PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ben Watson Suspended 4 games to Start the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t think 2019 Watson is the key cog. But obviously NE wanted him despite the impending suspension.

I may be wrong, but my understanding of the NFL’s testing for teatosterone is that it only flags very significantly elevated testosterone. Typically, someone prescribed testosterone for homone replacement therapy would only be given enough to return to a normal level. A 22 yo elite male athlete probably has much higher testosterone levels than the average middle aged guy. And then the NFL provides some additional leeway bc some people naturally have abnormally high testosterone. So the allowable level of testosterone is very high. So for a 38yo retiring from the NFL to elevate his T above this very high threshold and get a positive? I have a hard time believing it was to treat low testosterone or depression or low libido or whatever. On the other hand, I really dont care and I think virtually everyone in the NFL is on some PED.

Ok, so we start the season 3-1 and then we get Watson at TE.

By week 15, we're 12-2 and Gronk comes out of retirement to get ready for playoffs.

Works for me.:D

Sounds like he knew this was coming when he decided to return.
He was so sure about retiring he took PEDS.
Going through camp at his age knowing he has to go home for a month when games start seems likely to push him back to the retirement decision.

OH NO!!
@robertweathers has lost the respect of some anonymous self important internet denizen who doesn't understand the meaning of the word. How will he ever survive??!!
Oh wait...
tenor.gif

...never mind
The “OH NO!” part got me laughing knowing what was going to follow.

Ace sleuth Roger Clouseaudell was obviously on the case and nabbed Watson by following the pecker tracks...

Hmm last couple of times I checked, we won Super Bowls those same years.

I honestly think some of these events that cause the pats to in effect gain a roster spot early in the season end up helping them. With pup the player can’t practice, but a suspended player can do full training camp until the games start, then return once likely one or two players might have been hurt by then, or more clearly played themselves out of playing time

Watson is a smart guy, but this was uninformed. Testosterone doesn't heal body or mind.

Seriously no(none!) offense Brother Mark but it does, and the bad rap it's gotten from gross overuse/misuse (thank Arnold Schwarzenegger and those other Test OD FAR beyond genetic potential super human physiques, among others). It's effect on the body (and mind) just from a vanity perspective is big. No, I'm not advocating for it for vanity use, absolutely not! And while it has the best vanity potential in a bottle in existence by far (maybe up to 6 solid months at the gym in a bottle -- but doooon't do it!), the androgenic potential can be scary. Yet it's potential for medical healing(mind and body), in proper usage cases, is what many people would consider borderline "wow". Men with low T who are brought up to the top of normal range (not to middle normal, top of normal-900 n/ml blood)? Mind and body healing....oh yea. For women, and IMHO sadly, because it is an androgenic there was little study of women and anabolic until fairly recently. Check it out, while not fully conclusive (the bad rap caused pharma/medicine to shy away), just a small 25 ng per deciliter of blood increase can have pretty damn amazing physical and mental benefits likely without the bad side of the androgenic potential. Pre teen growth problems, certain diseases. maimed bodies from injury, there is a lot to strongly suggest (again not fully conclusive-bad rap) it's got power for body (and mind) healing.

But it has that bad rap and in large part (besides gross misusage)that comes down to the androgenic potential and how wack that can be (*if you're a man taking it it will mess with your 'man things'[even including markedly increasing the otherwise small amount of estrogenics], and if you're a woman taking it it will definitely give you man things and probably mess with your woman things). *BUT this is variant type, dose, usage period dependent. It's all about finding the right type, dosage and usage period (and what I'll call proper 'come down' follow up) without the androgenics causing issues for people. Bottom line, it deserves a bad rap for how it was misused but don't mistake that for the excellent potential it does have when used right.

As a side note example of anabolic androgenic's grossly unrestrained potential: Look up some reading on Tren19 (just an fyi if looking it up, Anabolics are based on the testosterone molecule[androgenics] but the "19" variant can be most freaky). I can't speak for now but in the day it was mostly obtained by extracting it from certain cattle feed(yikes! right?). And that original Tren19, what it will do to the human body in just a couple months is borderline scifi in terms of fat loss and muscle density-size gain (even if you don't work out it's effects can still be very notable in fat loss and muscle gain). While that is not an endorsement of using it (hell no!! this stuff isn't, or at least wasn't, human grade), it is an example of what its power is and, IMHO, the obvious medical benefit if studied, vetted, harnessed properly and applied correctly in proper use cases.
For Tren19, think about this next time you are enjoying a new york strip or ribeye steak. They'd feed Tren19 by the bucket loads to cattle. The cattle would put on massive amounts of "steak" and shed the otherwise little uses of the fat (yummy! let's have a Tren19 steak! Pass the A1 sauce :):))

Eat more fish instead

He was so sure about retiring he took PEDS.
Going through camp at his age knowing he has to go home for a month when games start seems likely to push him back to the retirement decision.
Its possible but to say likely now is a stretch. Maybe if he gets injured in camp it might push him but he knows hes going to go home after camp now and the plan still is to play.

I’m pretty ok with this...

giphy.gif

Actually, Ken, we know now.

His statement says very clearly that he discussed this with the clubs he was in negotiations with and the Pats offered him a contract knowing that a suspension was imminent.

View attachment 23409
Yeah, Mike, I saw that after I posted. Then aside for missing the 4 games this is now a non-issue. They knew EXACTLY what they were getting into and did the deal anyway. Like I said in the original post, a 38 year old is probably better off playing just a 12 game regular season anyway.

On the plus side whatever money he loses with the suspension might be put back in the cap, that's about $.65MM. Not much but add it to what we can offer McCoy when he visits.

They really should change the PED/drug policy to only prevent people from using performance enhancing meds...not meds that allow you to heal faster like HGH nor illegal drugs that only harm performance.

I am cool with this as the Pats knew this beforehand. We're very lucky to have Watson given that we lost Gronk and missed out on Jared Cook.

The two bodybuilders I've asked about HGH have said it provides nearly immediate increase in their ability to lift more weight, for more reps, over a longer workout session. I'd call that performance enhancing.

His **** don't work
Sometimes it only requires something new, fitter and appealing... just saying. Unfortunately faithful men are stuck with taking all kinds of chemicals into their bodies.

So ASJ, LaCosse & Izzo to start the season, Izzo back to the practice squad when Watson comes back. Not ideal, but if we get 30 catches out of Watson I’d be thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST