PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB awarded NFL Executive of the Year

Right, but 3 of the 5 you listed are misses imo and you can't get out.

Hopefully things are better next season.
You think that Hunter Henry and Judon are misses? So far, Jonnu is the miss out of those 3.

Then we have 2 guys going into the last year of 2 year deals. Agholar ($10M dead cap) and relatively cheap Godchaux (5.25M dead cap). Of those two, I'd call Godchaux cuttable. Agholar isn't unless he has a mad girlfriend or something like that. Seriously, $10M to make a roster space is a little rich for my blood, and I don't think he's that terrible. The 20-somethingth highest paid receiver in APY, down in the middle class pack. I'd like to see more from him than we are, and I wouldn't be surprised if we do, given this will be his 1-year-in-the-system, show-me-something year. But he might not have it in terms of the Pats system.

So if you want Godchaux gone, okay, it's not free but it's not a crisis. He gets out-competed, que sera sera. Agholor, well, I want to make sure there's nothing there, for a $10M dead cap hit. I mean, barring a mad girlfriend. Or trainer. Or whatever. You don't want to get into the sunk cost fallacy, but his cost is structured to be sunk. On the other hand, if he wants to see another payday, here or elsewhere, it's time to make it happen. I find it hard to believe we'll have such an overflowing cornucopia of WR talent that we don't have room to keep him just in case he doesn't suck.

473 receiving yards, 12.8 yard average per rec., 3 TD. He's WR3 production for lower tier WR1 pay. If he stays that, he's done, at least in that pay band.

Hiring wolf and emptying krafts bank accounts got us back in the playoffs and got bb an award!

Sweet!

I think Les Snead of the LA Rams should have been selected as Executive of the Year. The Execs of Tampa Bay and Cincinnati also deserved consideration. Belichick spent the most money by far, with mixed results, and the team floundered badly down the stretch (not even including the playoff debacle), which to me should have taken him out of the top spot for this award.
I think this stuff is voted ( much like probowl voting) before the season is over. So they didn’t have that data, Heck if was between the Buffy games we were tied for conf lead.

regardless, your argument applies to COY not ExoY. As exec he brought in the talent and managed the cap. If that talent fell back-got demotivated (bad coach) or got hurt (bad luck). That isn’t exec fault.

What team added more successful free agents than that?
You also left out KVN, Karras, Brown (in a trade)
Your misses are an embellishment.
Godchaux played the most snaps of any DL
Adams was a guy signed for camp competition at almost no cost
Anderson was injured
Smith and Agholor played a lot, do you think the team would have been better with asiasi and Harry taking their snaps?
Asiasi over Smith just based on this past season? Yes since he would be playing at a fraction of a cost even if he played like a below average TE2.

Maybe so, but the teams that have spent the most during FAcy have averaged 5.4 more wins that season. Pats had 3 more wins (with an extra game). So by that metric alone, the outcome was below average.
Now like Andy said how many wins are these teams starting at that spent the most in FA?

Hiring wolf and emptying krafts bank accounts got us back in the playoffs and got bb an award!

Sweet!
You have zero proof what Wolf, Zeigler or anyone else provided, but pretend you do which is laughable. The Patriots back office is more buttoned up than the NSA... but if you work there give us your credentials. BB makes all the picks, he has since he arrived in 2000, good and bad.

The Pats had an obscene amount of money and cap space because they used 2020 to clear cap off the books. They spend to the cap every year and have for decades, nothing was different in 2021 except the amount of job openings and money they had available. For twenty years their most expensive player had to be worked around, towards the end of his run they "went all in" borrowing against future cap to sign players and fill in roster gaps at the trade deadline. They won 3 rings and played in 4 Super Bowls from 2014-2019... a resounding success.

“Have you seen the movie ‘The Big Short’? That’s how they treated this free agency,” said Henry Organ, who represents new Pats wide receiver Kendrick Bourne. “They saw this opportunity coming from a mile away.” The Pats entered free agency armed with more cap space than essentially the rest of the league, which was busy confronting the reality of a reduced cap due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Recognizing the cap would soon rebound with the arrival of the league’s next TV deal worth billions, the Patriots used their 2021 space to elbow competitors off a temporarily uncrowded negotiating table — including among their division rivals."

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/inside-the-patriots-e2-80-99-free-agent-negotiations-during-their-nfl-record-spending-spree/ar-BB1f7cRq

Now like Andy said how many wins are these teams starting at that spent the most in FA?
They avg'd 4.6 wins so ended w/ 10 after FAcy spending. Pats went from 7 to 10. Again, below average.

You have zero proof what Wolf, Zeigler or anyone else provided, but pretend you do which is laughable. The Patriots back office is more buttoned up than the NSA... but if you work there give us your credentials.
Based on statements from both Kraft and Belichick that have been posted over and over again. Of course, you can choose to not believe them.

Based on statements from both Kraft and Belichick that have been posted over and over again. Of course, you can choose to not believe them.
It would be really easy for you to find and post the quote that says Ron Wolf's kid chose Mac Jones and Barmore... it must be out there right?

Meanwhile I find it hilarious that the big complaint from BB whiners for years was that "BB ignores his scouts and takes players based off the advice of his college coach buddies and it always turned out bad."

Flash forward to 2021 BB takes Nick Saban players 1-2 in the draft and now some scout BB hired gets credit for it... no complaints about Bill listening to his best friend and former employee in the college ranks... instead we just take credit away from Bill for these picks.

Not so different from the "BB didn't draft Brady" BS, simply because the QB coach Bill hired and told to go scout two QB's in the entire 2000 draft class said he preferred Brady over Rattay. The lengths you BB haters go to slander him is sad, laughable, painfully obvious but pretty pathetic also.

Good or bad, the buck stops with Bill. He makes the picks, he's in full control of football operations.

Notice there's zero people here suggesting Nick Ceasario made the N'Keal Harry pick... because that would be dumb.

It would be really easy for you to find and post the quote that says Ron Wolf's kid chose Mac Jones and Barmore... it must be out there right?

Meanwhile I find it hilarious that the big complaint from BB whiners for years was that "BB ignores his scouts and takes players based off the advice of his college coach buddies and it always turned out bad."

Flash forward to 2021 BB takes Nick Saban players 1-2 in the draft and now some scout BB hired gets credit for it... no complaints about Bill listening to his best friend and former employee in the college ranks... instead we just take credit away from Bill for these picks.

Not so different from the "BB didn't draft Brady" BS, simply because the QB coach Bill hired and told to go scout two QB's in the entire 2000 draft class said he preferred Brady over Rattay. The lengths you BB haters go to slander him is sad, laughable, painfully obvious but pretty pathetic also.

Good or bad, the buck stops with Bill. He makes the picks, he's in full control of football operations.

Notice there's zero people here suggesting Nick Ceasario made the N'Keal Harry pick... because that would be dumb.
Not sure what you're going on about or who said anything of what you're saying. My response was to this specific statement you made:

"You have zero proof what Wolf, Zeigler or anyone else provided, but pretend you do which is laughable."

The buck probably stops with Robert and Jonathan Kraft, although in most cases they're probably ceding to Belichick's given authority. They've entrusted their franchise to Belichick however there seems to have been some instances where they've forced his hand (trading Garopollo) or overruled his decision (trading Gronkowski). Also seems very likely the Krafts greenlighted Brady's request for the no franchise tag; I don't see Belichick being independently amenable to that.

The buck probably stops with Robert and Jonathan Kraft, although in most cases they're probably ceding to Belichick's given authority. They've entrusted their franchise to Belichick however there seems to have been some instances where they've forced his hand (trading Garopollo) or overruled his decision (trading Gronkowski). Also seems very likely the Krafts greenlighted Brady's request for the no franchise tag; I don't see Belichick being independently amenable to that.
Some of these guys around here believe that Bill signs his own paycheck.

Not sure what you're going on about or who said anything of what you're saying. My response was to this specific statement you made:

"You have zero proof what Wolf, Zeigler or anyone else provided, but pretend you do which is laughable."
Like I said it should be really easy for you to find and post the quote that says Ron Wolf's kid chose Mac Jones and Barmore... it must be out there right?

BB has full control over football operations.

I don’t believe rumors about BB being forced to trade Jimmy, especially when John Lynch called to check on his availability in trade, was told no then inquired about Tom and BB literally laughed at him. Reported by Jay Glazer, confirmed by Lynch himself.

I think Kraft worked hand in hand to keep the peace and make smart decisions, I also know that if Kraft interfered again by insisting on buying the groceries BB would have 31 teams inquiring about his interest in coaching.

It’s funny how you BB haters only want to take Bill’s good draft choices from him… odd how that works.

You have zero proof what Wolf, Zeigler or anyone else provided, but pretend you do which is laughable. The Patriots back office is more buttoned up than the NSA... but if you work there give us your credentials. BB makes all the picks, he has since he arrived in 2000, good and bad.

The Pats had an obscene amount of money and cap space because they used 2020 to clear cap off the books. They spend to the cap every year and have for decades, nothing was different in 2021 except the amount of job openings and money they had available. For twenty years their most expensive player had to be worked around, towards the end of his run they "went all in" borrowing against future cap to sign players and fill in roster gaps at the trade deadline. They won 3 rings and played in 4 Super Bowls from 2014-2019... a resounding success.

“Have you seen the movie ‘The Big Short’? That’s how they treated this free agency,” said Henry Organ, who represents new Pats wide receiver Kendrick Bourne. “They saw this opportunity coming from a mile away.” The Pats entered free agency armed with more cap space than essentially the rest of the league, which was busy confronting the reality of a reduced cap due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Recognizing the cap would soon rebound with the arrival of the league’s next TV deal worth billions, the Patriots used their 2021 space to elbow competitors off a temporarily uncrowded negotiating table — including among their division rivals."

www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/inside-the-patriots-e2-80-99-free-agent-negotiations-during-their-nfl-record-spending-spree/ar-BB1f7cRq

Let me put it this way, chronologically!

Drafts 2015 to 2020 range from mediocre to downright pitiful.

Wolf joins the team!

2021 draft a huge win!

Let me put it this way, chronologically!

Drafts 2015 to 2020 range from mediocre to downright pitiful.

Wolf joins the team!

2021 draft a huge win!
One year ago:

Duggar, Onwenu, Myles Bryant, Herron, JJ Taylor, Asiasi, Uche were acquired as rookies last year before, as you've suggested, Kraft took the draft away from Bill. Dalton Keene, Anfernee Jennings, Zuber, Wilkerson are also very talented and have promise on what amounts to developmental/red shirt years.

Two years ago:

Damien Williams, Jakob Johnson, Jakobi Meyers, Gunner Olszewski, Jake Bailey, JoeJuan Williams, Chase Winovich and Yodney Cajuste were acquired as rookies two years ago before Kraft took the draft away from Bill.

When was Bill bad again?

BB has full control over football operations.

I don’t believe rumors about BB being forced to trade Jimmy, especially when John Lynch called to check on his availability in trade, was told no then inquired about Tom and BB literally laughed at him. Reported by Jay Glazer, confirmed by Lynch himself.

I think Kraft worked hand in hand to keep the peace and make smart decisions, I also know that if Kraft interfered again by insisting on buying the groceries BB would have 31 teams inquiring about his interest in coaching.

It’s funny how you BB haters only want to take Bill’s good draft choices from him… odd how that works.
Don't worry, Bill is still safe.

Back then, Trump said, Belichick had “chickened out.” But get this, Trump confided: The coach had just a week earlier been playing golf at Trump’s nearby course. Trump had run into him there on the second-to-last hole. “He came up to me on the seventeenth,” the former commander-in-chief recounted with relish.
Trump claimed: “He hugged me and kissed me.”

Like I said it should be really easy for you to find and post the quote that says Ron Wolf's kid chose Mac Jones and Barmore... it must be out there right?
Lol, I never claimed that. Your mind is gone dude. Keep up.

Don't worry, Bill is still safe.

Back then, Trump said, Belichick had “chickened out.” But get this, Trump confided: The coach had just a week earlier been playing golf at Trump’s nearby course. Trump had run into him there on the second-to-last hole. “He came up to me on the seventeenth,” the former commander-in-chief recounted with relish.
Trump claimed: “He hugged me and kissed me.”

Clueless as to what this means?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes