PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB awarded NFL Executive of the Year

I thought it was one of his best coaching jobs ever...he won 7 games with a team that had not much talent...comes back in 2021 with Executive of the Year...not too shabby....I think the team is going in the right direction. I will always be thankful to BB for having a big part of us winning 6 Super Bowls....can never understand the hate for the goat of coaches, especially when he is our coach.
It's one of those things where you don't know what you got till it's gone.

A new coach could take over. And 10 games into the season fans may regret ever wanting Bill to leave.

They lost 5 more games in '08 than '07 and missed the playoffs. Which is about right, Brady's worth a 5-game swing and a guaranteed playoff spot (usually the division). I'm pretty sure Garoppolo played 1.5 games in '16 and Buffalo shutout NE with Brissett. Even Rex Ryan knew it was fool's gold, saying post-game they hadn't beaten the real Patriots team. Brady hung 41 points on Buffalo four weeks later.

My point was Brady won a Super Bowl with another team immediately while Belichick had a losing season another quarterback. Whatever the reasons you want to apply, the end result was a very bad outcome for BB. I don't want to open another can of worms but there were scenarios whereby Brady could have finished out his career in NE. However, I do think his signing elsewhere worked out very well for him.

Well no but ^ doesn't take into account that with Brady the Patriots won 16 division titles in a row before the "rebuild." All of those other coaches inherited awful football teams with awful records (except Landry who was entering an even worse situation than that). Parcells turned around 4 separate franchises for Christ's sake. Belichick accomplished very little in Cleveland and was going nowhere fast until Mo Lewis happened. He's the GOAT HC (with Brady). I'm not crowning him the GOAT GM.

There wasn't a bigger loser franchise in all of professional sports than Tampa Bay so let's not act like Brady walked into the '85 Chicago Bears.

Right, it's apples/oranges, but it makes for an interesting debate and no one is saying you have to participate. They accomplished a great deal together being the only two constants throughout the entire dynasty but the Buccaneers looked a lot like the Patriots-south for the last two seasons. And that's with BA aimlessly bumbling around the sideline.
I'm not getting into a Brady vs BB conversation, but if you put Brady on the Lions, Jags or Jets, you actually think they are SB contenders? Same thing goes for if you put BB on those same teams, they are not contenders....football is the ultimate team sport.....you need talent to win. I think they both complimented each other well....both are perfectionists, hard working and hate to lose....I go back to our 2018 championship....Brady was invaluable in the AFC championship when he played incredible against the Chiefs....carried our defense....in the SB, BB was invaluable as he out coached McVay and the defense carried the offense....a team effort!!!!

In the larger view Belichick is only a failure without Brady. Specific to his drafts, I wouldn't say Belichick is a failure, but he's made a lot of horrible picks when some other wildly talented alternatives were sitting right there to be taken.

It's Brady-dependent, but there's no denying Belichick is the most accomplished HC in NFL history. You can't reasonably argue against him being labelled the GOAT HC (although Joe Gibbs did win 3 SB's with 3 different mediocre QB's). As a GM however, not so much. If he wins a Super Bowl with Mac Jones then you probably could loft him up on any perch of your choosing.

2020 was a really bad season for Belichick. Despite ending very poorly, 2021 was at least momentum in the right direction. If he can rebuild the team into a reliable annual contender then that would be something. It starts with first winning the division again.
No other coach gets 7 (Could've been 9) wins out of that team. They were reloading.

I'm not getting into a Brady vs BB conversation, but if you put Brady on the Lions, Jags or Jets, you actually think they are SB contenders? Same thing goes for if you put BB on those same teams, they are not contenders....football is the ultimate team sport.....you need talent to win. I think they both complimented each other well....both are perfectionists, hard working and hate to lose....I go back to our 2018 championship....Brady was invaluable in the AFC championship when he played incredible against the Chiefs....carried our defense....in the SB, BB was invaluable as he out coached McVay and the defense carried the offense....a team effort!!!!
I do think both win without the other, just not anywhere near as much.

Belichick builds great defenses, he actually did do it with the Jets.

Don't forget the Jags almost beat us in the AFCCG 3 years ago.

Overall I agree with you. 9 Super Bowls is just crazy. Obviously neither of them would have done that without the other. But yes, put Brady on the Jets in 2010, Jags in 2018, and well maybe never on the Lions but they're a special case, just like the Bucs used to be.

BB’s moves from 2014-2019 netted them 3 rings in four appearances and people are here arguing he sucks at his job.

The Rams gave away their entire future to win one ring.

BB made the playoffs after his reset year, has all his picks, his franchise QB at a rookie pay scale, a good roster of young players, the ability to open up cap space to compete going forward. McVay might skip out the side door because it looks so bleak… borrowing a bunch of money you don’t have so you live like a king for a year isn’t smart.

Quality drafts from 2010 to 2014 helped bet them 3 rings.

Bad drafts from 2015 to 2020 probably cost us another ring or two,

Thankfully wolf is here now to get us back on track,

Quality drafts from 2010 to 2014 helped bet them 3 rings.

Bad drafts from 2015 to 2020 probably cost us another ring or two,

Thankfully wolf is here now to get us back on track,
Make sure to forward us Wolf’s scouting notes when he sends them to you so we know in advance who he’s going to force Bill to draft.

#FanDelusions

I thought it was one of his best coaching jobs ever...he won 7 games with a team that had not much talent...comes back in 2021 with Executive of the Year...not too shabby....I think the team is going in the right direction. I will always be thankful to BB for having a big part of us winning 6 Super Bowls....can never understand the hate for the goat of coaches, especially when he is our coach.
The team is absolutely going in the right direction. They matched up horribly with the Bills and were that problem away from being a legitimate SB contender.
The Bills were able to expose weaknesses that other teams could not. That’s not “far away”.

Belichick has 6 Super Bowl rings with the GOAT QB so I would hope we're not leading off his bio with "impressively" winning 7 games with the corpse of Cam Newton.

NYJ had a couple seasons under Rex Ryan when the defenses were stout and the offenses would have been plenty good enough with Brady to at least make it to a Super Bowl. Similarly the Jags had a couple of seasons with great defenses and an elite quarterback away from contending for a Super Bowl. Also, I'm betting a couple of seasons with Brady and Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and Reggie Bush would have been highly successful and entertaining. You plug Belichick into those situations with Sanchez, Bortles and Stafford, and I don't think they're improving much. Just my opinion.

Overall I agree with the 'ultimate team sport' idea however I also think quarterback is the most important position in all of team sports, which along with Brady being the best ever at the position, is why I personally give him more credit than Belichick for the success of the franchise. Brady also has very nicely capped off his narrative by winning another Super Bowl with a second franchise.

SB's 36 and 53 are the most obvious examples of good game-planning and defensive execution combined with late-game clutch quarterbacking (i.e. ultimate team wins). SB 39 falls into the ultimate team win category as well. I'm giving the other 3 Super Bowls to Brady.

The team is absolutely going in the right direction. They matched up horribly with the Bills and were that problem away from being a legitimate SB contender.
I'm not putting them in the 'legitimate SB contender' category until I see what Mac Jones looks like next season. It's not just a Bills / Josh Allen problem either, the AFC is loaded with very good teams with very good or better quarterbacks.... Bills/Allen, Chiefs/Mahomes, Bengals/Burrow, Chargers/Herbert, Texans/Watson. All of those teams (except for the Texans who Watson may not be playing for anyway) have better supporting casts around their quarterbacks as well so Mac Jones needs to improve and his supporting cast needs to improve A LOT. I don't think it's a given that either or both of those things are going to happen.

Belichick has 6 Super Bowl rings with the GOAT QB so I would hope we're not leading off his bio with "impressively" winning 7 games with the corpse of Cam Newton.

NYJ had a couple seasons under Rex Ryan when the defenses were stout and the offenses would have been plenty good enough with Brady to at least make it to a Super Bowl. Similarly the Jags had a couple of seasons with great defenses and an elite quarterback away from contending for a Super Bowl. Also, I'm betting a couple of seasons with Brady and Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate and Reggie Bush would have been highly successful and entertaining. You plug Belichick into those situations with Sanchez, Bortles and Stafford, and I don't think they're improving much. Just my opinion.

Overall I agree with the 'ultimate team sport' idea however I also think quarterback is the most important position in all of team sports, which along with Brady being the best ever at the position, is why I personally give him more credit than Belichick for the success of the franchise. Brady also has very nicely capped off his narrative by winning another Super Bowl with a second franchise.

SB's 36 and 53 are the most obvious examples of good game-planning and defensive execution combined with late-game clutch quarterbacking (i.e. ultimate team wins). SB 39 falls into the ultimate team win category as well. I'm giving the other 3 Super Bowls to Brady.

I'm not putting them in the 'legitimate SB contender' category until I see what Mac Jones looks like next season. It's not just a Bills / Josh Allen problem either, the AFC is loaded with very good teams with very good or better quarterbacks.... Bills/Allen, Chiefs/Mahomes, Bengals/Burrow, Chargers/Herbert, Texans/Watson. All of those teams (except for the Texans who Watson may not be playing for anyway) have better supporting casts around their quarterbacks as well so Mac Jones needs to improve and his supporting cast needs to improve A LOT. I don't think it's a given that either or both of those things are going to happen.
They were this year, save the mismatch with the Bills.
They competed well against the rest of the league.
What happens in the future is to be determined.

They were this year, save the mismatch with the Bills.
They competed well against the rest of the league.
What happens in the future is to be determined.
The Patriots were 3-8 against teams with a winning record; they were 7-0 against teams with a losing record. They weren't competitive at all with Buffalo unless you're counting games played in a windstorm. The two losses to Miami & Tua really crippled their chances of going anywhere in the postseason because you could see that beatdown in Buffalo coming. They win either one of those games to Miami and their path would have been less difficult, at Cincinnati, at Tennessee. Doubtful they were ever getting past Buffalo or KC though.

The Patriots have a moderate schedule next season. The tacked on road game is at Arizona, which isn't ideal unless Murray shoots his way out of town. There are some other teams on their schedule who have unsettled QB situations... Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indianapolis, maybe also Cleveland, Las Vegas and Minnesota. Miami may be looking to move on from Tua. Firing Flores probably was a mistake too, his two wins against the Patriots alone was reason enough to keep him. They have Baltimore and Cincinnati at Gillette. Right, it's TBD, but I wouldn't be surprised with another 10-7 season. It probably would take two more wins than that if they're taking the division back.

That team last year had minimal talent all across the board and throw in Cam who was horrible and the fact that we won 7 games is an amazing accomplishment.

Most of the SB wins were team efforts...great coaching, great defense and a qb who is incredibly clutch and great in the 4th quarter.

The Patriots were 3-8 against teams with a winning record; they were 7-0 against teams with a losing record. They weren't competitive at all with Buffalo unless you're counting games played in a windstorm. The two losses to Miami & Tua really crippled their chances of going anywhere in the postseason because you could see that beatdown in Buffalo coming. They win either one of those games to Miami and their path would have been less difficult, at Cincinnati, at Tennessee. Doubtful they were ever getting past Buffalo or KC though.

The Patriots have a moderate schedule next season. The tacked on road game is at Arizona, which isn't ideal unless Murray shoots his way out of town. There are some other teams on their schedule who have unsettled QB situations... Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indianapolis, maybe also Cleveland, Las Vegas and Minnesota. Miami may be looking to move on from Tua. Firing Flores probably was a mistake too, his two wins against the Patriots alone was reason enough to keep him. They have Baltimore and Cincinnati at Gillette. Right, it's TBD, but I wouldn't be surprised with another 10-7 season. It probably would take two more wins than that if they're taking the division back.

If they drew Cincinnati’s seed they were in the AFCCG
They had the same record as Cincinnati in a tougher division. The blew out the 1 seed.
They were the 1 seed with a few weeks left in the season.

I don't find this joke particularly funny.

SmartSelect_20220216-090730_Firefox.jpg

But for those that don't get the reference:

SmartSelect_20220216-091029_Firefox.jpg

The Bills were able to expose weaknesses that other teams could not. That’s not “far away”.
They also exited the bye week playing bad uninspired football, which was the result of complacency and bad execution a lot more than a lack of talent... something Judon and other players have echoed since.

Mac will presumably improve, hopefully the front office does their job well in the draft and free agency. If so, this team is on the precipice of competing for more rings.

Sometimes when we look at Belichick's draft record and declare it abysmal, we forget that some drafts are just absolute busts:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back