PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baby, it's (going to be) cold outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ton of respect for Mahomes but the fact of the matter is his QB rating was 85.2. His second lowest of the season, a season in which his QB rating was 113.8. His YPC tied for a season low. He will be a beast to get through on Sunday but his cold weather game against Indy was nothing to write home about.

Plus, there is a huge difference between playing in 30 degree weather & playing in 6 degree weather. The only game I can recall the Pats playing in that type of cold was the Tennessee divisional game in 2003 & the weather completely took the air out of the ball in that game. I'd bet that very few players on either side, have any experience with what they are about to deal with on Sunday.

I don’t know if weather makes a huge difference (wind probably more than temperature.) I don’t think it necessarily gives the Patriots advantage, but it definitely feels like a good omen, considering the success the Patriots have in the freezing cold. I also do wonder if you can get the same zip throwing the ball like Mahomes does. But like I said, likely not a big difference maker.

They are calling for anywhere from 16-27 inches for my area in Northeastern Pa with lower amounts only if it begins as a mix snow/rain - early but we will be getting something

Each successive set of model runs has been showing something different for us in Midcoast Maine. A couple-three days ago, the projection was Friday 1"-3"/Saturday 4"-6"/Sunday 8"-12". Yesterday it was 2"-4" each day. Now it's Friday 1"-3"/cloudy Saturday/8"-12" Sunday.

The low-pressure/storm system in question won't even hit the west coast until Wednesday, so precip effects are still extremely uncertain. However, the projection of brutally cold temps is much more certain, since the "polar vortex" was broken up by a sudden stratospheric warming event a few days ago, allowing large masses of frigid arctic air to "leak" down into the temperate latitudes, extremely cold air that that will likely be pulled down even further on the backside of the passing low-pressure system.

So, how much snow falls and where (and when) it falls depends on atmospheric moisture content and the system track. The variable values for those are still changing radically about every six hours, and probably won't narrow down significantly until late Wednesday.

I don’t know if weather makes a huge difference (wind probably more than temperature.) I don’t think it necessarily gives the Patriots advantage, but it definitely feels like a good omen, considering the success the Patriots have in the freezing cold. I also do wonder if you can get the same zip throwing the ball like Mahomes does. But like I said, likely not a big difference maker.

The biggest difference will be Arrowhead. That place is brutal. That's worth 7 points.

Either indy was just that bad or KC is that good
Indy did nothing in that game to get rolling. They had the entire second half to make adjustments and get back in the game but they did nothing at all. Indy's defense stopped KC 5 times and gave them the ball back but their offense couldn' even get a first down. KC played well offensively in the first half but were shutdown until late in the 4th qtr.

short passing game will be more productive in the very cold...

The kicking game will be impacted. Hard to kick long FGs in the freezing cold...

They are calling for anywhere from 16-27 inches for my area in Northeastern Pa with lower amounts only if it begins as a mix snow/rain - early but we will be getting something

16-27inches in PA? Holy cow. That’s Armageddon level in PA. Bread, milk and eggs will be rationed. Call in the national guard.

Zack Cox‏Verified account @ZackCoxNESN 2m2 minutes ago
Zack Cox Retweeted Ryan Maue

We could be looking at one of the coldest games in Patriots history this Sunday.

Current coldest, per @pfref, is a 1989 game in Pittsburgh. Kickoff temp for that one was 3 degrees. Coldest in the Belichick era was the '03 div. round game vs. TEN (4 degrees).

Dumb question here. But what are the advantages for the Pats with respect to cold weather? Does it minimize Mahomes ability to thow the deep ball?

What about that brutally MNF game against Denver some years ago, when BB elected to kick to Denver in OT? How cold was that game?

Dumb question here. But what are the advantages for the Pats with respect to cold weather? Does it minimize Mahomes ability to thow the deep ball?
Imagine trying to throw a football, say, 40 yards in 50 degrees. Then imagine trying to throw a rock those same 40 degrees with hands that have no feeling . . .

This could really help the Pats. Three degree weather should slow down KC's high flying offense. The Pats offensive gameplan from yesterday (run the ball & short passes off play action) could travel well in that type of weather,..

I’d be interested to see why Redman disagrees with this.

Imagine trying to throw a football, say, 40 yards in 50 degrees. Then imagine trying to throw a rock those same 40 degrees with hands that have no feeling . . .

Agreed. And the Pats run game is a notch better than the Chiefs. Especially without Hunt.

We are the better running team and more built for a cold game than KC is. Should be able to slow their pass rush down with our running game. The game really comes down to whether our run defense can show up for one road game, just one. If Mahomes has to throw it 40-50 times we'll win

Patrick Mahomes hand size. 9 1/4 in. This is small.

GOAT hand size: There is no official record of his hand size but I think we all know what kind of QB he is in severely cold and inclement conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back