PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick criticism mega-thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should've won SB 52 if that huge ego didn't bench Butler.
I think so too. But probably would have lost others if he didn't run such an authoritarian ship. Adalius Thomas didn't much like the late to practice / late to curfew rules either. But anyone can play this game over and over and over. What if this player did that, what then? Etc. Left out of this is all the genius decisions that messed the other team up.

For instance, not only coaching Malcolm Butler, a UDFA rookie, on a specific play that the Seahawks like to use down at the goalline, but also not taking a timeout because he knew that Carroll would be forced to panic and not run the ball 3 times. Genius. Brady was great that game, Butler made the hero play, but without Belichick's coaching, prep, and genius on the sidelines, they don't win.

I think so too. But probably would have lost others if he didn't run such an authoritarian ship. Adalius Thomas didn't much like the late to practice / late to curfew rules either. But anyone can play this game over and over and over. What if this player did that, what then? Etc. Left out of this is all the genius decisions that messed the other team up.

For instance, not only coaching Malcolm Butler, a UDFA rookie, on a specific play that the Seahawks like to use down at the goalline, but also not taking a timeout because he knew that Carroll would be forced to panic and not run the ball 3 times. Genius. Brady was great that game, Butler made the hero play, but without Belichick's coaching, prep, and genius on the sidelines, they don't win.
Malcolm Butler wasn't the only person shocked by Bill Belichick's decision to bench him for the entirety of Super Bowl LII. Across the field, Eagles coaches and players also couldn't believe what they were seeing.

"After the first series or two. We were like, '[Butler's] not in the game!'" an Eagles assistant told TheMMQB.com's Andy Benoit. "They have 23 [Patrick Chung] in there. That's crazy!'

BB genius? Stop it man. He lost us that SB. Blame him, because we lost it because of his HUGE ego.
He could slap Butler after the game, lock him up in a dungeon for 1 year, I don't give a ****, but not in a SB just to prove he is the MASTER.

Tampa paid him 9 mi and guess what?
It was worth it. 2 SB tuddies and awesome blocking all the way.
As a short-term option, of course it did. They won the SB. Tampa is a dog-**** franchise and had nothing to lose.

They had the cap space to absorb Gronk's salary. He was healed up and was in a good frame of mind.

Regarding authoritarian ship, take a look at Tampa. Look Arians, how authoritarian he is. And he could still win a ring, because he had the humility to adapt his system and not let his ego **** the team.

As a short-term option, of course it did. They won the SB. Tampa is a dog-**** franchise and had nothing to lose.

They had the cap space to absorb Gronk's salary. He was healed up and was in a good frame of mind.
He was treated better.
If someone treats you like **** for a long time, you will start to feeling depressed at some point.

When people treat you better, you can be more yourself, happier, like he stated: he was happier this season.

He was treated better.
If someone treats you like **** for a long time, you will start to feeling depressed at some point.

When people treat you better, you can be more yourself, happier, like he stated: he was happier this season.
Yea. Gronk was treated like ****. Give me a ****ing break with that garbage.

Foxboro isn't "12 Years a Slave Part 2" for Christ's sake.

BB works the team hard. Gronk *****ed about his deal. End of story.

Last edited:
On the other hand, you have Marty Schottenheimer (RIP) who gets blamed for the loss for the 2006 AFCDG vs the Pats when Marlon McCree ran around like an idiot and got stripped by Troy Brown after an game clinching INT. There's video of Marty telling his DB's that if they intercept Brady late, just fall on the ground.

In the end, players have to make the play and Butler did. Sure Bill was prepared for the Seahawks possibly running that play, but that was a major risk on his part. Had he guessed wrong or Butler didn't make the play, BB gets crucified for not only running down the clock as he did, but for another Super Bowl collapse. I think Brady probably would've left earlier than expected had that happened. He looked pretty defeated watching Bill's D let the opposing offense walk right down field for a 3 straight time on the final drive of the Super Bowl.

You are lying to yourself if you were down with the clock running like it was when the Seahawks were at the 1 yard line.

Malcolm Butler wasn't the only person shocked by Bill Belichick's decision to bench him for the entirety of Super Bowl LII. Across the field, Eagles coaches and players also couldn't believe what they were seeing.

"After the first series or two. We were like, '[Butler's] not in the game!'" an Eagles assistant told TheMMQB.com's Andy Benoit. "They have 23 [Patrick Chung] in there. That's crazy!'

BB genius? Stop it man. He lost us that SB. Blame him, because we lost it because of his HUGE ego.
He could slap Butler after the game, lock him up in a dungeon for 1 year, I don't give a ****, but not in a SB just to prove he is the MASTER.
You're fixated on one game. I just gave you an example of the other big game where Butler figured. Yet you ignored that. It's just a bad faith conversation at this point.

Thanks for proving my point. When did 12th in points and 17th in yards become elite?!?

When did 14 passing TDs in 11 of 15 games become elite? And why did you exclude the other four games? Brady in 2003 had 23 TDs and 12 INTs with a completion percentage of 60.1% and 85.9 QB rating. None of that says elite. In fact, you can argue that is either average or below average. Now I am not saying he was average or below average, but his product was.

And in 2001, he had 18 TDs and 12 INTs in 14 1/2 games. Again, not horrible. Not elite. But the Patriots were 21st in passing yards. And they were 20th in passing TDs. Where is this elite?
The elite part is when and under what circumstances the stats occured. Lots of quarterbacks had more stats. Lots of quarterbacks were less impactful with them. You cant play fantasy football to judge a quarterback's elite value.

On the other hand, you have Marty Schottenheimer (RIP) who gets blamed for the loss for the 2006 AFCDG vs the Pats when Marlon McCree ran around like an idiot and got stripped by Troy Brown after an game clinching INT. There's video of Marty telling his DB's that if they intercept Brady late, just fall on the ground.

In the end, players have to make the play and Butler did. Sure Bill was prepared for the Seahawks possibly running that play, but that was a major risk on his part. Had he guessed wrong or Butler didn't make the play, BB gets crucified for not only running down the clock as he did, but for another Super Bowl collapse. I think Brady probably would've left earlier than expected had that happened. He looked pretty defeated watching Bill's D let the opposing offense walk right down field for a 3 straight time on the final drive of the Super Bowl.

You are lying to yourself if you were down with the clock running like it was when the Seahawks were at the 1 yard line.
It was absolutely Bill's decision not to call a timeout that forced Carroll to throw the ball there.

In fact, I would bet Belichick even knew the play they were going to run!

How can you not credit Belichick there? It boggles my mind. He forced Carroll into throwing (and I totally understand why Carroll HAD to throw on one of the downs, because there wasn't enough time to run it on all of them).

He was treated better.

I heard it's also a lot of "fun" to play in Philly.

A lot of good that did them. They are now once again an NFL laughingstock.

This kind of thing is written in the DNA of these sad sack franchises. They can have all the fun losing that they want. I prefer Super Bowls.

It was absolutely Bill's decision not to call a timeout that forced Carroll to throw the ball there.

How can you not credit Belichick there? It boggles my mind. He forced Carroll into throwing (and I totally understand why Carroll HAD to throw on one of the downs, because there wasn't enough time to run it on all of them).
There are a number of posters who refuse to give BB credit for anything.

They are the "Cancel BB Crowd"

Yea. Gronk was treated like ****. Give me a ****ing break with that garbage.

Foxboro isn't "12 Years a Slave Part 2" for Christ's sake.

BB works the team hard. Gronk *****ed about his deal. End of story.
Gronk said that. I don't give a **** about your opinion. Garbage my ass, Gronk said.

You're fixated on one game. I just gave you an example of the other big game where Butler figured. Yet you ignored that. It's just a bad faith conversation at this point.
Defense almost gave the game.
Butler made a HUGE play. He was trained, yes. He was prepared, yes. But he executed the play.

Yes, it is indeed a bad faith conversation.

BB cost us that SB 52. Even Eagles' coaches stated they couldn't believe.

The elite part is when and under what circumstances the stats occured. Lots of quarterbacks had more stats. Lots of quarterbacks were less impactful with them. You cant play fantasy football to judge a quarterback's elite value.
Thank you.

I heard it's also a lot of "fun" to play in Philly.

A lot of good that did them. They are now once again an NFL laughingstock.

This kind of thing is written in the DNA of these sad sack franchises. They can have all the fun losing that they want. I prefer Super Bowls.
NEP were nothing before and after Brady.

And now, BB can stay his sub 0.500 track, as the loser he is without Brady.

Sure, I'll give him credit for guessing right. However, my point still stands that the player still has to make the play and it was a major risk on his part when his D's had collapsed two previous times.

Would Bill be a "genius" had Butler whiffed on the ball and the Seahawks scored? That was my point about Marty, he prepared his team, they didn't listen but Marty gets blamed.

Last edited:
T

There are a number of posters who refuse to give BB hate for all bad things he did.

They are the "BB lick ass Crowd"

Bill is a sub .500 coach without the GOAT. FACT. Until that changes, "it is what it is".

Sure, I'll give him credit for guessing right. However, my point still stands that it was a major risk and the player still has to make the play.
Yes, I agree with you. I give BB credit to get his player prepared. But the player had to execute and, first of all, his defense could not hold that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes