PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: "McDaniels is as good as gone"

Status
Not open for further replies.
McDaniels would be silly to leave for a perennial loser like Cleveland or Jacksonville or the Bills. Josh McDaniels isn't stupid. Why would he leave for one of those teams when he has the honor of coaching the G.O.A.T Quarterback Tom Brady and being in the hunt for SuperBowls every season?

Something like 10x the money and 10x the visibility is pretty tempting. It all depends on how appealing the on-field and off-field situation is.

I don't want to think about this nor is Josh he is thinking about Miami and then it will be the second round of the playoffs and then the AFC championship game followed by the SB. Then and only then will he consider his next move for himself.

Loved Tennessee Tuxedo....

Yep - including the sideshow great Commander McBrag.

Little known fact: Commander McBragg is a Jets fan...

hqdefault.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Almost every one.

Buffalo and New York (assuming Bowles gets canned) have terrible ownership. They'd also be within the division, something I think Josh would like to avoid. Cardale Jones, EJ Manuel, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, nothing on either roster resembles a capable QB.

The Bears (if Fox is fired) don't have a franchise QB but a pretty decent D. They will also have some solid draft capital to work with, and if they re-sign Alshon Jeffery, the outline of a decent offense minus a QB. They'd be younger than either AFC East team, but I don't consider this a great opportunity.

LA, despite the sun and large market, doesn't seem like a great destination. I'm not a huge fan of Snead as GM, and they have $21M in dead money on the books this year from his past mistakes. They've mortgaged their immediate future for Goff, who doesn't really look that promising yet. Trumaine Johnson and Kenny Britt are both FAs. They will have about $45M in cap room to try and sign/replace those guys.

The Jaguars are...well, the Jaguars. They do have a ton of cap room, talent at all levels, and only a year left of the Blake Bortles experience but he's probably worth keeping based on his money and potential. Then again, you have a lethargic fan base combined with a clueless owner. The GM may or may not be good. But this is probably one of the few openings he should be looking at.

The Chargers, assuming McCoy is gone, would be the other. Philip Rivers, a ton of talented young players like Keenan Allen and Joey Bosa, and just plain luck. The Chargers have had absolutely awful injury luck, they have to be healthier. They've also lost a ton of games in fluky ways. They're due a quick turnaround just by the simple regression to means. Then again, we have no idea where the franchise will be in a year, and Josh has mentioned his family several times so that may matter more to him than other candidates.

The Bengals could be the most attractive from a roster perspective, assuming the rumours about Lewis being forced to "retire" are true. Dalton may not be a franchise QB, but he's more than capable of leading an NFL offense (Josh went with Kyle ****ing Orton remember). Then again, he has to work for one of the cheapest owners in the history of football.

So maybe 1 or 2 of the potential openings really seem worth pursuing. He should absolutely stay away from some of them though. Young coaches may get a second chance, but if he bombs this, I don't know if he'll get a third. If he fails again, he could be unfairly branded like Norv Turner or Wade Phillips, a brilliant coordinator who doesn't have the "it" to be a head coach. I don't believe that is true, but it doesn't matter what I believe, but what the league narrative of him is. So he can't just take the first opening that comes his way.

McDaniels would be silly to leave for a perennial loser like Cleveland or Jacksonville or the Bills. Josh McDaniels isn't stupid. Why would he leave for one of those teams when he has the honor of coaching the G.O.A.T Quarterback Tom Brady and being in the hunt for SuperBowls every season?

Now if Green Bay or Indianapolis positions became available, I think he would have a tough time turning those positions down. Quite frankly Chuck Pagano is the WORST headcoach in the entire league. Andrew Luck looked like a superstar under Bruce Arians and has regressed considerably under Chuck Pagano these past couple of seasons. Don't be surprised if Indy gets rid of Pagano.

Luck has had the Injury bug and I think they are a bad team over all.

Buffalo and New York (assuming Bowles gets canned) have terrible ownership. They'd also be within the division, something I think Josh would like to avoid. Cardale Jones, EJ Manuel, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, nothing on either roster resembles a capable QB.

The Bears (if Fox is fired) don't have a franchise QB but a pretty decent D. They will also have some solid draft capital to work with, and if they re-sign Alshon Jeffery, the outline of a decent offense minus a QB. They'd be younger than either AFC East team, but I don't consider this a great opportunity.

LA, despite the sun and large market, doesn't seem like a great destination. I'm not a huge fan of Snead as GM, and they have $21M in dead money on the books this year from his past mistakes. They've mortgaged their immediate future for Goff, who doesn't really look that promising yet. Trumaine Johnson and Kenny Britt are both FAs. They will have about $45M in cap room to try and sign/replace those guys.

The Jaguars are...well, the Jaguars. They do have a ton of cap room, talent at all levels, and only a year left of the Blake Bortles experience but he's probably worth keeping based on his money and potential. Then again, you have a lethargic fan base combined with a clueless owner. The GM may or may not be good. But this is probably one of the few openings he should be looking at.

The Chargers, assuming McCoy is gone, would be the other. Philip Rivers, a ton of talented young players like Keenan Allen and Joey Bosa, and just plain luck. The Chargers have had absolutely awful injury luck, they have to be healthier. They've also lost a ton of games in fluky ways. They're due a quick turnaround just by the simple regression to means. Then again, we have no idea where the franchise will be in a year, and Josh has mentioned his family several times so that may matter more to him than other candidates.

The Bengals could be the most attractive from a roster perspective, assuming the rumours about Lewis being forced to "retire" are true. Dalton may not be a franchise QB, but he's more than capable of leading an NFL offense (Josh went with Kyle ****ing Orton remember). Then again, he has to work for one of the cheapest owners in the history of football.

So maybe 1 or 2 of the potential openings really seem worth pursuing. He should absolutely stay away from some of them though. Young coaches may get a second chance, but if he bombs this, I don't know if he'll get a third. If he fails again, he could be unfairly branded like Norv Turner or Wade Phillips, a brilliant coordinator who doesn't have the "it" to be a head coach. I don't believe that is true, but it doesn't matter what I believe, but what the league narrative of him is. So he can't just take the first opening that comes his way.
But you don't have unlimited offers wherever and from whomever you want. If you pass up an offer you may not get another.
winning teams don't often hire HCs. There is also the fact that to be truly successful in the long run it doesn't really matter what you inherit it's what you do with it. Coaches believe that culture and leadership produce winning programs and aside from poor ownership or an incompetent GM they expect to succeed wherever they go.

His injury "bug" is being saddled with a crappy ol and poor coaching and scheme causing him to get pummeled.

So ridiculous, this and the Schefter "Pats want a 1st and a 4th at least for JG", yet the Pats are THE most close mouthed organization in sports. These guys are talking out of their asses. Earlier in the month we had-Source, "we'd be SHOCKED if the Pats traded JG". So ridiculous, I guess these writers need clicks to keep their jobs. None of these bozos have sources inside the organization.

Schefter was simply answering a question he was asked about the Patriots asking price.

If he gets the right opportunity I think he'll go, but he's not leaving just for the sake of it.

Rogers is 33, and his injuries are beginning to pile up. That job's got a shelf life.

At the top. But he's got a chance to groom the replacement, has a good base to work from, and most importantly, has stable ownership that doesn't fly into a panic and fire the coach every time something goes wrong.

If I were McD and had that much leverage, I'd negotiate a poison pill for being fired less than three years in as my "meet this condition or we have nothing to talk about" clause.

And he'd be working for Grigson and Irsay, who he knows spurred the entire deflategate nonsense that tarnished his team and reputation. No way.

Only those of us showing a few gray hairs can appreciate that great response.

Incredible that Tennessee Tuxedo first hit the airwaves when Jack Kennedy was POTUS.

At the top. But he's got a chance to groom the replacement, has a good base to work from, and most importantly, has stable ownership that doesn't fly into a panic and fire the coach every time something goes wrong.

If I were McD and had that much leverage, I'd negotiate a poison pill for being fired less than three years in as my "meet this condition or we have nothing to talk about" clause.

Hitching the wagon to a declining QB, in the hopes that you'll be lucky enough to find his replacement, seems like a great prescription for getting fired. Now, Rodgers may play another decade, with greatness all the way, but we've seen what happens to his game when his mobility gets limited, and I'd be worried about that if I were looking at that job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes