PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bennett Situation A Bit Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bennett is due a $2M bonus on March 14. This won't be paid. However, if it isn't, then Bennett may be eligible for injury payments starting in September.

Also, Bennett might retire.

Finally, Bennett might be willing to sign a new 1-year deal which guarantees the injury money as bonus.

There are lot of possibilities.

Reactions: PP2
Bennett is due a $2M bonus on March 14. This won't be paid. However, if it isn't, then Bennett may be eligible for injury payments starting in September.

Also, Bennett might retire.

Finally, Bennett might be willing to sign a new 1-year deal which guarantees the injury money as bonus.

There are lot of possibilities.
When Bennett is motivated and healthy he can be beastly.
However he may want to retire and I'd completely understand and support that.

Man there's a lot of uncertainty at that position. Gronk doesn't walk away, Bennett & Allen restructure we could actually see all 3 here or we could see none...bizarre

I like Bennett more as a man and entrepreneur, than what I have seen on the football field for the past 1+ years...

Need to pursue option B.....

However he may want to retire and I'd completely understand and support that.
I think he said that to get out of Green Bay.

Its not complicated, both Bennett and Allen should be cut.

Their salaries outweigh their value and the Pats need to clear space and cutting these 2 players clears over $11m.

Bennett was good when Gronk went down in 2016 but that was 2 years ago and he's 2 years older and 2 years more banged up now and looked like he was much slower this year.

Well, he was able to be "beastly" - two years ago.

He turns 31 on March 10th and is now a bit more beat up. At this point, his ability to provide anything close to 867 snaps, 55 catches and 700+ receiving yards at a YPC of 12.7 and a 75% catch rate - and 7 TDs - all seems fairly doubtful to me.

Its not complicated, both Bennett and Allen should be cut.

Their salaries outweigh their value and the Pats need to clear space and cutting these 2 players clears over $11m.

Bennett was good when Gronk went down in 2016 but that was 2 years ago and he's 2 years older and 2 years more banged up now and looked like he was much slower this year.

Bennett needs to be cut - by March 14th to avoid the Pats having to pay him $2M regardless whether he ever plays again or not.

Allen can be easily extended/restructured to lower his 2018 cap hit to around $2M, and there's no immediate deadline on that as there is with Bennett.

Let him and Allen go and sign Jimmy G. (Graham)

Find a blocking TE in the draft

TE is a sneaky big need. I assume that Gronk is playing next year, but I think this contract will be his last. We need a capable replacement.

I assume that Bennett is retiring. I like Dwayne Allen, but only at half his cap charge. I see TE as a free agency priority.

I would be looking hard at Trey Burton.

Let him and Allen go and sign Jimmy G. (Graham)

Find a blocking TE in the draft

Graham?

Slightly older than Bennett.
Barely more productive on a per-game basis in 2017 than Bennett was in 2017 (with a bad shoulder) for the Packers.
Has never been anywhere near as good a blocker as Bennett.
Will likely cost as much as Bennett.

Not seeing it.

I figure they will restructure Allen and wait to find out about gronk before moving on Bennett or any free agent like graham. Bennett would be ok if he restructures. I’d be for that if gronk leaves. If gronk stays, Bennett is probably gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News