PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Auburn-Alabama game ends on missed FG return for TD

I respect the hell out of Saban and agree. The problem is he'd be 67 by then; I'll pass on a new coach of that age.

That's a good point. I wasn't aware of the fact that he's actually older than Belichick. I assumed that he was around 5 yrs younger for some reason.

I know many will disagree, but I'd love to have Saban as a coach in about 5+ yrs when Belichick eventually retires. I know he didn't do well with Miami in the NFL, but I think the situation is a bit different here in NE.
Saban is older than Belichick.

That's a good point. I wasn't aware of the fact that he's actually older than Belichick. I assumed that he was around 5 yrs younger for some reason.

B'OB supafly. That is the coach to take over after Beli. And I just hope some how we can get Hack to take over for Brady...

Good lawd that kid is special..

I hear you, and I assume that's what many will be hoping for. One way or another they'll be wanting to see Auburn since Auburn is going to be considered some great team now.

The truth of the matter is that I honestly don't see Auburn as any better than OSU. Both teams have QB's who will run on you, and Braxton Miller's passing is leagues above the Auburn QB (as it should be). OSU runs just as well as Auburn, if not even better, and both defenses are on the same par--and that's being kind to Auburn.

I think they were able to create the perfect storm this weekend vs ALA, and I also think they got a bunch of somewhat lucky breaks in the past 2 weeks in order to be playing in that SEC Championship too.

I think it's the SEC designation attached to Auburn that is clouding me and most people's perception. When you break it down that way, you're right. Although Miller is nothing spectacular, he's better than Nick Marshall, who is an athlete playing QB. Carlos Hyde is a beast and I'd take him over Tre Mason. Like you say, both Ds are meh.

This is my main problem with OSU and college football in general. The schedules are unbalanced. You can't tell me with a straight face OSU would be undefeated if they faced LSU, A&M, Georgia, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Missouri. While Auburn should be 10-2, I have a hard time believing OSU would go 11-1 with Auburns schedule.

I think it's the SEC designation attached to Auburn that is clouding me and most people's perception. When you break it down that way, you're right. Although Miller is nothing spectacular, he's better than Nick Marshall, who is an athlete playing QB. Carlos Hyde is a beast and I'd take him over Tre Mason. Like you say, both Ds are meh.

This is my main problem with OSU and college football in general. The schedules are unbalanced. You can't tell me with a straight face OSU would be undefeated if they faced LSU, A&M, Georgia, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Missouri. While Auburn should be 10-2, I have a hard time believing OSU would go 11-1 with Auburns schedule.

(HOMER POST)

OSU would not go 11-1 facing Oregon's schedule.

2438.gif

You can't tell me with a straight face OSU would be undefeated if they faced LSU, A&M, Georgia, Ole Miss, Alabama, and Missouri.
Georgia and Ole Miss suck. The list of really good SEC teams is short this year with the demise of Florida, Arkansas & Tennessee.

Georgia and Ole Miss suck. The list of really good SEC teams is short this year with the demise of Florida, Arkansas & Tennessee.

OSU almost lost to NW(one of the greatest covers in betting history) Illinois gave OSU a fight. And that god awful coached team Michigan almost beat them.

OT: Auburn-Alabama game ends on missed FG return

OSU almost lost to NW(one of the greatest covers in betting history) Illinois gave OSU a fight. And that god awful coached team Michigan almost beat them.

Yet the point is still to win whether by 1 or 40.
Undefeated is undefeated. Coulda shoulda woulda isn't earned on the field.

B'OB supafly. That is the coach to take over after Beli. And I just hope some how we can get Hack to take over for Brady...

Good lawd that kid is special..

You talking about the kid from Penn State? You'd think I'd know since I'm an alum, but I used to live in Columbus so I follow the Buckeyes much closer.

I agree though, he seems to be pretty special for being so young.

Just about every year (even the famous 2007 FTW tour) we see teams with losing records giving good teams a game. Just in 2007 alone we had BAL, PHI, and I'm sure there was a tougher divisional game at some point late in the season thrown in, although I don't remember specifically who it was against.

Even last year we had JAX, MIA, BUF etc who we struggled with for awhile, yet still went to the AFCCG and had a shot at the SB. I'd have hated if we couldn't have played for the SB in 2004 when we lost on Xmas eve to a 2-13 Miami team. Some days are better than others.

You can only play who is on your schedule, and even though Northwestern is deemed as poor now, they were ranked #16 at the time OSU played them. They were actually pumped up and played tough at home on Sat night in front of national TV. Of course now people are claiming that it should've been a walk in the park, but it doesn't always work like that.

In my opinion, if you're in a major conference and you beat all of your opponents, you're going to have a pretty good shot at competing for a national title. I will admit that the Big ten wasn't too good this year, but neither was FSU's ACC either, and yet you don't hear too much about that fact.

True. Hey I am with you Andy. But Like I said, I do not trust the voters, or the computers.

Just about every year (even the famous 2007 FTW tour) we see teams with losing records giving good teams a game. Just in 2007 alone we had BAL, PHI, and I'm sure there was a tougher divisional game at some point late in the season thrown in, although I don't remember specifically who it was against.

Even last year we had JAX, MIA, BUF etc who we struggled with for awhile, yet still went to the AFCCG and had a shot at the SB. I'd have hated if we couldn't have played for the SB in 2004 when we lost on Xmas eve to a 2-13 Miami team. Some days are better than others.

You can only play who is on your schedule, and even though Northwestern is deemed as poor now, they were ranked #16 at the time OSU played them. They were actually pumped up and played tough at home on Sat night in front of national TV. Of course now people are claiming that it should've been a walk in the park, but it doesn't always work like that.

In my opinion, if you're in a major conference and you beat all of your opponents, you're going to have a pretty good shot at competing for a national title. I will admit that the Big ten wasn't too good this year, but neither was FSU's ACC either, and yet you don't hear too much about that fact.

But the NFL is different. If the playoffs only consisted of the SB then it would be a lose and it's over situation late in the year.
There is no reasonable way to not eliminate a team for losing one game when the bar is set at undefeated.

In other words, Buckeye fans like myself kept complaining that the BCS system was flawed and everyone's response was "it is what it is."

Now that they are controlling their own destiny it seems as though this same argument is somehow being rearranged to be used against them. It's too late in the year for that crap to hold up anymore. 2 different times this season OSU needed 2 other teams to lose while they kept winning, and both times it happened. At this point in the season, the only thing that is going to matter is if you keep winning.

OSU's margain over Auburn is 2x what Alabama's margin over OSU was going into today, if that tells you anything. They both play top 10 teams next week, so I don't see anyway that Auburn is able to make up that kind of gap if they both win, even though it will obviously be closer.

Of course all of this is moot if OSU doesn't get the job done next Saturday night, but if they do win again they definitely deserve just as much of a shot at FSU does. Unfortunately for Auburn, they got into the party a little late for things to matter.

You talking about the kid from Penn State? You'd think I'd know since I'm an alum, but I used to live in Columbus so I follow the Buckeyes much closer.

I agree though, he seems to be pretty special for being so young.

God damn supafly, how are you a PSU alum and are not watching what a ridiculously great job B'OB is doing?

And not watching how great this kid Hackenberg is?

You really need to watch the PSU games my man. They're basically running the Pats O. And Hackenberg as a True freshmen, is unreal.

I am not even a PSU fan, and I am almost offend you have not seen what Billy has done the past 2 years.

Next year watch PSU, they're fun as hell. The bowl ban should be lifted next September, they got most of there schollies back this year.

Wow, you have been missing out on some great football bra..

What PSU did today to Whisky, and you being a Alum and missed it. Good god man.

But the NFL is different. If the playoffs only consisted of the SB then it would be a lose and it's over situation late in the year.
There is no reasonable way to not eliminate a team for losing one game when the bar is set at undefeated.

I'm actually agreeing with you as a diehard OSU fan. I think I'm trying to say that any team can pose a threat on any given day, but maybe it came out incorrectly.

It's quite possible that my comparison for NFL and NCAA was flawed from the get go, but the point is that we don't seem to care too much when a poor team beats one of the best teams, which happens in the NFL all the time. Sometimes on any level of football you just have a bad day, or the team with the poorer record has a great day and wins. I don't think that's a great way to try and judge though, as I'm not really liking the whole "style points" argument that some mediots and other fanbases present.

I can appreciate that our conference wasn't too good this year, but neither was the ACC for Florida State and somehow they don't get 1/2 of the flak that OSU gets. If you go undefeated in a major conference you should have a shot in my opinion. I can appreciate the argument for a one loss team eventually passing an undefeated, just not at this late point in the season. I think that argument is over myself and that OSU deserves to play if they win on Sat. We'll have to see how it shakes out though, but it would seem to me that OSU's margin over Auburn would be too much to make up by the end of next Saturday. Now...if there was a month left in the season, then they very well may have ended up passing them up depending on the schedules, but at this point they both play top 10 teams next week in their last games.

God damn supafly, how are you a PSU alum and are not watching what a ridiculously great job B'OB is doing?

And not watching how great this kid Hackenberg is?

You really need to watch the PSU games my man. They're basically running the Pats O. And Hackenberg as a True freshmen, is unreal.

I am not even a PSU fan, and I am almost offend you have not seen what Billy has done the past 2 years.

Next year watch PSU, they're fun as hell. The bowl ban should be lifted next September, they got most of there schollies back this year.

Wow, you have been missing out on some great football bra..

What PSU did today to Whisky, and you being a Alum and missed it. Good god man.

LOL.

I'm going to be a Boston University grad school alum too, but something tells me that I won't be following the Terriers too closely either.

The only PSU games I was able to see were the OSU game and the Michigan game. I am happy that their sanctions are starting to wind down a bit though, I don't want to get into that whole thing, but I think that became a bit too much against the school itself which was a shame.

I lived in Columbus and still have family in different parts of Ohio, so I've just always been an OSU fan.

I'm actually agreeing with you as a diehard OSU fan. I think I'm trying to say that any team can pose a threat on any given day, but maybe it came out incorrectly.

Gotcha. I'm a perfect world you would win your way in through conference playoff then a playoff of conference winners. We will be closer next year. But number 5 and maybe 6 and 7 will certainly argue they were screwed. There will be more controversy but a great November of college football as they jockey for spots.

LOL.

I'm going to be a Boston University grad school alum too, but something tells me that I won't be following the Terriers too closely either.

The only PSU games I was able to see were the OSU game and the Michigan game. I am happy that their sanctions are starting to wind down a bit though, I don't want to get into that whole thing, but I think that became a bit too much against the school itself which was a shame.

I lived in Columbus and still have family in different parts of Ohio, so I've just always been an OSU fan.

That's pretty cool, how your a fan of OSU. Alway interesting to me, being Canadian how Americans loyalty's to CFB teams lie.

Really enjoy talking CFB with you. And everyone one else on this site. You to Andy.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back