PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Interview NFL Annual Meeting

McCourty’s take rings true to me, Bill was speaking to fans not to his players. Bruschi comes off like a mediot, he’d never give his players that message.
I'm laughing at how worked up the media is.

Bill has every right to say what he has.

25 years!

If I were him, I'd say something much much worse. Like calling people spoiled brats.

I'm laughing at how worked up the media is.

Bill has every right to say what he has.

25 years!

If I were him, I'd say something much much worse. Like calling people spoiled brats.
It's amazing to see how worked up they get. I'm having trouble listening to WEEI 2-6 now, Adam Jones just seems terrible. Instead of showing any knowledge or analysis of anything at all, their role is to just be outraged and put out idiotic hot takes.

It's amazing to see how worked up they get. I'm having trouble listening to WEEI 2-6 now, Adam Jones just seems terrible. Instead of showing any knowledge or analysis of anything at all, their role is to just be outraged and put out idiotic hot takes.
I think people in New England don't know how it's done elsewhere.

In Buffalo, the football guys on the morning shows talk football 99% of the time. I know almost next to nothing about their personal lives.

I can't believe that people want to know what Fred is up to in his personal life.

It's crazy.

Boston has the worst sports media in the entire nation. I'm 100% convinced of that. I haven't lived in New England since I left Boston U. in 1990 (grew up in Connecticut) and now that I can stream radio from there, it's crazy how bad they are compared to other parts of the country where I've lived.

In Buffalo, the football guys on the morning shows talk football 99% of the time. I know almost next to nothing about their personal lives.

I can't believe that people want to know what Fred is up to in his personal life.

It's crazy.

Boston has the worst sports media in the entire nation. I'm 100% convinced of that. I haven't lived in New England since I left Boston U. in 1990 (grew up in Connecticut) and now that I can stream radio from there, it's crazy how bad they are compared to other parts of the country where I've lived.
Of all of the 'hosts" Toucher and Rich at least make me laugh, a lot, my biggest disappointment is how quiet Zolak when Bertram goes on his ridiculous rants that are based on his opinion, rumor and conjecture. Yesterday he was talking about how Jalen Brown will effect the team in the spring of '24 as he is pending free agency. It never ceases to amaze that the call screeners do not allow those with intelligent dissenting opinions an opportunity get access to the "hosts". Like minded folks make the worse decisions..

Wonder how much of the apparent disdain for BB is fueled by sports talk radio, who read into and analyze every word by BB and highlight some of his lackluster decisions. Currently find that medium to be boring and have reduced themselves to nothing more than conspiracy theorists who rely on interpreting comments, innuendo, false & selective information and their own opinions.

Without regard BB is coming to the end of his tenure here and Mr. Kraft will let him walk away on his own terms, it might take some nudging on Mr. Kraft's regard, but BB will be allowed to walk away with his head held high, rightfully so.

One thing as fans we have learned over the years is winning solves everything, return to the origins of BB & Brady, when Bledsoe got healthy enough to return there was systemic outrage by many fans and the press that BB was disloyal to Bledsoe, allegedly BB broke a promise. Prophesies of doom abounded and Vinny Testaverde was a hot topic for all media.

Even the opinion on Mac Jones last year and current, is that he is some sort of flop, fans see different things. What I saw was a young NFL player who looked like a deer in the headlights and did not know what way was up. Combined with poor pass protection and a unnecessary change in the offensive philosophy and poor O coaching, turned our O into a hot mess. Will BOB make a difference, has Mac gotten more adaptable to change, are their enough O weapons??.. while many think there are not enough. I suspect what we will see in September is probably gonna be a bit different than what is on paper now. Stay tuned, this fan will never lose faith in BB.
Fans' disdain for Bill the Coach and Bill the GM has nothing to do with spots radio - it is based purely on his poor performance over the last 3 seasons, and specifically, his absolutely embarrassing record (6-22) vs non-scrub or rookie quarterbacks. He's been terrible

That was Then; this is Now.

And past performance can justify future optimism. Belichick has not forgotten how to coach, we are improving the talent on both sides of the ball, revamping our offensive coaching staff, and will add more guys in the draft.

We were LITERALLY one play from the playoffs last year, in the playoffs two years ago, and the year before that was just a cap strapped COVID year where we had no better options other than putting Newton out there.

And past performance can justify future optimism. Belichick has not forgotten how to coach, we are improving the talent on both sides of the ball, revamping our offensive coaching staff, and will add more guys in the draft.

We were LITERALLY one play from the playoffs last year, in the playoffs two years ago, and the year before that was just a cap strapped COVID year where we had no better options other than putting Newton out there.
could have signed andy dalton if you didnt believe in stidham... stidham would have been better but he went to a wedding irked bill and then signed scam newton

Fans' disdain for Bill the Coach and Bill the GM has nothing to do with spots radio - it is based purely on his poor performance over the last 3 seasons, and specifically, his absolutely embarrassing record (6-22) vs non-scrub or rookie quarterbacks. He's been terrible
Sorry, it has everything to do with sports radio as all they do is gin up controversy and nontroversy. They rely on rumor, innuendo and speculation seldom are facts factored in.
Cannot imagine how bad sports talk radio would have been in the '70's to '01...
Every team has ups and downs, right now the Pats are in a lull.. but I have all the confidence things will get better.

Well, based upon that post you certainly know terrible.

2020: Three awful draft picks but they also drafted three impact players in Onwenu, Dugger and Uche (breakout year in 2022) and one versatile depth LB (Jennings).
Post-Brady year 1….Reset year to get the team back to a healthy cap situation. Perhaps more so than any team in the league, the complexity of the Patriots system/playbook makes the off-season programs (in person OTAs, minicamps) and training camp critical for the success of the upcoming season. Covid destroyed the off-season. After seeing Newton play during his return to Carolina in 2021 and reassessing the talent, or lack thereof, of the roster as a whole (for which Bill the GM absolutely deserves criticism), a reasonable, unbiased football fan could argue that leading the team to a 7-9 record (should have been 8-8, if not for Cam blowing the Bills game or if not for the missed opportunity against Seattle in week 2) represented one of the best coaching performances of his career.

2021: Strong draft (3 starters out of 8 picks with Bledsoe and Nixon TBD). 10-6 regular season with a rookie QB. Overall talent level still not close to the SB contenders but clear movement in a positive direction. There was nothing terrible about 2021, unless you narrowly focused on the last game of the year.

2022: Appears to be another strong draft class but will take another 1-2 years before the draft as a whole can be properly assessed. Disastrous OC and QB coach choices by Bill probably cost the team another playoff birth. With BOB (or someone with his experience and track record), they probably end up at 10-7, rather than 8-9. There is no evidence, however, that Bill’s game planning and in-game coaching abilities have fallen off.

2023: Major improvements in the coaching staff. Solid free agent period this far. Still have a lot of work to do to shore up their weaknesses. We’ll see how they look in early September.

It is laughable to think that sports radio doesn’t have an effect on the fan base. Almost every show tailors its opinions/hot takes to attract the fellowship of the miserable. Negativity is very good for ratings and it is aggressively used for that purpose. Specifically, they have worsened the fracture between Team Brady and Team Bill, and have intentionally fed into the anger and despair of the segment of Patriots fans who have never known any Pats quarterback other than TB12 and had grown to idolize him, sometimes to obsessive levels.

They put a negative spin on almost every Pats story, sometimes twisting themselves into a pretzel figure out how to make a stroy reflect poorly upon Belichick. They constantly try to promote their negative opinions as facts and amplify every negative tweet or article, regardless of how poorly sourced it is. To pretend that doesn’t have an affect on the fan base is either naïve or intentionally dishonest.

here's the issue: people still tune in, people still click, people still respond to inane Ben Volin tweets.......until that changes, we're stuck with what generates revenue in this market

I suspect that some reporters just dont bother going to his press conference.
i wouldn't either. But you know there are some reporters that think..."today is the day that i get BB to answer a question with a thorough response"

2020: Three awful draft picks but they also drafted three impact players in Onwenu, Dugger and Uche (breakout year in 2022) and one versatile depth LB (Jennings).
Post-Brady year 1….Reset year to get the team back to a healthy cap situation. Perhaps more so than any team in the league, the complexity of the Patriots system/playbook makes the off-season programs (in person OTAs, minicamps) and training camp critical for the success of the upcoming season. Covid destroyed the off-season. After seeing Newton play during his return to Carolina in 2021 and reassessing the talent, or lack thereof, of the roster as a whole (for which Bill the GM absolutely deserves criticism), a reasonable, unbiased football fan could argue that leading the team to a 7-9 record (should have been 8-8, if not for Cam blowing the Bills game or if not for the missed opportunity against Seattle in week 2) represented one of the best coaching performances of his career.

2021: Strong draft (3 starters out of 8 picks with Bledsoe and Nixon TBD). 10-6 regular season with a rookie QB. Overall talent level still not close to the SB contenders but clear movement in a positive direction. There was nothing terrible about 2021, unless you narrowly focused on the last game of the year.

2022: Appears to be another strong draft class but will take another 1-2 years before the draft as a whole can be properly assessed. Disastrous OC and QB coach choices by Bill probably cost the team another playoff birth. With BOB (or someone with his experience and track record), they probably end up at 10-7, rather than 8-9. There is no evidence, however, that Bill’s game planning and in-game coaching abilities have fallen off.

2023: Major improvements in the coaching staff. Solid free agent period this far. Still have a lot of work to do to shore up their weaknesses. We’ll see how they look in early September.

It is laughable to think that sports radio doesn’t have an effect on the fan base. Almost every show tailors its opinions/hot takes to attract the fellowship of the miserable. Negativity is very good for ratings and it is aggressively used for that purpose. Specifically, they have worsened the fracture between Team Brady and Team Bill, and have intentionally fed into the anger and despair of the segment of Patriots fans who have never known any Pats quarterback other than TB12 and had grown to idolize him, sometimes to obsessive levels.

They put a negative spin on almost every Pats story, sometimes twisting themselves into a pretzel figure out how to make a stroy reflect poorly upon Belichick. They constantly try to promote their negative opinions as facts and amplify every negative tweet or article, regardless of how poorly sourced it is. To pretend that doesn’t have an affect on the fan base is either naïve or intentionally dishonest.
Spot on…

D McCourty tells amusing S Belichick story as S coach: Media flips out on nepotism, mischaracterizes it as DM is attacking Bill, fails to acknowledge D has done very well as Steve moved up D coaching ranks.

T Bruschi makes idiotic take on 25 years and media runs with it, fail to highlight D McCourty’s good explanation that he’s talking to fans not players

A Breer writes poorly worded tweet on Judge’s new position, media flips out again rather than listening to small number of smart media explaining it’s a demotion

Pats address poor ST performance with free agency signings, mediots flip out on cost which is very small ~1-3% of cap and addresses real weakness that hurt them

Mediots demand WR1 constantly, fault BB for not getting one, fail to acknowledge no real WR1s in FA and poor options in draft.

Just goes on and on and on, most of it easily prevented if any real thought or knowledge put into it

Exactly, Bill has done more with less these last three years. Take away Meyers full ****** play against the Raiders and maybe it's back to back playoffs.

His only mistakes were some of the coaches installed last year. Bill admits he's fully capable of mistakes like everyone else. Nothing he's said makes me think he didn't recognize that mistake or that he's incapable of learning from it.

When's the last time a team with a rookie QB made the playoffs? It happens from time to time, but it's rare.

To those who mention p-p-playoffs:

You do realize that this is the 7TH seed you're talking about...right?

A playoff seed that did not even exist until 2020.

And you're hanging your hats on this?

EDIT: To clarify, Pats were the 6th seed in 2021; but had they made the POs last season it would've been as the 7th seed.

Last edited:
To those who mention p-p-playoffs:

You do realize that this is the 7TH seed you're talking about...right?

A playoff seed that did not even exist until 2020.

And you're hanging your hats on this?
Ok fair point.

here's the issue: people still tune in, people still click, people still respond to inane Ben Volin tweets.......until that changes, we're stuck with what generates revenue in this market

More to the point- there was a turning point where sports radio ceased to be about sports and more about generating revenue.

It's crazy.

I'm in LA part of the year. There is none of this that I've heard. They support their teams, ROOT for their teams, and generally understand that it's entertainment, not life and death OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure there are a few who go at it like cable news idiots, but the craziness seems way more Boston and NYC based that anywhere else I've seen. Maybe Indy, too.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back