PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's Offensive Line preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the OP cares to look for REAL trends, try vertical jump numbers -- the Pats OL is like a world-class hurdling team, super-heavyweight division.

Scary fact:

Devin McCourty: 36" VJ
Sebastian Vollmer: 36.5" VJ :eek:

You'll still note Vollmer, who is the only one of those listed above taken in the first three rounds of the draft, was a two year starter at LT (25 straight games started). He's 6'7.5" 312 as of his Pro-Day, his college OL coach was the same OL coach who trained Nick Kaczur who was considered very technically sound so Coach Scar was satisfied he had good coaching, his Pro-Day 10 yd split was 1.77 and his vertical jump 36.5", further he was a college LT.

Larsen, Welch, and Oldenburg, all round six or later draftees also were two year or more starters. Ingram was a long snapper and does not fit this discussion.

Neal, Porter, and Wise were all Undrafted Free Agents who came in and were either let go or signed to the Practice Squad.

BB has drafted five OL in the first three rounds of the draft:
-- Klemm
-- Light
-- Mankins
-- Kaczur
-- Vollmer

All LTs with at least two seasons starting experience. Light is the only one from a BCS Conference, all the others are from mid-majors. The most recent three were all first team ALL-Conference, both Mankins and Kaczur were considered excellent technicians, and as noted Vollmer had a good OL coach whom Scar liked.

It's difficult to analyze this without including the late round picks because the sample size we're talking about is so small. BB has only used 2 early picks on offensive linemen in the last 9 drafts. It's hard to find trends based on that. You have to go back to the 2000/2001 drafts for Klemm and Light. At that point you might as well include Steve Everitt and Ed King, who represent the earliest BB has drafted offensive linemen. I still get the impression they look for players they think can be easily molded. They often bring on board the inexperienced lineman and often pass on the more refined product. Maybe that's why we see 2 drafted early over the last 9 years vs. 11 or 12 drafted with picks 100 or higher. Maybe that's also why we see the wrestlers come in who are hungry to learn. Either way, it's tough to get a grasp on what he's looking for. I can't think of a single O lineman I ever correctly predicted us to take besides O'Callaghan and that was probably just dumb luck.

It's difficult to analyze this without including the late round picks because the sample size we're talking about is so small. BB has only used 2 early picks on offensive linemen in the last 9 drafts. It's hard to find trends based on that. You have to go back to the 2000/2001 drafts for Klemm and Light. At that point you might as well include Steve Everitt and Ed King, who represent the earliest BB has drafted offensive linemen. I still get the impression they look for players they think can be easily molded. They often bring on board the inexperienced lineman and often pass on the more refined product. Maybe that's why we see 2 drafted early over the last 9 years vs. 11 or 12 drafted with picks 100 or higher. Maybe that's also why we see the wrestlers come in who are hungry to learn. Either way, it's tough to get a grasp on what he's looking for. I can't think of a single O lineman I ever correctly predicted us to take besides O'Callaghan and that was probably just dumb luck.

The longer a guy practices/plays with bad habits/technique (by Dante's standards), the more ingrained they'll be and the longer it will take to scrub them out and develop correct ones. Unless you get a guys who's demonstrated that he readily and quickly incorporates coaching into his game.

Mankins came in earlier than I had projected, as did Vollmer (though I was less confident on him with such limited reporting), but I'm fairly comfortable with my height/weight ranges as I took those from past rosters.

I divide the roster between the first three rounds and the latter four as it seems to denote prospects expected to contribute immediately vice "projects." Round Four-Seven kids are indeed projects not expected to contribute immediately and often acquired when there already existed a competent "starter" on roster (Koppen and Woody for example). The UDFA's and Street Free Agents signed are just fodder for the measurable and characteristic expectations. Starting experience in college is one area where NE doesn't cater to one year wonders, they draft kids with a minimum of two years starting, round one or round seven, it still appears to be a requirement. Vollmer is the first 1-3 prospect who wasn't a three year+ starter, and I think he got a pass because Scar likes his OL coach.

I use the 2000-2010 range because I started this several drafts back shortly after becoming a draftnik drop-in. 2000 was closer then and a reasonable cut-off for the BB era and the offense he was bringing over with Charlie Weiss. Scar began going taller at OT with the draft of O'Callaghan and signing of Britt, prior to that Light, Ashworth, and Kaczur were essentially the same player from a measurable and mobility standpoint. Gorin was a shade taller, but also played behind Ashworth unless filling in as an injury replacement. O'C and Britt changed the paradigm on the edge, leading to LeVoir then Vollmer and Welch - limited data for a trend, but a trend nonetheless.

Mankins came in earlier than I had projected, as did Vollmer (though I was less confident on him with such limited reporting), but I'm fairly comfortable with my height/weight ranges as I took those from past rosters.

I divide the roster between the first three rounds and the latter four as it seems to denote prospects expected to contribute immediately vice "projects." Round Four-Seven kids are indeed projects not expected to contribute immediately and often acquired when there already existed a competent "starter" on roster (Koppen and Woody for example). The UDFA's and Street Free Agents signed are just fodder for the measurable and characteristic expectations. Starting experience in college is one area where NE doesn't cater to one year wonders, they draft kids with a minimum of two years starting, round one or round seven, it still appears to be a requirement. Vollmer is the first 1-3 prospect who wasn't a three year+ starter, and I think he got a pass because Scar likes his OL coach.

I use the 2000-2010 range because I started this several drafts back shortly after becoming a draftnik drop-in. 2000 was closer then and a reasonable cut-off for the BB era and the offense he was bringing over with Charlie Weiss. Scar began going taller at OT with the draft of O'Callaghan and signing of Britt, prior to that Light, Ashworth, and Kaczur were essentially the same player from a measurable and mobility standpoint. Gorin was a shade taller, but also played behind Ashworth unless filling in as an injury replacement. O'C and Britt changed the paradigm on the edge, leading to LeVoir then Vollmer and Welch - limited data for a trend, but a trend nonetheless.

Only about half of all tackle prospects in this class under 6'6" and it seems like anyone under 6'5" is almost automatically being re-classified as a guard.

Scary fact:

Devin McCourty: 36" VJ
Sebastian Vollmer: 36.5" VJ :eek:

DAAAAMN.jpg

I think the real question should be why colleges seem to segregate between OL and DL. Most of the big schools are in the south.....may have something to do with it??

I think the real question should be why colleges seem to segregate between OL and DL. Most of the big schools are in the south.....may have something to do with it??

Maybe they thinkz the whietz iz smahter than the blackz????

Worst thread EVA

In my mind this thread should be about what qualities BB looks for in O linemen.

Mobile (sloppy fat bodies need not apply)
Football Smart
Above average hip roll
Ability to sink hips and anchor
Technically superior (espeically with hand placement)
Experience in a zone blocking scheme preferred but not mandatory.
Versatile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back