PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/2: News and Notes

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/2: News and Notes
Ian Logue
Greg Bedard of the Boston Sports Journal has started beating the drum for New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft to step down, with NBC Sports Boston helping to amplify that sentiment on Monday after having Bedard on to discuss that very topic.

The post Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/2: News and Notes appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

The Patriots Situation Wasn’t Conducive to Success in Free Agency

New England may have been flush with cash along with having plenty of cap space, but there honestly couldn’t have been a worse time for them to be in this situation given all the issues they’re facing.​

The whole "Pats have so much cap space" talking point may have been factually correct - but was meaningless without context.

First of all, when the 2024 cap rose more than expected, that allowed teams to retain players they would not have been able to re-sign under the old numbers. But there is a second part of the equation that has been completely ignored. That is the number of players that are signed through the following season or beyond, versus the number of players about to hit free agency.

At first glance if Team A has $80 million in cap space, it appears to be in a better cap situation than Team B, who has $50 million in cap space. But if Team A has 20 players about to hit free agency while Team B only has six soon to be free agents, the picture changes dramatically.

An extreme (albeit absurd) example would be a team with $254 million in cap space. Sounds great - until you realize there is not a single player on the roster signed through the following season.

Had the Patriots extended Onwenu, Henry, Jennings, Bourne and Uche in the offseason, the Pats cap number would have been much lower - but it also would have resulted in a more accurate portrayal of their 2024 cap situation.

Zolak seems to have missed one point on Dugger: a team offering him a deal tied up their cap space for some time until the Pats decide whether or not to match.

I've been waiting for Bob to give way to Jon for about a decade now. He's certainly been preparing long enough, and has done most of the heavy lifting over the years running the business side of the team. Now I say this with the strong belief that Bob Kraft is perhaps the best owner in this town and perhaps the best in the league.

He gets a bad wrap from the media, who job it IS to build them up so they can tear them down. Kraft bought the team for what was a record amount. He built a quality stadium ON HIS OWN. He literally wrote the blueprint on how to to deal with stadiums and then watched it totally ignored by the corrupt NFL as they ignored it.

He led the team to UNPRECEDENTED long term success for 20 freakin' years, only to be vilified for using the same common sense spending strategy that ALLOWED for the length of that success, by the media and fans. That "cheap" label the media and certain fans want to label him with is both not factual, but just bad fiscal strategy. Someone posted a stat that said the Pats are well within the top half of the league in spending so far in this FA season. IIRC, they were 7th in one of the spending stats. though I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

I haven't agreed with Kraft on every issue that has arisen over the 30 odd years he's own the club. But there is NO doubt that the success of this franchise has gone from a laughing stock to respect. It pisses me off EVERY DAY when I realize that that POS Jerry Jones is in the NFL HOF and Bob Kraft isn't.

The Patriots Situation Wasn’t Conducive to Success in Free Agency

New England may have been flush with cash along with having plenty of cap space, but there honestly couldn’t have been a worse time for them to be in this situation given all the issues they’re facing.​

Had the Patriots extended Onwenu, Henry, Jennings, Bourne and Uche in the offseason, the Pats cap number would have been much lower - but it also would have resulted in a more accurate portrayal of their 2024 cap situation.
Yes, that would have been the case. We then should have been viewed to have a HUGE amount of cap space, able to sign 9 new players and still have more cap money than any other team.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back