PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick's end of season speech / excuses to team

Status
Not open for further replies.
sad scream queens GIF

I hate Belichick. The big meanie.

So every comment every person ever makes in any conversation is set in stone, black and white and they are bound to it for life?

Yeah. That’s exactly what I said. Very solid reading comprehension here. No way this is a logical fallacy at all. No, sir.

And preferring to coach players I like is not an all encompassing statement that I want to like them and that matters more than skill.

How else should one take this statement?

He said, ‘At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else.'”

Because that sure sounds like he’s putting a relationship above skill on the belief that he can coach lesser guys up while putting more of a premium on liking who he is coaching, which was what the conversation between he and Meyer was all about in the first place. There’s not really any other way to take that aside from literally. It’s either that, or he truly thought that N’Keal Harry, for example, was a more skilled wideout than Brown or Metcalf or McLaurin. If THAT’s the case, Houston... we have bigger problems. You think he put a priority on skill when he went with Cam as the starter? Of course you don’t. You’ve made that more than known.

He brought back Jamie Collins and never seemed to like him much, for example. No way he liked Van noys personality for another

Upon what basis are you making this statement on? Has he said anything remotely negative about either guy that I missed?

But would the Pats accept that deal? We'd have the other team's draft plus our own - but McDaniels is head coach and he's sucked everywhere he's been in that position. Yikes.
I don't think Orchids of Patriot Place would.

Kraft needs BB more than ever to navigate the rebuild.

If the Jets get Watson or Fields they are in better position than us for next year. It's amazing how fast things change in the NFL.
That franchise has ZERO leadership and no accountability.

Need those first. Then you can win.

Yeah. That’s exactly what I said. Very solid reading comprehension here. No way this is a logical fallacy at all. No, sir.

How else should one take this statement?

He said, ‘At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ He said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else.'”

Because that sure sounds like he’s putting a relationship above skill on the belief that he can coach lesser guys up while putting more of a premium on liking who he is coaching, which was what the conversation between he and Meyer was all about in the first place. There’s not really any other way to take that aside from literally. It’s either that, or he truly thought that N’Keal Harry, for example, was a more skilled wideout than Brown or Metcalf or McLaurin. If THAT’s the case, Houston... we have bigger problems. You think he put a priority on skill when he went with Cam as the starter? Of course you don’t. You’ve made that more than known.

Upon what basis are you making this statement on? Has he said anything remotely negative about either guy that I missed?
We disagree.

Sorry, man. Yea some fans just demanding for BB to repent in some way so they have a singular reason for a 7-9 season because they don't have the brainpower or are incapable of understanding the reasons are multiple.

No worries. Yeah, the season was frustrating, but as I told someone shortly after it ended: our QB was a train wreck, the WR and TE positions were severely lacking, free agent departures caused our defense to take a step back and we were hit harder than any other team by opt outs. We still went 7-9 and won one of those games 45-0. We're spoiled.

There is no point in arguing you are committee to what you think and I couldn’t imagine something i would disagree with more. So we disagree and move on. Unless you want to just fill pages with *****y retorts.
??? It was a GIF of a black guy saying “Okay” to bring a finality to the conversation since that’s what you seemed to want. I thought you would find it humorous more than anything else. The hell is you talkin’ bout, Willis?

This *****y narrative about Belichick making excuses is tired.

19 consecutive winning seasons, 17 division titles, 13 AFCC game appearances, 9 Super Bowl appearances, 6 wins. Yeah, Bill the general manager is a bum.

Covid is reality. The opt outs were real. The lost practice time was real. The complete lack of cap space was real.

Belichick the GM sold out the future cap from 2017 - 2019 to get Brady another ring. This is why we could not afford Brady in 2020. It succeeded. What is there to not understand?

If Belichick wanted to keep Brady, he would have had to let DMac and Thuney walk. If he wanted to acquire Stephon Diggs to convince Brady to stay, he would have needed to move Gilmore to make the cap space AND give up a 1st, 3rd and 4th to swing the deal.

Do the Patriots make the playoffs with Brady, Diggs, a depleted offensive line and a secondary missing its two best players? Maybe. Do they make it to the Super Bowl? Almost certainly not.

There was no way to keep Brady AND build a competitive team around him. It was a mathematical impossibility. Again, what is it that we continue to fail to understand?

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would take this season and draw such an incredible amount of judgment on Belichick's part.

I will say, drafting has _got_ to get better on the offensive side.

But ************, anyone who expected us to go.... Toe to toe with the Bucs? Or Brady? Was and is delusional. Belichick was entering a rebuild. Accept it. In a crazy, unprecedented season of football.

What I saw this year was a team that, albeit terribly offensively challenged, hung around for quite a bit, hanging with some of the best teams and keeping it close (for the most part).

This whole "he's giving excuses" narrative is silly and just a projection lmao.

Clearly he should have gone through every player on the team and explained, in detail, why each and everyone of them failed and contributed to the team not making the playoffs.

That's how Bruce Arians treats Tom Brady. And he threw 40TDs and made the Super Bowl :excited:

The man himself executed that trade... a full 4 seasons ago. That there wasn’t a back-up plan in place when he clearly wasn’t okay with offering a multi-year deal to Brady is still on him. He’s the GM and he’s the HC. The buck stops with hi

No worries. Yeah, the season was frustrating, but as I told someone shortly after it ended: our QB was a train wreck, the WR and TE positions were severely lacking, free agent departures caused our defense to take a step back and we were hit harder than any other team by opt outs. We still went 7-9 and won one of those games 45-0. We're spoiled.

Absent Newton getting COVID, it's probably 10-6 and a wildcard.

The best way to think of 2020 is it's 2009 again.

Frankly, I have not seen patsfans this worked since before the 2010 draft when 2/3 of the board wanted BB sacrificed for having zero strategy to deal with the tight end position.

This *****y narrative about Belichick making excuses is tired.

19 consecutive winning seasons, 17 division titles, 13 AFCC game appearances, 9 Super Bowl appearances, 6 wins. Yeah, Bill the general manager is a bum.

Covid is reality. The opt outs were real. The lost practice time was real. The complete lack of cap space was real.
Boom. The great equalizer. Without the proper preparation, Belichick isn't able to coach up players to the level they need to be. The field is leveled.

Clapping Applause GIF

??? Being negative when the situation warrants it is being objective. So is being positive when the situation warrants it.

i'm not going to get into a pissing match over semantics. i'll just leave it at, i prefer being a glass half full guy as opposed to a glass half empty guy.

Call it what you want. It is what it is. 2020 season is the COVID season. It benefitted the teams who did not have significant changes. These are facts. If people can't admit to these simple facts, they may harbor other agendas.
Great point! Oh wait, Brady went to a new team with new coaches and new teammates, no OTA's, abbreviated camp, no preseason games, and he MADE IT TO THE SUPER BOWL! At age 43! No excuses needed for Brady, the Buccaneers or Bruce Arians (who apparently has more of a backbone than Belichick). Excuses galore from and for Belichick. Weak. I thought BB was a genius?... Do Your Job... unless you fall flat on your face when faced with adversity.

Great point! Oh wait, Brady went to a new team with new coaches and new teammates, no OTA's, abbreviated camp, no preseason games, and he MADE IT TO THE SUPER BOWL! At age 43! No excuses needed for Brady, the Buccaneers or Bruce Arians (who apparently has more of a backbone than Belichick). Excuses galore from and for Belichick. Weak. I thought BB was a genius?... Do Your Job... unless you fall flat on your face when faced with adversity.

Is that the guy who threw 3 picks in the second half at Green Bay and was bailed out by Green Bay's incompetence?

Tampa is the same team who needed a QB. Completely different situations.

It's just that brains are required to tell the difference.

No.

If you are the NYJ or any perennially hopeless team owner that hasn't made the playoffs in decades, you'd gladly give up the entire draft for a proven winner like BB.

The season ticket sales alone justify it.

The problem is you're then asking a coach to build in his system while also having to skip his first draft entirely. That's a really fast way to hit cap issues early by having to build completely through free agency, and then in year two and three when you should have some young talent hitting their stride, instead you now have rookies. Giving up a single 1st for Belichick in 2000 is one thing, but losing an entire crop of young players for one of anything (be it player or coach) is rarely a good idea.

The problem is you're then asking a coach to build in his system while also having to skip his first draft entirely. That's a really fast way to hit cap issues early by having to build completely through free agency, and then in year two and three when you should have some young talent hitting their stride, instead you now have rookies. Giving up a single 1st for Belichick in 2000 is one thing, but losing an entire crop of young players for one of anything (be it player or coach) is rarely a good idea.
I think Bill would do just fine with UFAs and manageable veteran contracts for a year.

He'd trade players that didn't fit his system for picks. Maybe trade a future year pick for a current year pick.

As we've seen from him, lots of ways to build a competitive NFL roster.

i'm not going to get into a pissing match over semantics. i'll just leave it at, i prefer being a glass half full guy as opposed to a glass half empty guy.
I’m a Glass Lives Matter guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots