller had at least 32 5/8-inch arm length with the exception of the athletic freak Vincent Jackson.While 100% of All-Pro and Pro Bowl WRs at 6-1 or shorter had at least 29 3/4-inch arm length

All of these are quality thresholds, not starter thresholds. If a WR doesn’t hit one of these marks. It’s more a flag about overall upside potential. And the WRs with less upside potential based on the Arm Length thresholds are:

Zay JonesJalen RobinetteKrishawn HoganChad HansenKenny GollidayZach PascalQuincy AdeboyejoNoah BrownJosh ReynoldsCooper KuppJerome LaneMalachi DupreJosh MaloneIsaiah McKenzieTrent TaylorRyan Switzer

The last measure before we get into tight end is hand size at wide receiver. It is the one measure everyone makes a big deal about, but the benchmark for quality hand size is 8 7/8-inch hand size across all height groups. And there are plenty of starters with less than 8 7/8-inch hands. So remember this is a quality threshold, not quantity. And the WRs who didn’t hit at least 8 7/8-inch hand size are:

John RossGabe MarksNoel ThomasKermit WhitfieldTrent Taylor

They still have a shot at being starting wide receivers, but they are statistically less likely to be All-Pro or Pro Bowl level prospects.

At tight end length and size are big indicators of consistently elite tight ends. And this class only had one player meet the All-Pro level arm length and hand size combo in Jeremy Sprinkle. But many players hit the Pro Bowl level arm length and hand size combo. Those players were

Pharoah BrownDavid NjokuDarrell DanielsO.J. HowardEric SaubertJordan LeggettEvan EngramAdam ShaheenMichael RobertsScott OrndoffBilly BrownCole HikutiniBucky HodgesHayden Plinke

Arm length and hand size measures speak to whether we have another Jimmy Graham or Rob Gronkowski in this class. And unfortunately, I don’t see many who meet those marks. But could we have Greg Olsens and many other tight ends who will go on to have above average careers from a physical characteristics.

And lastly, hand size at tight end. The threshold for long-term starting tight ends is 9-inches. The only tight end to not meet that threshold was Gerald Everett. There is some debate about whether he is a tight end or not. But his hand size of 8.5-inches is fairly small even for a wide receiver.

From
@Jimetrics

I read some of the report and it sounded weird. Def want to wait n see here but if true its bad for him.

Def a wake up call for him.

I read some of the report and it sounded weird. Def want to wait n see here but if true its bad for him.

Def a wake up call for him.

According to the reports I've read (nothing more recent that yesterday afternoon) ...

- The woman/girlfriend called police about 1 am and claimed that Lewis assaulted her.
- There were no visible signs of injury and she was not treated for injuries at the time.
- Lewis was found (apparently easily) at another locations "a few miles away" and formally arrested on a charge of domestic violence (standard protocol), but was immediately released on his own recognizance by the officers on the scene.
- Around 5PM yesterday, Lewis apparently tweeted, "It's sad that somebody would want to control you so bad they would ruin your life over." The tweet was apparently deleted a short time later.

Clearly, there isn't anywhere near enough information available at this point for any of us to either "convict" him or to absolve him.

According to the reports I've read (nothing more recent that yesterday afternoon) ...

- The woman/girlfriend called police about 1 am and claimed that Lewis assaulted her.
- There were no visible signs of injury and she was not treated for injuries at the time.
- Lewis was found (apparently easily) at another locations "a few miles away" and formally arrested on a charge of domestic violence (standard protocol), but was immediately released on his own recognizance by the officers on the scene.
- Around 5PM yesterday, Lewis apparently tweeted, "It's sad that somebody would want to control you so bad they would ruin your life over." The tweet was apparently deleted a short time later.

Clearly, there isn't anywhere near enough information available at this point for any of us to either "convict" him or to absolve him.

Had no time w/ work to post this thank you.

Check out @RLiuNFL's Tweet:

Check out @alex_reno's Tweet: out @Olson_nfl's Tweet: out @alex_reno's Tweet: out @TheJoeMarino's Tweet:

Zamora might be a top 5 wr in this class, monster in some ways but he literally beat his dog w/ his belt on social media. Other things floating around if you can believe that lol?

Baylor will let their guys take off plays but that was just putrid effort. Its not like the play was on the other side of the field. Feet away from him.

Plays like that make me and others say Witherspoon plays like hes 5'10 rather than 6'2.

Last edited:

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back