PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baby, it's (going to be) cold outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a small window for the cold.

Saturday, 25/-7
Sunday, 11/1
Monday 33/24

I guess the arctic front must be moving in Saturday night and be gone by Monday.

(all numbers from weather.com)

Was listening to KC sports Radio and they had a local weather guy on who said it could any where from -2 to 12 at kickoff, he says if he had to pinpoint a temp it would be about 8 degrees at kickoff. No wind, sunny and dry.

Doesn't have to be for him.
Sammy Watkins tapped out every November in Buffalo.
How's PregnantgirlfriendChoker Hill gonna feel after being knocked on his butt a few times?

It's going to be ****ing cold. It's going to be that way for everyone. It's not snow, so there shouldn't be footing issues (field is heated). It will come down to who can manage those ridiculously cold games better.

The physical part of the cold won't be nearly as much of a factor as the crowd noise being cut in half.

Well, except for ball security. Ball gets slick, if you're loose with it, it will just pop out, gloves or no gloves.

From your keyboard to God's monitor. We know that it would be uncharacteristic for very low temperatures to negatively affect the Pats more than an opponent. For whatever it's worth, we more likely get a tiny edge for weather.

This is one of those games that will be 'a new cold' for everyone (except for Brady, and that was back in the '03 playoffs against TEN), so it's not a given that we're better equipped to handle it.

But the variable it adds certainly has me intriguing and even though both teams have to deal with it, I think we can all reasonably say it will effect KC's gameplan more than ours.

I agree, but counting or betting on it affecting Mahomes wasn't really the point. Just pointing out the silliness of thinking that the cold will somehow benefit the Chiefs over the Pats. If anything it's probably neutral.

Well, here's the way I see it....right, both teams will have to deal with the conditions and therefore it's neutral in that sense, but I think it will effect KC's gameplan/play calling more than it will ours.

Our to phrase it another way....I think what the Pats do on Sunday will look closer to what they would have done in 50 degree weather than what KC would have done.

Well, here's the way I see it....right, both teams will have to deal with the conditions and therefore it's neutral in that sense, but I think it will effect KC's gameplan/play calling more than it will ours.

Our to phrase it another way....I think what the Pats do on Sunday will look closer to what they would have done in 50 degree weather than what KC would have done.

At the very least it potentially helps negate the huge home-field advantage they get from a bat$hit crazy loud fanbase. I went to the AFC Championship Game at Gillette in 2008 (after 2007 season). The windchill was below zero. It was hard to consistently make any noise in those conditions. My face would start to hurt after about a minute if I took my scarf off and like someone else said it is hard to generate any sound by clapping with gloves/mittens on. No chance we were taking them off in that weather.

EDIT: Some people were milling about up in the walkways to get out of the wind. Again, hard to make stadium noise from there. No way KC people are better-acclimated to extreme cold than New Englanders.

At the very least it potentially helps negate the huge home-field advantage they get from a bat$hit crazy loud fanbase. I went to the AFC Championship Game at Gillette in 2008 (after 2007 season). The windchill was below zero. It was hard to consistently make any noise in those conditions. My face would start to hurt after about a minute if I took my scarf off and like someone else said it is hard to generate any sound by clapping with gloves/mittens on. No chance we were taking them off in that weather.

EDIT: Some people were milling about up in the walkways to get out of the wind. Again, hard to make stadium noise from there. No way KC people are better-acclimated to extreme cold than New Englanders.
but the loudness comes from yelling, not clapping. Yes, maybe some people will be too cold to yell as loud as they would have, but the place should still be very loud.

but the loudness comes from yelling, not clapping. Yes, maybe some people will be too cold to yell as loud as they would have, but the place should still be very loud.

It wasn't just hard to make noise because we couldn't clap. In that kind of cold you can' t yell for long periods of time. Your lungs and head won't handle it.

Cold this extreme provides an advantage to us. Crowd noise will be lower, people are covering their faces and mouths, they're as concerned with frostbite as cheering the game, and there will be at least 5% fewer attending, maybe 10%.

Also, it will reduce Mahomes' ability to throw deep to Hill. Hill's vertical speed is the biggest threat in the game, and anything that mitigates that is advantage Pats.

Also, Brady has won a game like this before (Ten in '03), Mahomes has never been in one.

For the record, I think Mike Kensil had absolute authority as the game day operations chief and just ordered Blakeman and other refs to do what they did that day with respect to measuring pressure in footballs. I don't think any of the on-field officials were actively trying to screw over the Patriots.

Mike Kensil was, for sure, at the behest of the league office and prompted by the Colts made-up complaints communicated prior to the game.

For the record, I think Mike Kensil had absolute authority as the game day operations chief and just ordered Blakeman and other refs to do what they did that day with respect to measuring pressure in footballs. I don't think any of the on-field officials were actively trying to screw over the Patriots.

Mike Kensil was, for sure, at the behest of the league office and prompted by the Colts made-up complaints communicated prior to the game.

Plus Blakeman was just the backup ref that day measuring the footballs at halftime...

Field is heated.

As you'd expect from Belichick.

8581290-6596673-image-a-11_1547605765782.jpg

Looking at latest models, doesnt look as frigid as originally thought. Probably still below 10 but not below zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back