PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's Offensive Line preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP#40

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I read in this draft section all the time that BB likes big DE's and OLB's that can set the edge. Does anyone else find this odd? Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Volmer, Connolly, Kaczur, LeVoir, Wendell, Ohrnberger and Ojinnaka. I know I will get flack for not being politically correct, but 10 out of 11 are white in a league that I believe is 67% black. The math does not work.
I don't believe in coincidences, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that someone in the organization prefers white OL's.

I read in this draft section all the time that BB likes big DE's and OLB's that can set the edge. Does anyone else find this odd? Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Volmer, Connolly, Kaczur, LeVoir, Wendell, Ohrnberger and Ojinnaka. I know I will get flack for not being politically correct, but 10 out of 11 are white in a league that I believe is 67% black. The math does not work.
I don't believe in coincidences, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that someone in the organization prefers white OL's.

If you think BB would lessen his chances to win a ring because of someone's color I have a bridge to sell you.

Did you bother to look into how many linemen on other teams are white? PLENTY of O-linemen are white, so are most of the guys in the Worlds Strongest Man competition, does that mean they're disqualifying blacks?

Colts-Offensive-Line.jpg

offensive-line.jpg

7796744.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

display_image.jpg

102410-invesco52--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

20100917__BRONCOS_PRACTICE_JL374~p1.jpg

Do some research next time before throwing out accusations.

Did you bother to look into how many linemen on other teams are white?

Ignoring the utter absurdity of this topic, I was going to point out the same thing. If you're breaking down statistics, you need to keep it all uniform. If you're questioning the race of offensive linemen on one team, you must compare it to other teams. You can't simply site stats about the entire NFL or athletes in general or country-wide statistics or worldwide numbers.

Ignoring the utter absurdity of this topic, I was going to point out the same thing. If you're breaking down statistics, you need to keep it all uniform. If you're questioning the race of offensive linemen on one team, you must compare it to other teams. You can't simply site stats about the entire NFL or athletes in general or country-wide statistics or worldwide numbers.

Absolutely. OL & QB are the whitest positions in the league. Besides which, it's nonsensical to think that a team would randomly focus on skin color for, say, right guards but not tight ends or inside linebackers. What bizarre kind of racism would that be?

If the OP cares to look for REAL trends, try vertical jump numbers -- the Pats OL is like a world-class hurdling team, super-heavyweight division. They're a very book-smart group, too. That's why I never thought L'Accademia Dante would go for Michael Oher despite his physical talent, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pick a guy like Derek Sherrod.

I guess its a good thing that BB weeded all the white guys out of the defense......keep things kinda even

well........there is wright, ninkovich, and fletcher.....and tracy white

no.......wait......white is black, but he has a white name.......maybe we should balance that out by trading for quincy black...but we do also have sergio brown.....is he white? or is he half italian?

I think this year, the pats should shoot to draft WR AJ Green and RB Alex Green.....but then again, the pats already have Green-Ellis though they did have Jarvis GReen last year

could draft
WR Deandre Brown
TE Virgil Green

I am disappointed to say there are no OL of 'color' in the draft this year

If we drafted DT Mike Blanc, would that still be considered 'white'? How about Anthony Gray?

at CB, we could draft curtis brown, chykie brown, and jalil brown.......would that help satisfy? and at safety we could add ahmad black and johnny brown.....

would that give the pats enough color?

Absolutely. OL & QB are the whitest positions in the league. Besides which, it's nonsensical to think that a team would randomly focus on skin color for, say, right guards but not tight ends or inside linebackers. What bizarre kind of racism would that be?

If the OP cares to look for REAL trends, try vertical jump numbers -- the Pats OL is like a world-class hurdling team, super-heavyweight division. They're a very book-smart group, too. That's why I never thought L'Accademia Dante would go for Michael Oher despite his physical talent, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them pick a guy like Derek Sherrod.

no they're not.......kicker and punter are even whiter

Besides which, it's nonsensical to think that a team would randomly focus on skin color for, say, right guards but not tight ends or inside linebackers. What bizarre kind of racism would that be?

Well to be completely honest ... I am racist against white long snappers, black 3rd basemen and kiosk workers who wear hats.

See, I was expecting to see something like an interior OL measurable of 6'2"-6'4", 300-315 with OTs 6'4"-6'8", 305-320; 10 yard splits in the 1.85 range, verticals of 30+ inches, a minimum of two years starting, assessed by draftnik scouts as technicians, prospects drafted in the first three rounds likely to follow the 2000-2010 draft trend of college LT's only, wrestling and track experience considered a plus ... not to mention that the Shrine Game seems to be a favored hunting ground for Coach Scarnecchia and his most recent scores were LTs from non-AQ, mid-major conferences and were all 1st team ALL-Conference as seniors.

Odd that I never noticed any preference for a player's tan; it never occurred to me to suspect Coach Scarneccia of skin tone preference, not when so many of the reserves fit the measurable descriptors above while sporting richer toned tans. I wonder what it meant when NE traded for Ojinnaka last season?

First of all, your first sentence isn't even remotely related to the subject of this thread. Second, the only reason that 10 of our 11 O-linemen are white is just by coincidence. Nothing more, nothing less. If BB had a chance to grab Pouncey last year, you can bet your ass he would've.

Yeah cuz them darkies aint smart enuf to play offense

Just to be perfectly clear I was being sarcastic. And RIP#40 is an idiot.

Box_O_Rocks said:
See, I was expecting to see something like an interior OL measurable of 6'2"-6'4", 300-315 with OTs 6'4"-6'8", 305-320; 10 yard splits in the 1.85 range, verticals of 30+ inches, a minimum of two years starting, assessed by draftnik scouts as technicians, prospects drafted in the first three rounds likely to follow the 2000-2010 draft trend of college LT's only, wrestling and track experience considered a plus ... not to mention that the Shrine Game seems to be a favored hunting ground for Coach Scarnecchia and his most recent scores were LTs from non-AQ, mid-major conferences and were all 1st team ALL-Conference as seniors.

Can we please turn it into a conversation based upon that? Something with substance and not some nonsensical ramblings about how our coach is a closet racist?

Odd that I never noticed any preference for a player's tan; it never occurred to me to suspect Coach Scarneccia of skin tone preference, not when so many of the reserves fit the measurable descriptors above while sporting richer toned tans. I wonder what it meant when NE traded for Ojinnaka last season?

He thought he was Japanese?

When did Yates, Bussey and Hilliard become white boys?

I'll try and gather some of the offensive linemen numbers over the years of BB drafts. I have nothing better to do until the combine numbers come in. The only thing that really stands out from memory is the lack of experience many of them had. I get the impression the team likes to train the linemen themselves. They almost always take on players who are still learning the positions. Experience seems to hurt an offensive lineman's value in the eyes of BB.

Some of the recent draft picks:

Larsen - converted defensive lineman
Welch - converted tight end
Vollmer - converted tight end
Ingram - converted defensive lineman
Oldenburg - converted tight end

Then of course there's the wrestlers we've signed, Stephen Neal, Jermail Porter, John Wise, etc.

Well, while we're on the subject of proportional representation, are we sure the Pats have enough Brandons on the roster?

This is the dumbest thread ever! I also noticed that BB only drafts black Cornerbacks! HAHA Just like the rest of the NFL!

I'll try and gather some of the offensive linemen numbers over the years of BB drafts. I have nothing better to do until the combine numbers come in. The only thing that really stands out from memory is the lack of experience many of them had. I get the impression the team likes to train the linemen themselves. They almost always take on players who are still learning the positions. Experience seems to hurt an offensive lineman's value in the eyes of BB.

Some of the recent draft picks:

Larsen - converted defensive lineman
Welch - converted tight end
Vollmer - converted tight end
Ingram - converted defensive lineman
Oldenburg - converted tight end

Then of course there's the wrestlers we've signed, Stephen Neal, Jermail Porter, John Wise, etc.
You'll still note Vollmer, who is the only one of those listed above taken in the first three rounds of the draft, was a two year starter at LT (25 straight games started). He's 6'7.5" 312 as of his Pro-Day, his college OL coach was the same OL coach who trained Nick Kaczur who was considered very technically sound so Coach Scar was satisfied he had good coaching, his Pro-Day 10 yd split was 1.77 and his vertical jump 36.5", further he was a college LT.

Larsen, Welch, and Oldenburg, all round six or later draftees also were two year or more starters. Ingram was a long snapper and does not fit this discussion.

Neal, Porter, and Wise were all Undrafted Free Agents who came in and were either let go or signed to the Practice Squad.

BB has drafted five OL in the first three rounds of the draft:
-- Klemm
-- Light
-- Mankins
-- Kaczur
-- Vollmer

All LTs with at least two seasons starting experience. Light is the only one from a BCS Conference, all the others are from mid-majors. The most recent three were all first team ALL-Conference, both Mankins and Kaczur were considered excellent technicians, and as noted Vollmer had a good OL coach whom Scar liked.

You'll still note Vollmer, who is the only one of those listed above taken in the first three rounds of the draft, was a two year starter at LT (25 straight games started). He's 6'7.5" 312 as of his Pro-Day, his college OL coach was the same OL coach who trained Nick Kaczur who was considered very technically sound so Coach Scar was satisfied he had good coaching, his Pro-Day 10 yd split was 1.77 and his vertical jump 36.5", further he was a college LT.

Larsen, Welch, and Oldenburg, all round six or later draftees also were two year or more starters. Ingram was a long snapper and does not fit this discussion.

Neal, Porter, and Wise were all Undrafted Free Agents who came in and were either let go or signed to the Practice Squad.

BB has drafted five OL in the first three rounds of the draft:
-- Klemm
-- Light
-- Mankins
-- Kaczur
-- Vollmer

All LTs with at least two seasons starting experience. Light is the only one from a BCS Conference, all the others are from mid-majors. The most recent three were all first team ALL-Conference, both Mankins and Kaczur were considered excellent technicians, and as noted Vollmer had a good OL coach whom Scar liked.

This is an amazingly insightful post when you consider the thread it was written in.

This is an amazingly insightful post when you consider the thread it was written in.

This thread is like a beautiful garden, sprouting from a bed of manure.

The Pats do have a very predictable o-line profile. It's notable that lightly regarded prospects who fit their profile (e.g. LeVoir) have seemed to do better here than higher-rated guys who don't (e.g. O'Callaghan).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes