PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to control TOP and wear out their defense. Run the ball down their throat for the first half with Blount. Let our OLine beat up the undersized Vic Beasley and Dwight Freeney.

That is the formula the Eagles used in November to defeat Atlanta, rushing for 208 yards and even 50/50 run /pass balance,,,,,,,

pats run blocking needs to improve a lot next game. they got nothing running it inside, the cetner and guards were pushed easily and quite a few rushes were negative. need to run effectively to keep their d honest

Their defense is bad.

Disagree. I'd call them average to slighty below average as of today. Not bad. A Bad D could not have held GB even if they had a bad day. Give Atlanta some credit for that. Doesn't mean they will do that vs us. If we execute well like GB should have they really can't stop a Good O. But to call them bad is unfair to where they are now.

Last edited:
Their offense outscores people. Other offenses become one dimensional so that actually helps the D out. They haven't been world beaters but they haven't really had to. How many of those yards and points were in "garbage time"? If your offense scores 40 you can afford to give up 30.

This is a lot like the arguments in favor of the Pats D in 2011.

The Pats balance should be the key in this game. I'm still not sure how it will go, but I expect the Pats to win. Whether it's a blowout or close is hard to say...and yes, there is a chance we could blow them out. A chance.

My early feeling is 31-23.

I think we'll see a lot more rushing attempts in this game to try to take advantage of how light and athletic Atlanta's front is. Particularly if the injury to Hageman is one that will impact him two weeks from now.

I am very interested in that injury. The impact of him being out/ineffective can't be overstated. If he is gone the chance they get much interior pass rush drops a good amount. If they don't get interior pass rush they get no pass rush. No pass rush for Atlanta means the Pats win.

In my mind it really is that simple.

This is a lot like the arguments in favor of the Pats D in 2011.

The Pats balance should be the key in this game. I'm still not sure how it will go, but I expect the Pats to win. Whether it's a blowout or close is hard to say...and yes, there is a chance we could blow them out. A chance.

My early feeling is 31-23.

My guess is a bit more high scoring. Pats 37 Falcons 27.

Their defense has been much better the second half of the season. But shouldn't be anything we can't handle

Stats aren't always everything. Sometimes a good game plan is all you need. Sometimes players you've never heard of break out and get hot.

We need to control TOP and wear out their defense. Run the ball down their throat for the first half with Blount. Let our OLine beat up the undersized Vic Beasley and Dwight Freeney.

They were 28th on the Defensive Hogs Index on CHFF and were 24th in Defensive Rusher Rating. Running the ball is the logical plan given their D and the need to keep Ryan and Jones sitting on the sideline.

Disagree. I'd call them average to slighty below average as of today. Not bad. A Bad D could not have held GB even if they had a bad day. Give Atlanta some credit for that. Doesn't mean they will do that vs us. If we execute well like GB should have they really can't stop a Good O. But to call them bad is unfair to where they are now.
No they are bad. They are bad against the run and bad against the pass. There is no harm in admitting that.

I'd love for a balanced attack Vs atl, but pats haven't been able run for schitt these last two playoff games

They were 28th on the Defensive Hogs Index on CHFF and were 24th in Defensive Rusher Rating. Running the ball is the logical plan given their D and the need to keep Ryan and Jones sitting on the sideline.

People forget that GB had no run game to speak of, and even the tiny shred they had left the game early. Even Seattle's run game has been suspect. The Pats are going to give the Falcons D a lot more balance. All three of our RBs are healthy. It could be a long day for the Atlanta D.

I am very interested in that injury. The impact of him being out/ineffective can't be overstated. If he is gone the chance they get much interior pass rush drops a good amount. If they don't get interior pass rush they get no pass rush. No pass rush for Atlanta means the Pats win.

In my mind it really is that simple.

Didn't Hageman come back into the game?

Even though we can beat them through the air, I expect a run first approach after 2 pass heavy schemes the past 2 weeks. This is the best offense we have faced since the greatest show on turf

Going to merge this thread, right now we have a few Atlanta Defense threads out there.

No they are bad. They are bad against the run and bad against the pass. There is no harm in admitting that.

Atlanta's D:

Pre-bye (10 games)
- 28.3 points allowed
- 385.9 yards allowed
- 11 turnovers (1.1 per game)

Post-bye (8 games)
- 20.5 points allowed
- 344.5 yards allowed
- 15 turnovers (1.9 per game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes