PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baby, it's (going to be) cold outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
yelling makes the noise, no one is clapping

Have you ever been to the new Broncos Stadium? There is certainly yelling but much of the noise is manufactured by stomping their feet in front of the seats. There is a metal sheet on top of a hollow area, which creates a lot of noise. I’m sure this is intentional and it’s a smart design, but also kind of weak.

I’m hoping that this will be true. It is a physiologic fact that frigid cold air induces more “bronchospasm” (partial closure of the main airway and its branches). This makes it harder to take a deep breath. Also, screaming in near 0° temperature also greatly accelerates hoarseness and laryngitis. I remember that 2003 Foxboro playoff game well. The cold was just brutal. I tried to cheer as much and as loudly as possible but found myself preoccupied by the cold. I’ve never been to Arrowhead but I’m sure they have plenty of club seats with indoor viewing areas. Let’s hope that most of those folks will be inside in 70° comfort. There will also not be any sun to help with warmth.

Probably wishful thinking every little bit helps.

It’s a very real thing. Freezing cold doesn’t allow you to scream anywhere near as loud. At some high altitudes and frigid temps you can die just breathing in the cold air.

I hadn’t even thought about that noise issue. Yeah there will be noise, but I bet its not the usual. And that may be all the Pats need.

The colder the better.........the crowd noise levels aren't as high when everyone is wearing gloves.
Well, the forecast keeps coming down. The expected low the night *before* the game is now minus 5. The temperature is expected to rise all the way to 12 degrees on the day of the game before dropping to 8 at kickoff. (This is according to weather.com, which has things a little warmer than other projections)

IIRC the Titans game of '03 is the Patriots' coldest game but this may give it a run for its money.

The 96 AFC Championship game at the old stadium was a cold one too. Zero wind chill IIRC.

Pats won so I didn’t feel it :)

8 degrees and slight wind is predicted for Sunday.

Let's wait with forecasts til Sunday morning. I don't want to be bummed if it gets warmer.

I do have to chuckle at the KC fans a bit on this. I've seen several posts mention how the frigid "midwest" weather will benefit them. It's not like the Raiders or Chargers are coming to town, this isn't a dome team it's a team from the far right corner of the country.

Obviously they have whistled past the graveyard that is the Patriots with Brady record in cold weather games. Now if the cold is going to affect on QB more than the other who would your money be on? An 18 year vet who has played his entire career in open stadium in the northeast who played 5 years in ann arbor, MI or a kid that has been on a team who plays in the mid west for 2 seasons who played his HS and Collegiate ball in Texas?

:cool:

I do have to chuckle at the KC fans a bit on this. I've seen several posts mention how the frigid "midwest" weather will benefit them. It's not like the Raiders or Chargers are coming to town, this isn't a dome team it's a team from the far right corner of the country.

Obviously they have whistled past the graveyard that is the Patriots with Brady record in cold weather games. Now if the cold is going to affect on QB more than the other who would your money be on? An 18 year vet who has played his entire career in open stadium in the northeast who played 5 years in ann arbor, MI or a kid that has been on a team who plays in the mid west for 2 seasons who played his HS and Collegiate ball in Texas?

:cool:

Maybe it was the cold part of Texas?

This must secretly get on KC's tits. It's like, "then why the hell did we bother winning HFA?"

At the same time, Mahomes is the Truth. We haven't seen whether cold is any kind of achilles' heel for him, but I would not bet on it.

This must secretly get on KC's tits. It's like, "then why the hell did we bother winning HFA?"

At the same time, Mahomes is the Truth. We haven't seen whether cold is any kind of achilles' heel for him, but I would not bet on it.
Doesn't have to be for him.
Sammy Watkins tapped out every November in Buffalo.
How's PregnantgirlfriendChoker Hill gonna feel after being knocked on his butt a few times?

It's going to be ****ing cold. It's going to be that way for everyone. It's not snow, so there shouldn't be footing issues (field is heated). It will come down to who can manage those ridiculously cold games better.

The physical part of the cold won't be nearly as much of a factor as the crowd noise being cut in half.

Well, except for ball security. Ball gets slick, if you're loose with it, it will just pop out, gloves or no gloves.

I count on Brady and Belichick much more than cold weather.

I count on Brady and Belichick much more than cold weather.

Sure. Although I don't know how, say, Sony Michel or Phillip Dorsett will do. I dunno if the practice bubble can simulate 8 degrees.

I agree, but counting or betting on it affecting Mahomes wasn't really the point. Just pointing out the silliness of thinking that the cold will somehow benefit the Chiefs over the Pats. If anything it's probably neutral.

I agree, but counting or betting on it affecting Mahomes wasn't really the point. Just pointing out the silliness of thinking that the cold will somehow benefit the Chiefs over the Pats. If anything it's probably neutral.
The diminished crowd noise will be a Patriots advantage. Beyond that, it's going to be ****ing cold for everyone.

Sure. Although I don't know how, say, Sony Michel or Phillip Dorsett will do. I dunno if the practice bubble can simulate 8 degrees.
There is always two sides to a story.The weather also affects Hill or Damien Williams for example.

There is always two sides to a story.The weather also affects Hill or Damien Williams for example.
Sure.
It's going to be cold for everyone.
Hill is intriguing because he is so super-loose with the ball. Mahomes too, for that matter. Neither secure the ball very well, if at all.

mahomes will fumble at least once..book it

Seems like a small window for the cold.

Saturday, 25/-7
Sunday, 11/1
Monday 33/24

I guess the arctic front must be moving in Saturday night and be gone by Monday.

(all numbers from weather.com)

The weather wi8ll be a huge factor much lower scoring game.
Crowd will be neutralized to a great extent, not a lot of high flying O on this game.
Funny seeing the talking heads ignoring this so far.
Fumbles will be a big deal, Sony and White have been solid, that will need
to continue.
The field, is it heated? Natural turf will be frozen footing? Sneakers?
Interesting one of the coldest games in NFL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back