PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: "McDaniels is as good as gone"

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you don't have unlimited offers wherever and from whomever you want. If you pass up an offer you may not get another.
winning teams don't often hire HCs. There is also the fact that to be truly successful in the long run it doesn't really matter what you inherit it's what you do with it. Coaches believe that culture and leadership produce winning programs and aside from poor ownership or an incompetent GM they expect to succeed wherever they go.

Hold on.

If you pass up an offer, you may not get another?

There will be 6-10 head coaches fired next year. And the year after that. And the year after that. It's not unlimited, but it's not like we're talking about the CEO job of a Fortune 100 company that might come up once in a decade. He will have options as long as he continues to be productive.

Culture and leadership and all that don't matter if ownership doesn't give you the time to implement your program entirely. You are hired to be fired in the NFL, so you better make sure you get your fair shot.

That's what happened to Josh the first time around, and one reason why he hasn't been so active the past few years in pursuing one of the many openings.

But we are getting off-track. Do you believe if Josh doesn't take a job this off-season, he won't be considered for others? Because his name was circulated last year too, and the year before that.

If anything, owners should take note that he's not desperately pursuing anything he can get, so when he seriously gets active, he felt totally ready for it.

But you don't have unlimited offers wherever and from whomever you want. If you pass up an offer you may not get another.
winning teams don't often hire HCs. There is also the fact that to be truly successful in the long run it doesn't really matter what you inherit it's what you do with it. Coaches believe that culture and leadership produce winning programs and aside from poor ownership or an incompetent GM they expect to succeed wherever they go.

Josh has the advantage that his name will not cease to be "hot" at the very least as long as Brady doesn't regress. It's more important for him to land at a place with the right GM/power structure (like @Deus Irae said) than anything else especially because this might be his last big chance to make it as a HC.

I am sure if there is anything he learned from this time at Foxboro it's the importance of running a consistent program and having ownership that supports that and has the patience to see it through.

Agree with what was said above. Bedard was really a good read and Twitter follow, then early 2015 he got very "I'm smarter than you simple fans, I have a Degree!" and he went to the toilet. I swear he comes to this website and those weekly listening threads he was given went straight to his head.

I don't think Josh will go somewhere without knowing who his QB will be or having a high draft pick to grab a QB from college he wants. He must have learned his lesson with the whole Cutler fiasco in Denver.

. . .

The Chargers, assuming McCoy is gone, would be the other. Philip Rivers, a ton of talented young players like Keenan Allen and Joey Bosa, and just plain luck. The Chargers have had absolutely awful injury luck, they have to be healthier. They've also lost a ton of games in fluky ways. They're due a quick turnaround just by the simple regression to means. Then again, we have no idea where the franchise will be in a year, and Josh has mentioned his family several times so that may matter more to him than other candidates.

. . . So he can't just take the first opening that comes his way.

The two bolted parts are at 180 degrees apart. SD is too uncertain to accept a job there and neither location (SD or LA) is going to ever provide a committed fan base. It just isn't in that region's mentality (too much sun/fun to attend gamei

If I'm McDaniels teams that would interest me if HC job available would be

Lions: I say they lose against GB and Caldwell gets fired they have a great QB, good receivers, okay D there's a good base to work with there.

Jacksonville: Plenty of talent all across the roster just couldn't get it going this year. Bortles can improve with Josh. Very easy division as well

Rams: Would be an interesting choice but I don't believe Goff is a franchise QB.

Chicago, 49ers, San Diego would also be teams I think he'd go for. Of course that's only if those HC jobs are available

Hold on.

If you pass up an offer, you may not get another?
It's his career not some dude he talks about on a message board. He can't risk that. The offers haven't been pouring in yet. You act as if he can pick the job. He can't.

There will be 6-10 head coaches fired next year. And the year after that.
When is the last time 10 HCs were fired in one year?

And the year after that. It's not unlimited, but it's not like we're talking about the CEO job of a Fortune 100 company that might come up once in a decade. He will have options as long as he continues to be productive.
There are 32 jobs and hundreds of candidates. What were his prospects in all the seasons he coached without the goat at QB? Brady will be 40. What do you the no happens to McDaniels image if as soon as Brady is done his offense becomes average?

Culture and leadership and all that don't matter if ownership doesn't give you the time to implement your program entirely. You are hired to be fired in the NFL, so you better make sure you get your fair shot.
And there may be one or 2 teans like that. Coaches that get fired early usually were not HC material and proved it.

That's what happened to Josh the first time around, and one reason why he hasn't been so active the past few years in pursuing one of the many openings.
He earned his first firing.
Hasn't been active in pursuing? Are you kidding. You really think assistant coach PURSUE owners and that's how they get hired? McDaniels said he wouldn't interview before the patriots season was over not that he was turning down jobs.

But we are getting off-track. Do you believe if Josh doesn't take a job this off-season, he won't be considered for others? Because his name was circulated last year too, and the year before that.
Name circulated doesn't mean jobs offered.
Look it's a risk he would take. Every year there are new hit candidates touted. Will teams waste their time with a guy who acts as if he djezbt want to be a HC ( if he did what you suggest and turn down offers). I doubt it.

If anything, owners should take note that he's not desperately pursuing anything he can get, so when he seriously gets active, he felt totally ready for it.
That would be perceived exactly the opposite of what you think in a competitive position like NFL coach.

Josh has the advantage that his name will not cease to be "hot" at the very least as long as Brady doesn't regress. It's more important for him to land at a place with the right GM/power structure (like @Deus Irae said) than anything else especially because this might be his last big chance to make it as a HC.

I am sure if there is anything he learned from this time at Foxboro it's the importance of running a consistent program and having ownership that supports that and has the patience to see it through.
That Brady dynamic is something you may not want to pass up jobs hoping he stays healthy and good long enough to get this dream job offer.

I mean how many jobs are out there that meet this criteria and how many of them could be open in the next few years.
How many of those don't have an internal candidate? Or a GM with a favorite who isn't McDaniel

I wouldn't risk my career on the chance that I can get this seemingly obscure job and turn down ones I can get.

Some comments on the comments:

1. I have no problem with what Bedard says about the HC'ing market, but the headline is COMPLETELY ludicious. McDaniel has up to 4 more games to coach, and he'll start to look at the opportunities in the by week, it won't be a big deal. He knows what the interview process is all about. This isn't his first go around.

2. Anyone who wants him might have to wait until Feb. to hire him.

3. Do NOT underestimate the influence of his wife and young family have on this decision. They like it here. It's not about the money so much. He's reportedly making a LOT for an OC. It is not an easy decision to move a young family, with lots of kids in school, when you are not unhappy and the current money is good. AND you had a really bad experience the last time you tried it.

4. The key thing is to make it your last stop in an era where the patience level of owners seem to be at an all time low. That's why I think it has to be the perfect situation. If he is going to move on.

5. The Rams would seem to be a good spot. You have an owner who is going to stay away from football operations. You will have great facilities in an area of the country FA's will want to come (until the ground falls away and the water dries up) He's worked with this team before, so it might have been a good experience, which would be a plus. AND then you come to Jared Goff. Bedard's article talked about him "having flashes", like they were JG "flashes". Geoff couldn't get on the field all season, and when he finally did he's been horrible. NO FLASHES.

6. Jacksonville has the best owner but it's JACKSONVILLE for christs sake. This is a poor man's Orlando, and I'm 70, and I wouln't move to Orlando, let alone with a young family. And then if you went there, the first thing you'd have to do is deal with Blake Bortles

7. Cleveland - Bad owner bad town, great fans, and they aren't getting rid of their HC

8. To my mind Chicago would be the best place. Good ownership Great town, great historical franchise, improving team, and you can take JG with you and be way ahead of the game. The thing there is that John Fox probably doesn't deserve to get fired.

9, In the end, I think there will be much ado about nothing. He WILL check things out and do his due dilligence, but he's still young. He will remain on the hot list for a long time to come. And none of the jobs look like they are special enough to move. He'd either be saddled with a QB not of his making, or, in the case of the Colts, he's be saddled with an owner like Irsay.

JM has to make sure he's making the right decision if he decides to go; some coaches keep getting chances but I would guess that most don't and this would be his second time around. Some things to think about are the QB situation, the GM situation and the owner situation. If the Colts job opens up, he could probably help Luck reach his potential, but with Grigson and Irsay...not so good. He would need to have control like BB, which is hard to get, or come in with a new GM who would be his ally. I hope he stays, but if he goes I hope he makes the right decision for himself.

Bedard has become a joke since he started to appear on Felger and Mazz. He use to be good at breaking down film but then he started to think that he is smarter than BB.

Despite Bedard's "expertise," no NFL team has decided to add him to their front office.

It's his career not some dude he talks about on a message board. He can't risk that. The offers haven't been pouring in yet. You act as if he can pick the job. He can't.

When is the last time 10 HCs were fired in one year?

There are 32 jobs and hundreds of candidates. What were his prospects in all the seasons he coached without the goat at QB? Brady will be 40. What do you the no happens to McDaniels image if as soon as Brady is done his offense becomes average?

And there may be one or 2 teans like that. Coaches that get fired early usually were not HC material and proved it.

He earned his first firing.
Hasn't been active in pursuing? Are you kidding. You really think assistant coach PURSUE owners and that's how they get hired? McDaniels said he wouldn't interview before the patriots season was over not that he was turning down jobs.

Name circulated doesn't mean jobs offered.
Look it's a risk he would take. Every year there are new hit candidates touted. Will teams waste their time with a guy who acts as if he djezbt want to be a HC ( if he did what you suggest and turn down offers). I doubt it.

That would be perceived exactly the opposite of what you think in a competitive position like NFL coach.

There's a lot to go back and forth here, but simply put, we see him differently. From what I've seen and read, he's a very desired candidate, and he should be more selective about his options. You feel otherwise.

I do believe there will be other opportunities if he is truly a deserving candidate. And if he's not, then he might end up missing out on a head coaching gig he could have had for 2 or 3 years before being exposed and fired (refer to Rex Ryan), but in the big picture, it won't really matter because he'll be done as a HC. But if Josh wants to last, he should find the right situation.

Obviously it's rare for a Super Bowl winner to offer up the job, bad teams tend to fire their coaches, but some situations are better than others. The Rams situation sucks because you are stuck with Goff, and you can't add a lot of talent via the draft because of what was given up to acquire him. The Jaguars situation is better because you have a ton of money and the ability to bring in your own guy at QB if you want. Both jobs are not equal opportunities, and both don't carry the same chance of success regardless of how smart someone is. Even BB got fired.

And recently, we've seen long-time coordinators get gigs like Zimmer and Arians, so I don't think there is an expiry date on talented coordinators. He may not always be as hot a candidate as he is now, but there's always opportunities.

As for the number of opportunities, 10 is a bit high as the average over the past few years is 7. But several more should have been. For example, last year 7 were fired (Coughlin "resigned" but really, we know what that is about), while guys like Gus Bradley, Jeff Fisher, Chuck Pagano, and Mike McCoy were given another year to waste.

There are also worse fates than sitting in New England, winning championships, and potentially taking over for BB when he does retire. If Kraft is comfortable with him, he would be a great transition when BB does decide to step down. The question is whether Josh wants to wait that long. But it's nice to know you're not desperate for work, and when you're not desperate, you can afford to be more patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call