PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Because hyperbole is mind-numbing when it becomes "truth"...

What I find odd is that fans here are jumping through hoops to defend an obviously flawed QB after being critical of the GOAT for a 12-4 season with the same offense and more injuries.

IOW, why should Cant Newton be immune to criticism when he gives us so much to criticize?

here's one guy with ridiculous hate for Newton......who else?

Tom Brady is gone......there is no Tom Brady

I never cared much for him, but I never hated him. I see him as a bullsh!tter that was never as good as he talked. He's proving that here.

your previous post says otherwise

Belichick has led this team to more success than any coach/gm has ever led any team to, and he is getting destroyed on this board yet the QB who showed a total lack of awareness, horrible accuracy, slow and poor decision making led the offense to pathetic results somehow is immune to criticism.
I don't get it either. And to take it a step further, those of us who care about the team and express our criticism of the QB repeatedly get criticized for it. This is a crazy time to be a Pats fan.

Ultimately to win in the playoffs, a QB has to be able to beat superior defenses from the pocket. Great defenses can hem a QB in and prevent him from doing as much damage with is legs, force him to stay inside and makes throws in tight windows. This is true whether we're talking Cam, Lamar Jackson, Mike Vick or Randall Cunningham. None of these guys are good enough passers to beat a great defense from the pocket. In order to win a Super Bowl, these guys would have to face 3-4 bad defenses in the playoffs and statistically that's near impossible.

This means you'll be good enough to win regular season games against stiffs, put up great fantasy stats and be good on John Madden Football where passing accuracy is utterly skewed. Consider that the greatest QB in history was arguably the worst running QB in the league. Passing is the job, running is just frosting.

Early Cam was okay passing, not great or accurate, but Cam with two shoulder surgeries on his throwing arm at 32 not so much.

They need a QB.

Cam essentially could not throw even though he faced nothing but stacked boxes that tried to only stop the run and did not even play lip service to the pass.

I always come back to what I saw as his biggest issue last season, throwing for a 3rd down conversion. He ran for plenty of first downs but I have zero confidence I. His ability to throw for a first down when it matters.

I'm a huge fan of Cam. He needs to be better for us to make the playoffs. We all saw the poor throws and missed opportunities. Some of us think he can improve; some of us don't. I appreciate the people who relentlessly want to upgrade the team at all spots. I also appreciate thoughtful posts that show the potential Cam has in this offense. Sometimes I lean more one way than another, but we should all remember that this is just a game. Who cares if you're right or wrong? I fall into the same trap of superiority all the time, and I don't even know half as much about the game as most people on here. We're all just posturing, in the end. Enjoy the season. :)

Take the emotion out of it and Cam is a broken down QB. His mechanics are awful and his shoulder is toast. I listen to Zo who is a Pats homer but he knows QBing and he says the same thing. My grandma has a shorter release time then Cam. It looks like he is shot putting the ball. Possibly due to his shoulder. He’s also lost a lot of strength in that arm, once again due to his shoulder. His accuracy is horrid. We saw Brady for years put those passes right in the spot the receiver could catch it in stride and keep running. With Cam you never know; in the dirt, behind, to far in front...

Bottom line is we need to move on from Cam.

Okay, right up front: I've never been a big fan of Cam Newton's game. Probably because I was watching guys playing with rocks long before football was ever invented, I prefer the pocket passer. Always have.

That said, the hyperbolic viciousness against Cam Newton here isn't just absurd, it's cancerous, and the kind that numbs your mind. Yes, UGLY throws probably count a lot more in the memory section of your brain, but, well, let's let Hurley take it from here.

He does a great job of tearing down a strawman there.

CAM CAN NEVER EVER COMPLETE A SINGLE PASS is hyperbole. Proving it wrong is trivial, because nobody seriously believes it. People say/post/tweet hyperbole but "disproving" that doesn't really say anything meaningful except that you're a pedantic dork.

It's an objective fact that Cam's overall performance as a passer was bad. He can't argue against that because there is no argument against that, so he engaged in misdirection and semantics.

He does a great job of tearing down a strawman there.

CAM CAN NEVER EVER COMPLETE A SINGLE PASS is hyperbole. Proving it wrong is trivial, because nobody seriously believes it. People say/post/tweet hyperbole but "disproving" that doesn't really say anything meaningful except that you're a pedantic dork.

It's an objective fact that Cam's overall performance as a passer was bad. He can't argue against that because there is no argument against that, so he engaged in misdirection and semantics.
Yeah, I'm not sure posting clips of an NFL QB completing passes is really a great defense of anything...like, really? He was able to complete passes?

I'd like to think that Cam Newton is on a very short leash in 2021.

Other than QB the offense is better on paper than it was last season. If (when?) he still sucks then I think the team should have no problem recognizing that quickly and pulling the plug and giving our QB2/draftee/whoever a look. No excuses this time.

Hyperbole is a weird, bastard child of boredom, emotion, fear, and desire for attention. It is more concerned with the quality of the quip than the quality of the information. It should be given the attention it deserves (none) rather than the attention it craves (all). What Hurley is doing here is just feeding the bad wolf.

Seeking out the craziest takes to argue with them is intensely silly, especially since those kinds of Hot Takes are either deliberate attention whoring or just somebody going over the top out of frustration.

It's like when people say CAM'S ARM IS DEAD (hyperbole) because they think the ball looks like garbage leaving his hand too often (visibility true at times) and somebody goes WELL AKSHULLY KINESIOLOGY SUGGESTS HE DOES IN FACT HAVE A LIVING ARM. It's a technically true statement that conveys no useful information to anybody involved, because the thing it's refuting was either a deliberate troll job or just an emotional outburst by a fan frustrated that their team lost a lot.

I always come back to what I saw as his biggest issue last season, throwing for a 3rd down conversion. He ran for plenty of first downs but I have zero confidence I. His ability to throw for a first down when it matters.
The thing is he didn’t escape the rush and run for first downs on pass plays barely at all.
Every 3rd down I would hope the rush would flush him out before he could throw because there was a much better chance to run for it but he just seemed uninterested in doing that.

Hyperbole is a weird, bastard child of boredom, emotion, fear, and desire for attention. It is more concerned with the quality of the quip than the quality of the information. It should be given the attention it deserves (none) rather than the attention it craves (all). What Hurley is doing here is just feeding the bad wolf.

This is a very elegant post. I wish I wrote it.

Imagine that offense is taken with a counter view that dispels the despair of hopelessness on the very bizarre argument that, "they care about the team".

In Cam we trust!

The thing is he didn’t escape the rush and run for first downs on pass plays barely at all.
Every 3rd down I would hope the rush would flush him out before he could throw because there was a much better chance to run for it but he just seemed uninterested in doing that.
He would just get sacked

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back