PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Presser on Draft Process 4/15

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread here on this presser, and now the transcript is up:

It also got dissected by Curran and Perry on their podcast:

Bill has his usual communications style, not say anything if he can avoid it, so it becomes an exercise in reading the tea leaves. The way I read them, he isn't tremendously interested in changing his offensive scheme for someone who can't be a pocket passer, and he isn't tremendously interested in giving up the kind of draft capital needed move up high enough to get a young QB, he seems to dwell just as much on the possibility of moving down.

At one point he gave a great explanation of how he views draft position:

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what round you take the player in. Once he walks in the door, he's a New England Patriot player. He puts on the uniform and goes out there and competes. It doesn't matter if he's in the second round or fifth round. That doesn't matter once he's on your team. So, whatever his positives and negatives are, whatever he brings to the table, whatever weaknesses you think he might have or all the other things you brought up, whatever those things are or aren't, they're the same no matter where that individual player gets selected. Ultimately you want to maximize the value of the picks, but the player is the player. Whatever his strengths and weaknesses are, that's what they are and you try to put a value on that. You try to figure out what that player will do for your team when he's on your team. What his role will be, what his level of performance will be. That's part of the process that you use to select him. It's important with every pick. It doesn't matter what number it is or what round it is. It's kind of each pick is its own process, the level of talent of the player certainly changes as you go through the rounds of the draft but I'd say from a process standpoint, it's pretty much the same. If you get into a later round you might want to take a shot on a player, a Julian Edelman-player that's maybe, you know there's some development in that player because he's going to play a position he hasn't played before or whatever the circumstances happen to be. But, as far as the other parts of it – the work ethic and the aptitude and character and so forth, commitment to football and that type of thing – those are part of every conversation and every draft pick.

Sorry BSPN draft industrial complex fans, BB just isn't as concerned about draft value relative to other players as you are, he's interested in how the players available at a given draft position fit into his team and his style of play. He doesn't really care much if he "over-drafts" or "under-drafts" based on how other people rank players. He's not losing sleep over the Michel or Harry picks the way many people on this board are. Once they are on the team, they all put on uniforms and go out and compete.

Moving down would be idiotic. We don’t need to move down and we don’t need more picks. Either stay put or move up.

Moving down would be idiotic. We don’t need to move down and we don’t need more picks. Either stay put or move up.
I think it depends upon how the board falls. I agree that there are at least 15 prospects worth the pick at 15, but if they feel they are all set at OL and RB then their list will likely be shorter than that. And if they added a decent 2nd by dropping 10 spots they could still get a really good prospect in the 20’s and have an extra 2nd, which you could also package to move back up for a late 1st or earlier 2nd.

If we cannot get a QB, then it may be reasonable to trade down in the first, and then trade up to give us 2 first rounders. Of course, there may be a stud that Belichick would prefer to having 2 first rounders or a 1st and 2nd in which case we would move up for him.

Would he have to trade out of the first to have 2 firsts next year?

It's idiotic to think this team doesn't need more talent still for this season or the next several.

It's idiotic to assume whomever you get at 15 is guaranteed to be good, we've seen many players drafted in the top five that just don't pan out.

Having two picks means you get better odds of getting one that's good, and maybe even two that are good, or at least useful.

BB has traded down far more often than any GM, it's idiotic to think he won't do it again.

As BB himself said, once they are in your building and in your system, their draft position does not matter.

If he gets a good enough offer to trade down, it will happen.

Let's say their favored remaining player is Collins or Paye and they think they can get one or the other at 23. Why wouldn't they move down, if possible to add a second or early third pick?

It's idiotic to think this team doesn't need more talent still for this season or the next several.

It's idiotic to assume whomever you get at 15 is guaranteed to be good, we've seen many players drafted in the top five that just don't pan out.

Having two picks means you get better odds of getting one that's good, and maybe even two that are good, or at least useful.

BB has traded down far more often than any GM, it's idiotic to think he won't do it again.

As BB himself said, once they are in your building and in your system, their draft position does not matter.

If he gets a good enough offer to trade down, it will happen.
If Horn, Surtain, Smith, Waddle, Slater, Darrishaw, or Parsons are there, which at least one of them will be after the run on QBs, trading down is completely idiotic. The team has 10 ****ing picks. Package them to move UP for a QB since we do not have a long-term answer there and Cam was the worst in the league last season. Either that or stay put and take one of the players I just mentioned that have difference maker potential.

Unless you move down and pick up a pick or picks to package with 46 to move up to the end of 1 or top of 2 depending upon what your board looks like.

But hopefully by the time 15 is on the clock we already traded up and got our QB

If Horn, Surtain, Smith, Waddle, Slater, Darrishaw, or Parsons are there, which at least one of them will be after the run on QBs, trading down is completely idiotic. The team has 10 ****ing picks. Package them to move UP for a QB since we do not have a long-term answer there and Cam was the worst in the league last season. Either that or stay put and take one of the players I just mentioned that have difference maker potential.
I would replace Darrisaw with Paye but overall I agree that there was s going to be a worthy player there at #15. I don’t necessarily agree that trading down would be stupid, because it would depend on what they make of the picks, but there will be a pick at #15 that is worth that pick. Unlike many years the value for top picks won’t run out at 8-12.

Let's say their favored remaining player is Collins or Paye and they think they can get one or the other at 23. Why wouldn't they move down, if possible to add a second or early third pick?
I think this is the point, it depends upon how the board unfolds.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back