PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to remember: The Pats' defense is far, far better than Green Bay's, and so I expect that they'll be able to keep Atlanta close enough so that the Patriots don't need to become one-dimensional on offense. That will make it harder on Atlanta's defense if the Patriots have all of their arsenal at their disposal.

The Falcons have been overhauling their defense over the past two years, adding six new starters through the draft or free agency. Since being hired as Head Coach, Dan Quinn (formerly the Defensive Coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks) made it his goal to assist the rebuild by finding fast-moving athletes who could close in, tackle, and protect against matchup problems. That began in earnest in the 2015 draft, when the Falcons took pass rusher Vic Beasley  (and his 4.53-second 40-yard dash time )  with the eighth overall pick, and linebacker Deion Jones (4.59; in the 83rd percentile at the position) in the second round of the 2016 draft.

And since then, the Falcons have watched Beasley emerge into a dominant pass rusher who, in just his second year, has led the league with 15.5 sacks and six fumbles (most in the NFL). To go with Beasley’s forced fumbles, 2016 first-round pick Keanu Neal added five of his own (tied for third most in the NFL), and Jones  is tied for the league lead in passes defensed among linebackers.

Expectations surrounding Atlanta’s young, inexperienced defense were low heading into the season. The median age of its 11 most-used defenders is 24, and seven of those guys — Beasley, Jones, Neal, tackle Grady Jarrett, linebacker De’Vondre Campbell, and cornerbacks Brian Poole and Jalen Collins — are in their first or second seasons in the NFL.

Atlanta also struggled early in the season — and gave up a staggering 31 points per game over the first four games. Based only on their regular season numbers, this young Falcons defense doesn't come across as impressive. They rank 25th in yards allowed and 27th in points allowed while being 16th in total takeaways. But when you take a look at how the defense has performed since their Week 11 bye week, you start to gain a more complete picture:

Falcons Defense (Before Bye)
385.9 yards allowed per game
28.3 points allowed per game
1.57 turnovers per game

Falcons Defense (After Bye)
346.67 yards allowed per game
20.4 points allowed per game
1.83 turnovers per game

Since the Nov. 20 bye week and into the postseason, they have won seven of their last eight games, and allowed 21 or fewer points six of those eight outings. In that stretch of eight games, Atlanta has also forced 15 turnovers — four more than it managed over the first 10 weeks of the regular season.

Collins and Poole have helped keep the secondary afloat after star cornerback Desmond Trufant suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in Week 9. Their progression is such that their secondary got even better. From Week 1 to Week 9, the Falcons were 23rd in pass defense DVOA; but from that point on, they were 11th (ending at 19th on the season) and their defensive passer rating had fallen from nearly 101 to under 78. Meanwhile, linebackers Jones and Campbell are playing faster and smarter in all phases, which has stabilized many of the personnel packages Quinn spent the first half of the season tinkering with.

Overall, the Falcons defense has been a solid complement to their offense. They are not an elite defense by any means (ranking dead last in run-defense DVOA over the second half of the season)  but they are playing good complementary football, particularly when playing with a significant lead.

This was evident last night in the NFC Championship Game. While their offense got off to a quick start, Atlanta's young defense succeeded in pressuring Aaron Rodgers with six quarterback hits, two sacks; they also generated two turnovers, including an interception. Indeed, for the first 35 minutes of the game, the Falcons had kept Green Bay entirely out of the endzone. By the time the Packers finally got on the scoreboard, Atlanta had already amassed a 31-0 lead.

Last edited:
i think both teams are pretty evenly matched.

what stands out most to me is that the patriots are more consistent. the falcons have lost some easy games, but have also looked like an unstoppable force against some good teams. you never really know which falcons are going to show up, but with the patriots you know you are going to get a 30 point offense and a 14-19 point defense.

if the patriots can keep julio to manageable numbers i feel like the patriots can win this one easily.

They have four rookies starting on their nickel defense.

S Neal
LB Jones
LB Campbell
Slot CB Poole

While they have been pretty good, that is a key storyline and potential mismatch vs. Brady/BB.

They gave up an average of 20.5 points per game since their BYE week

This scared me till I realized they played Arizona (19 pts); KC (29 pts); Rams (14), SF (13), Panthers (16) and NO (32). Not a murderers row.

That is the formula the Eagles used in November to defeat Atlanta, rushing for 208 yards and even 50/50 run /pass balance,,,,,,,

And in that game, they got the Falcons into 3rd and long and brought pressure. I watched that game and don't think the Falcons converted many 3rd downs.

I've seen Atlanta a few times this year. They are better than their numbers show. They are fast but they are lacking in physicality. It's strange to say, but I think we can bully them on both sides of the ball.

Their defense is bad.

Their run defense definitely below average... but they've improved dramatically since their bye week in almost all other categories. It's been well documented that their defense is young and inexperienced (most of their starters are in their first or second year in the NFL) but despite struggling early on, they've been performing well --- winning seven of their last games incl. the postseason, and holding their opponent below 22 points in six of those wins.

I wouldn't say these are elite numbers, but it's a solid defense that complements the kind of football Atlanta is playing -- a defense that can protect large leads, generate turnovers, and get after the quarterback.

Their run defense is very bad... but they've improved dramatically since their bye week in almost all other categories. It's been well documented that their defense is young and inexperienced (most of their starters are in their first or second year in the NFL) but despite struggling early on, they've been performing well --- winning seven of their last games incl. the postseason, and holding their opponent below 22 points in six of those wins.

I wouldn't say these are elite numbers, but it's a solid defense that complements the kind of football Atlanta is playing -- a defense that can protect large leads, generate turnovers, and get after the quarterback.
Not buying it.
Those numbers don't show improvement as much as they show half the games were against LA SF and a Carolina team that checked out.

They are fast but they are lacking in physicality. It's strange to say, but I think we can bully them on both sides of the ball.

Why in the world is that " strange to say"? The Patriots are hands-down the most overall physical team in the NFL. That's not homerism, that's fact. They run the ball they stop the run. They tackle better than anyone. All their wrs are blocking beasts as are their rbs. Forget about LOB, Pats secondary hits harder than anyone. MB one of the hardest- hitting cbs I've ever seen. Ryan Chung dmac all bring the wood. Do I even have to mention High tower?

This is a very underrated aspect of the Patriots- to be extremely physical w/o playing dirty and racking up penalties.

Time for us to UNLEASH the MINGO!!!!!!!
I actually wonder if this could be a good idea. Mingo is fast and if we don't ask him to do anything except chase the QB it could add an unexpected wrinkle...

Falcons foundation is essentially a cover 3 but Quinn has been forced to mix in man. Base nickel

Spacing has been and is an issue w/ them. Esp on deep/inter crossers.
In Cover 3 your backers are going to be tested. Doesn’t matter if its backer like Jones (who has looked like a younger Shaz at times this year) or Neal (my top rated S just edging out Joseph. Neal is a wonderful interchangeable player w/ great instincts esp underneath in the box and will lay you out)

Both backers and S's have been caught looking in the backfield and underneath routes.
Move them back and theres a ton of space underneath to work w/ Lewis/White/11
Even still when in trips the Pats will get a backer or S on the inside man, closest to the QB. That could be Hogan, Jules who ever they want. Any of those guys have a +++ advantage in that match up running that clear out, crosser etc

I'm picking on Alford in coverage first who has def held his own at times but also is very handsy. I want 11 on him as much as possible.
After him Im looking at Collins. Again I want him matched up w/ Hogan or Edelman. He can't stay w/ them and if Floyd plays will be at a huge disadvantage their physically.

Up front the biggest focus is on Beasley w/out a doubt. This kid is really putting it all together but still has a long way to go.

Right now you want to get hands on him and smother him as much as possible. After that it's a wrap for the most part.

Right now they line him up out wide, think wide-9 and let him work. Its basically his speed rush that you're worrying about w/ his bend. Which has got better throughout his short career.
When he's lined up inside hes almost trying to execute some sort of exotic twist/stunt.
He has a long way to go but has more than a few high quality sacks even tho he feasted on Denvers poor T.

Grady Jarrett is a fire hydrant that def deserves some attention. Not the biggest DT but a bull w/ quickness and knows how to get skinny. Great motor. Im sure the draft guys were all over him.

Hagerman has always had trouble playing with leverage and functional strength but played one of, if not his best game last game.

This defense is playing better as a result of playing together, communication and some great speed.

However they can be run on by us imo. This Pats offense is no joke and when locked in, deadly. This whole group is smart, tough and physical.

Their spacing and diagnosing of routes/plays shows how young they are in the secondary.

Last edited:
They've lost 5 times this year, they're not the untouchable, unstoppable red avalanche the media is portraying them as. I've seen plenty of mediots crown them already, including Peter Schrager, who said he is betting the house on them. Yes, they're extremely impressive. Yes, they're explosive. But we're The New England ****ing Patriots.

Well, that is about right. That was a stinker by the Falcons.

Can someone look up the 3rd down conversion rate for the Falcons offense? I always feels that the Pats can convert 3rd and long at a good rate. How do the teams compare.

At the same time, it always feels that the Pats D stinks at 3rd and long situations!

Well, that is about right. That was a stinker by the Falcons.

Can someone look up the 3rd down conversion rate for the Falcons offense? I always feels that the Pats can convert 3rd and long at a good rate. How do the teams compare.

At the same time, it always feels that the Pats D stinks at 3rd and long situations!
Patriots defense is very good at 3rd and long it's just that fans think any more than zero allowed is pathetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back