PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Offseason Outlook - Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your tireless efforts on a daily basis, JMT...I appreciate all the work you do.

Thank you for your tireless efforts on a daily basis, JMT...I appreciate all the work you do.
Thanks for your insight, commentary and wit; I appreciate all that very much as well.

If anybody was wondering about Matt Light and the Patriots, it appears as though the two sides have implicitly agreed to wait until after the CBA is done before they talk about a new contract.

Boston Herald - Rap Sheet - Patriots LT Matt Light, who wants to return, likely won’t seek deal until labor shakes out

The Patriots have privately expressed interest in keeping Light, I’m told. Perhaps a three-year deal for slightly more than he was making this year would allow the former second-round pick would return. Yet Light isn’t quite ready to talk yet.

The Patriots union rep hasn’t hid his desire to stick around, and that includes talks with the team. But don’t expect it all to come together quickly.

Light’s plan is to table all discussions until after a Collective Bargaining Agreement is struck.

Last edited:
While on the subject of the Offensive Line, NEPatriotsDraft.com has the Pats investing heavily on the OL on Day Two of their latest mock draft.

2011 Patriots Mock Draft 4.0 | NE Patriots Draft

2nd Round – #33

Derek Sherrod (OT, Mississippi State) is the guy that does nothing spectacularly, but everything well. He is probably the most complete left tackle in this draft, but lacks some of the upside of the guys like Nate Solder and Tyron Smith.

If the Patriots decide to slide Sebastian Vollmer to the left side to eventually replace Matt Light, you can substitute guys like Gabe Carimi or Anthony Castonzo in here. Both of those prospects are able to play either tackle position.

2nd Round – #60

Stephen Neal. Logan Mankins. Dan Koppen. All of the aforementioned stalwarts of the Patriots interior line could be gone after 2011, with Neal and Mankins probably having played their final game for the Foxboro faithful. Enter John Moffitt (OL, Wisconsin), who brings with him the nastiness and toughness that Coach Scarnecchia adores. He is also from Wisconsin, which just might help.

Moffitt moves well for a 320 pound guy and has the ability to play both guard and center. That is the sort of versatility that will turn heads in the offices of Gillette Stadium.

3rd Round – #74

After addressing the interior line with Moffitt and the edge with Sherrod, you might think that the Patriots would be done with the offensive line. If Clint Boling (OL, Georgia) is available here though, they may have a tough time not adding some quality youth and depth at the position.

Boling is great in pulling and screen situations, which really boosts his value to the Patriots. His experience playing four OL positions at Georgia will also look good to the New England front office.

Read more at: 2011 Patriots Mock Draft 4.0

Thanks for your insight, commentary and wit; I appreciate all that very much as well.

If anybody was wondering about Matt Light and the Patriots, it appears as though the two sides have implicitly agreed to wait until after the CBA is done before they talk about a new contract.

Boston Herald - Rap Sheet - Patriots LT Matt Light, who wants to return, likely won’t seek deal until labor shakes out

Our OL cannot stop the faster-pass rushers (ala: Baji, Matthews, Frenney, ..). Light is no different.

If we can get Light for cheap, then ok.

Either case, we need to draft a OT and OG.

I;m hoping for some of these guys:

Castonzo
Solder
Carimi
Sherrod

Matt Light, Logan Mankins Negotiations Will Dictate How Patriots Approach Free Agency, NFL Draft - New England Patriots - NESN.com - Jeff Howe

Howe takes a look at 14 NFL free agent offensive linemen, and how they may or may not be a fit for the Patriots.

Two players will completely shape the Patriots' offseason strategy. Left tackle Matt Light and left guard Logan Mankins are free agents, and how the Pats do business with them will determine the way the team allocates the rest of its resources in free agency and the draft.

If the Patriots retain Light and Mankins -- Light seems like more of a sure thing than Mankins at this point -- they'll probably stay quiet in free agency, and they'll have the ability to stock up on the draft's high-caliber defensive prospects. Obviously, the opposite will be true if Light and/or Mankins find new teams.

With that, here's a look at the 2011 class of free-agent offensive linemen.

Head of the Class
1. Mankins only had to play in nine games to earn a Pro Bowl vote. He's very well-respected.

Diamond in the Rough
Guard Alan Faneca's best days are obviously behind him, but the 34-year-old can still play and he's good for team chemistry. With a handful of really good young guards on the market, Faneca won't get a ton of money, but he'll help whichever team that signs him.

Read more at: Matt Light, Logan Mankins Negotiations Will Dictate How Patriots Approach Free Agency, NFL Draft

Free-Agent Fit: Offensive Tackle - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston - Mike Rodak

RATING THE NEED: Moderate

KEY CONSIDERATION: The Patriots have one starting tackle in Vollmer, but uncertainty at the other spot. Ten-year starter Matt Light is a free agent and may not return. Kaczur turns 32 in July and is coming off a season-ending back injury.

NOTABLE TARGETS ON THE MARKET: Matt Light (Patriots), Quinn Ojinnaka (Patriots), Ryan O’Callaghan (Chiefs), Jermon Bushrod (Saints), Jammal Brown (Redskins), Ryan Harris (Broncos), Jared Gaither (Ravens), Tyson Clabo (Falcons), James Lee (Buccaneers), Doug Free (Cowboys), Langston Walker (Raiders), Sean Locklear (Seahawks), Willie Colon (Steelers)

MOST LIKELY TARGETS FOR PATS: Light, Ojinnaka

SLEEPER POSSIBILITY FOR PATS: O’Callaghan

WRAP IT UP: If the Patriots are unable to re-sign Light, they are unlikely to turn to a light free agent crop at the position to fill the void. Instead, look for the replacement at the position to be home-grown.

I'm going to disagree with Rodak's final assessment. If the Patriots for some reasondo not re-sign Light then it seems to me that they should consider signing another free agent tackle. If not they head into 2011 with Vollmer and Kaczur as their starters, backed up by Ojinnaka (if re-signed), LeVoir, Maneri, and maybe a draft pick. Some stop gap vet would need to be brought in before a rookie was ready to take over.

Read more at: Free-Agent Fit: Offensive Tackle

Last edited:
You are presuming that a stop-gap vet would be a better choice than Kaczur or a rookie RT. Rookies do start at RT in this league. I see us drafting a RT with one of the first 35 picks. We will choose a player who is nfl-ready rather than one that takes more time to develop. When Vollmer calme in, he was not able to beat out Kaczur. Maybe this time our draftee will beat out Kaczur, or not. As with many players, posters here underestimate Kaczur.

But, sure, we will look at veteran free agents, as we did last year. I expect that we will sign at least one free agent. For example, I would like to see Ojinnaka back on the 53. A veteran OT could be brought to camp also. After all, we need our annual reitree.

Free-Agent Fit: Offensive Tackle - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston - Mike Rodak

I'm going to disagree with Rodak's final assessment. If the Patriots for some reasondo not re-sign Light then it seems to me that they should consider signing another free agent tackle. If not they head into 2011 with Vollmer and Kaczur as their starters, backed up by Ojinnaka (if re-signed), LeVoir, Maneri, and maybe a draft pick. Some stop gap vet would need to be brought in before a rookie was ready to take over.

Read more at: Free-Agent Fit: Offensive Tackle

Last edited by a moderator:
You are presuming that a stop-gap vet would be a better choice than Kaczur or a rookie RT. Rookies do start at RT in this league. I see us drafting a RT with one of the first 35 picks. We will choose a player who is nfl-ready rather than one that takes more time to develop. When Vollmer calme in, he was not able to beat out Kaczur. Maybe this time our draftee will beat out Kaczur, or not. As with many players, posters here underestimate Kaczur.

But, sure, we will look at veteran free agents, as we did last year. I expect that we will sign at least one free agent. For example, I would like to see Ojinnaka back on the 53. A veteran OT could be brought to camp also. After all, we need our annual reitree.
My biggest concern with Kaczur is his health. Back surgery is not like having a broken wrist. In addition his cap number is high enough that he may be targeted if the Pats need to clear cap space.

Is there a chance Belichick could make a run at Tyson Clabo and put him at guard?

Perhaps less $$$ than Mankins but good enough to do the job here?

If they overpay to keep Clabo perhaps we can grab Harvey Dahl.

I think a FA on the line is like a must ... can't draft all of them.

Last edited:
If Kazcur is healthy enough to be a reasonable starter, I expect that he will make the 53. I would even pay him his salary as a bcakup. Even if we intended to start Vollmer at LT and a rookie at RT, we really need a solid backup with both OT's new at their positions on the team.

For me, cap space is NOT an issue at all. After all, we are only having this discussion if we don't re-sign Light. If we have the monye for Light, we certainly have the money for Kaczur if Light isn't here.

Finally, there is no rush. We can see who we get in the draft and we can evaluate Kazcur's health during the summer.

The bootom line is that I am find with bring in an OT to compete with Kaczur. The only cost is the player's signing bonus, not a high cost.

My biggest concern with Kaczur is his health. Back surgery is not like having a broken wrist. In addition his cap number is high enough that he may be targeted if the Pats need to clear cap space.

Is there a chance Belichick could make a run at Tyson Clabo and put him at guard?

Perhaps less $$$ than Mankins but good enough to do the job here?

If they overpay to keep Clabo perhaps we can grab Harvey Dahl.

I think a FA on the line is like a must ... can't draft all of them.
Interesting thought. How much do you think Clabo or Dahl will be looking for?

i think both of them are like on the cusp of being franchised ... hard to see the Falcons paying both of them.

Tyson Clabo won’t get franchise tag | ProFootballTalk

While looking at Atlanta’s free agency priorities on Monday, we wondered if the team would consider using the franchise tag on right tackle Tyson Clabo.

The answer came back quickly.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reported Tuesday that the Falcons don’t plan to use the franchise tag on any of their prospective free agents. Clabo, guard Harvey Dahl, and guard Justin Blalock could all hit free agency.

It will be tough for the Falcons to afford to keep even two of the players above, but they have drafted a lot of depth on the offensive line over the last few years.

Last edited:
That is not the relevant question. The more important question is "how much will they be offered by other teams?"

Free-Agent Fit: Center/Guard - New England Patriots Blog - espnBoston - Mike Rodak

RATING THE NEED: Moderate

CURRENT PERSONNEL: Logan Mankins, Dan Koppen, Stephen Neal, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Rich Ohrnberger, Thomas Austin

KEY CONSIDERATION: With Mankins assigned the franchise tag this week, the Patriots have the potential to return all three starters in 2011. However, by franchising Mankins, the team faces the possibility of another holdout, or even the tag being invalidated by legal action. At 34, Neal is no sure bet to return, and has been hampered by multiple shoulder injuries in recent years.

NOTABLE TARGETS ON THE MARKET: Carl Nicks (Saints; restricted), Robert Gallery (Raiders), Chris Spencer (Seahawks), Jonathan Goodwin (Saints), Chris Chester (Ravens), David Baas (49ers), Richie Incognito (Dolphins), Kyle Cook (Bengals; restricted), Casey Wiegmann (Chiefs), Samson Satele (Raiders), Olin Kreutz (Bears), Daryn Colledge (Packers), Davin Joseph (Buccaneers), Casey Rabach (Redskins), Kyle Kosier (Cowboys)

MOST LIKELY TARGET FOR PATS: None

SLEEPER POSSIBILITY FOR PATS: Chris Chester

WRAP IT UP: Even if the Patriots are able to get by with another year of Mankins, Koppen, and Neal, none of those players are under contract for 2012. It is more likely, though, that the team looks to re-stock those positions for the future through the draft.

Read more at: Free-Agent Fit: Center/Guard

A month into the New England Patriots' offseason, it's time to discuss intriguing options - espnBoston - Mike Reiss

Q. Hey Mike, I think Logan Mankins is one of the top five guards in the game, but I don't understand how he can be upset with the franchise tag and making those comments publicly. I think he is a great player and I hope he is a Patriot for a long time to come, but with all that's going on why doesn't he just relax and see what happens after the CBA is addressed instead of stirring the pot already? He knows no matter where he lands he will be one of the top paid at his position.

A. The biggest thing for players in Mankins' situation is long-term security and I can't blame him for trying to maximize his earnings given the short span of players' careers. Mankins is the type of player who is going to speak his mind and I think that's what we're seeing. Some players can keep it buttoned up even when they might be privately frustrated -- quarterback Tom Brady strikes me as that type of guy -- but Mankins handles it differently. I can respect that because one approach doesn't suit all. No matter what happens -- franchise tag or long-term deal -- Mankins knows he's assured of at least $10 million. That's a good start in my mind.

Q. Mike, you have talked about the Patriots extending Logan Mankins a six-year deal for $8 million per year. While I would like to have Mankins back, I am worried about the message this would send. Last year, Vince Wilfork did the right thing and was rewarded with a new contract. To give Mankins, a less valuable player than Wilfork, a larger contract extension after he held out for half a year is a bad idea. The problem with having half your roster being first- or second-year players is that they will all be up for new deals around the same time. With all the Patriots' young stars, I think they have to handle this situation very carefully. Thoughts?

A. There might be something to this from a management perspective when one considers precedent. But I think so much changes from year to year, each situation has its own dynamic, and I'd argue that the Patriots already made their point with Mankins by not budging last year. So my stance is that now the focus should be on striking an extension and letting bygones be bygones.

Read more at: A month into the New England Patriots' offseason, it's time to discuss intriguing options

Last edited:
Connolly wasn't good enough to win the starting job. Connolly wasn't good enough to win the backup job. Connolly was the 3rd option who was forced into action when the player who was "good enough to start" (Mankins) decided not to sign his tender, and the player who was being converted from tackle to guard and taking the snaps with the first team (Kaczur) got injured. Then, when Mankins came back to the team, Neal, the guy who was "good enough to start" at RG went on the IR. Connolly was not the "good enough to start" player. He was the "The guys who were good enough to start are injured, and so is the #1 backup, so he's next on the list" guy.

What part of this is too difficult for you to grasp?
Actually, its just speculation that Kaczur was ahead of Connolly. They were set to compete for the job in training camp. To say Kaczur was annointed the starter is not correct. May have turned out that way, but Kaczur wasn't healthy long enough to establish his role.

Actually, its just speculation that Kaczur was ahead of Connolly. They were set to compete for the job in training camp. To say Kaczur was annointed the starter is not correct. May have turned out that way, but Kaczur wasn't healthy long enough to establish his role.

Kaczur was working with the first unit in Mankins' absence. That's not speculation. Unless you're trying to claim that working with the first unit doesn't mean working with the first unit, Kaczur was ahead of Connolly.

Last edited:
Kaczur was working with the first unit in Mankins' absence. That's not speculation. Unless you're trying to claim that working with the first unit doesn't mean working with the first unit, Kaczur was ahead of Connolly.
How many practices did Kaczur work with any unit?
How many players have worked with the first unit in the early days of camp and not won the job under BB? A ton.
There is as much reason to believe Kaczur was with the 1s for a couple of days because they wanted to see him at a new position,since Connolly started a handful of games in 09 at G as there is to believe he had earned the starting job.
Burgess worked with the ones before he was cut too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back