PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bennett Situation A Bit Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bennett situation is complicated for many different reasons:

1) the uncertainty of Gronk
2) the large(r) cap hit for Bennett, himself, including a 2m dollar bonus that’s due soon
3) the fact that he contemplated retirement in ‘17
4) his injury status and prognosis moving forward
5) the fact that he’s batshit crazy and somewhat unreliable
6) the situation with Dwayne Allen

Those are just off the top of my head at 5:30 in the morning. I’m sure there are more.

Since this thread has also become one of the places where Dwayne Allen is discussed here is something what Caserio just said at the MIT Sloan conference about James White. I think it pretty much also fits Dwayne Allen in terms of his role and how his contract most probably will have to be adjusted for him to stick around.

"The way salary structure is put together, you have 'X' amount of players who are on elite-level contracts on your roster, you have minimum-salary players which are typically draft choices and younger players, and then you have a middle class -- whatever the range may be, that is another grouping of players. A lot of those [middle class] players have a significant role and make a significant contribution to your team. What we try to do, as best we can, is identify what the player's role [is] and the cost associated with that. If the player continues in that role, and the salary is commensurate with that role, it makes sense. If for some reason there starts to be a gap there, there has to be some sort of an adjustment. I think a perfect example of a role player for our team [is] James White," Caserio said on the panel.

"[Then] we made the decision to extend James a year ahead of free agency [after the 2016 season], and his role is as important as any player on our team. He played 30 or 40 percent of the time. I think we had 274 third-down plays for the entire season and he was on the field for 171 or 172 of those, and he missed two games. Those roles are really, really important. Do they play 60-70-80 percent of the game? No, but without that player, you better have somebody that can actually fill that role because if you don't you have to go outside and find it."

A bit more in Reiss` newest Sunday piece Nick Caserio at MIT Sloan Analytics Conference: James White a 'role' model

David Wells, San Diego State, TE/ST. Yes he'll play special teams. Yes, he was a high school quarterback. Yes, he can play tight... actually, no idea whether he can play tight and. Target's painted on him for late rounds or UDFA for us, which means I dunno, 3rd round, who knows :D

Prognosticators mothers be like...

Reading scouting reports on TE prospects is always worth a chuckle or two.

Those for the mostly widely-touted prospects (Kiper Binky's) often blow a couple hundred words on praising the guy's size, athleticism, receiving stats, etc., and then end with a throwaway, "his blocking may need some work".

Then those whose athleticism and receiving stats (and/or school) fall below an arbitrary and yet undefined pedigree standard, get just a couple lines writing them off as "a blocking TE" without any note whatsoever of whether or not the guy can actually block well.

Reading scouting reports on TE prospects is always worth a chuckle or two.

Those for the mostly widely-touted prospects (Kiper Binky's) often blow a couple hundred words on praising the guy's size, athleticism, receiving stats, etc., and then end with a throwaway, "his blocking may need some work".

Then those whose athleticism and receiving stats (and/or school) fall below an arbitrary and yet undefined pedigree standard, get just a couple lines writing them off as "a blocking TE" without any note whatsoever of whether or not the guy can actually block well.

Brings to mind the genius projections some experts had for Ebron, ASJ and Amaro in the weeks leading up to the 2014 draft.

With the rise of spread offenses, decreased number of padded practices and the lack of proper NFL level protection schemes on college levels projecting college TEs in terms of blocking is as much of a crapshoot as you can ask for. Hell they cant even project OL properly..

I wouldn't be against poaching Jenkins from the Jets.
ASJ played well this season.

The current presence of a player does not demand the future presence of said player.
I agree

We keep 5-7 STO players. Richards is competing with them for his roster spot. And, yes, we need to look at specific ST roles to truly be able to assess his value better.

I understand that many starters are special teamers, as well as many backup players. However, personally, I wouldn't want any of the following playing positions, although some might be OK with one or two of these players.

Slater
Bolden
Grissom
King
Ebner

IMHO, Bademosi is OK as a 5th CB, although he is primarily a special teamer.

I agree

We keep 5-7 STO players. Richards is competing with them for his roster spot. And, yes, we need to look at specific ST roles to truly be able to assess his value better.

I understand that many starters are special teamers, as well as many backup players. However, personally, I wouldn't want any of the following playing positions, although some might be OK with one or two of these players.

Slater
Bolden
Grissom
King
Ebner

IMHO, Bademosi is OK as a 5th CB, although he is primarily a special teamer.

All of those players are emergency options at their respective non-ST position. King maybe not even that. So they already essentially not playing any positions unless injuries pile up.

what an absolutely Aristotlean post...or would that be Socratic?

If the post were Socratic, it would be all questions :D

"Thereupon Glaucon approached Socrates and said, 'What of players who are stalwarts of the Patriots, much beloved and reputed throughout the polis of Boston, and everywhere close-by, and even by far-flung colonies? Shall we not retain those players?'

Socrates replied, 'Glaucon, first I must say that you are known to me and to all other fans as a wise draft prognosticator, and seer of free-agent moves. Your football wisdom is beyond that of your humble servant, so I will try to follow closely what you say.

Now, do you say that a Patriot can be of such high and well-earned repute that he must of needs be indispensable to the Team?'

'No, Socrates, I have not said that, for Belichickes hath said so many times, though it be buried in other topics, that the Team is most important, not the individual.'

'Then would we say, Glaucon, that Belichickes acts upon this thought?'

'Most certainly. I can attest from the day we 'chose to be introduced as a team,' through his dispassionate discarding of beloved players of years past, that Belichickes says, 'see - this is our Team!' and allows this to stand against any argument about one player's talent or repute.'

'Then Glaucon, what of Tomis Brades?'

'That is not fair, Socrates, for Tomis Brades, being the GOATis, is the needful exception; but even this exception prioritizes the team in contract talks, by cap-friendly accommodation.'

'Then Glaucon, what is your thought as to your answer to your question? For I am a lover of wisdom, but I know nothing.'

'Why Socrates, now that we have discoursed on the matter, I would assert that there are not Patriots of such well-earned high repute who are so beloved that they must be retained.'

'Yes, this seems to be the case.' "

All of those players are emergency options at their respective non-ST position. King maybe not even that. So they already essentially not playing any positions unless injuries pile up.

I would not want Slater, Ebner or King playing a position, even with two injuries.

I agree that Grissom and Butler can play if there are a couple of injuries. Bademosi is also in that category.

I would not want Slater, Ebner or King playing a position, even with two injuries.

I agree that Grissom and Butler can play if there are a couple of injuries. Bademosi is also in that category.

I dont understand what is confusing about emergency depth. I also would rather not have Julian Edelman or Chris Hogan be a full time QB even with two injuries in a game happening but having game roster limits means you have to make those concessions.

I dont understand what is confusing about emergency depth. I also would rather not have Julian Edelman or Chris Hogan be a full time QB even with two injuries in a game happening but having game roster limits means you have to make those concessions.

Emergency depth isn't confusing at all.

With 2 injuries at WR, I would play the others more, use RB's and TE. I wouldn't use Slater. So, I don't consider Slater an emergency WR, any more than I consider him an emergency safety. Ditto with regard to Ebner and King. With 2 injuries, I wouldn't want them playing. I don't even think that we really know what position King plays.

I put Grissom and Bademosi in a different category. they are not backups. They are indeed emergency players at their positions. With 2 injuries at DL, I would expect Grissom to get some reps, ditto with regard to Bademosi and CB.

Don't think it's worth it's own thread - but Bennett won his fight against the Packers who were trying to recover his signing bonus.

System arbitrator rules for Martellus Bennett in signing bonus fight

Summary: Bennett won because the arbitrator said the Packers lost their standing to recover the signing bonus when they waived him. So it was won based on technicalities rather than the actual claim itself (which wasn't considered due to the technicality).

Yeah, really didn't think GB had much hope there once they waived him. Almost seemed like a pro forma filing to appease their fan base.

We all know Bennett can't stay healthy, noting complicated here.

Don't think it's worth it's own thread - but Bennett won his fight against the Packers who were trying to recover his signing bonus.

System arbitrator rules for Martellus Bennett in signing bonus fight

Summary: Bennett won because the arbitrator said the Packers lost their standing to recover the signing bonus when they waived him. So it was won based on technicalities rather than the actual claim itself (which wasn't considered due to the technicality).

Packers fans are already crunching the numbers to show how advantageous this was for Brady, while the GOAT Rodgers just won his ninth ring with Belichick in a parallel dimension.

We all know Bennett can't stay healthy, noting complicated here.
I was never a fan due to various reasons, but it’s possible that he may be the next best thing if Gronk hangs them up.

I was never a fan due to various reasons, but it’s possible that he may be the next best thing if Gronk hangs them up.

Maybe. But, in terms of "currently under contract" options ...

Allen (27) caught 126/199 (63%) for 1451 yards (11.5 YPC) and 19 TDs during his five seasons in Indy. Even though he's shown next to nothing with the Pats so far doesn't mean that he never will. And we already know that he's a great blocker.

Wille Tye (26) has caught 94 of 138 (68%) for 897 yards (9.5 YPC) during his 2 seasons with the Giants (and a partial 2017 with the Jets). Don't know about his blocking, though.

Jake Hollister (24) is very athletic for a TE, has now established himself as a very good special-teamer, and could still develop.

I think when Gronk goes (sooner or later) the prominence of the TE role in the passing offense goes with him, at least for a couple-three years. I really don't see the Pats merely subbing-in a considerably "lesser version" of Gronk and trying to do the same things as they did with Gronk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes