PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question, to me, is this: does Atlanta have DB's who can match up in man coverage against the Pats' offense? If not, they will end up having a long day like Pittsburgh. If they do, the game will be very close, and Atlanta has a chance to outscore the Pats.

The Falcons' base D is a Cover 3 zone, but they have gone to more man to man even after losing their best cover CB and done OK. With cover 3 often get a LB on the inside WR - may see more man coverage.

More about what have you done for me lately, Colts d in 2006 was ranked awful but they were awesome in the playoffs except for the AFC title game. I'd take a look at the Saints game on New Year's day for a good reference point, did they play all their starters?

Reason: Bob Sanders was playing.

The 2000s Dolts D was night and day when he was in/out of the lineup.

Never seen someone with that much of an impact on a defense.

There was some stat I saw that with Sanders out of the lineup the Colts allowed 40 more yards a game and 5 more points per game.

ATL has no one close to Sanders.

We will see man coverage. They will put their hands on our wrs. Our wideouts will have to beat that. I hope floyd's active for the superbowl.

Reason: Bob Sanders was playing.

The 2000s Dolts D was night and day when he was in/out of the lineup.

Never seen someone with that much of an impact on a defense.

There was some stat I saw that with Sanders out of the lineup the Colts allowed 40 more yards a game and 5 more points per game.

ATL has no one close to Sanders.
That guy, he'd get hurt game one get healthy for our midseason matchup and kill us then get hurt next game and miss the rest of the year.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
I don't usually like to make things too simplistic as far as keys to the game, but I think this one comes down to the most basic ingredient.

Tackling.

Yards after Catch
Atlanta 1) 6.5 per catch
Pats 3) 6.2 per catch

Yards after Catch Defense
Pats 1) 91 per game
Atlanta 32) 132 per game.

Much will be made of Atlantas run defense, but Brady uses short passes to mimic run plays. Don't be surprised at all to see that strategy against Atlanta, forcing them to tackle in space.

Also, Atlanta is close to the bottom in defending running backs (26th) and 3rd-4th receivers (29). I think we see a lot of hurry up, a lot of trip sets , and a lot of Dion Lewis/James white. It will also help nullify the pass rush early, and help control the line of scrimmage using tempo to our advantage.

You guys are getting way to caught up in the stat numbers. As a fan I have seen every game this year.....like twice. Atlanta has been getting so far out in front of teams this year in the 4th quarter in half their games, that The D starts to trade yards, and points for time off the clock. A perfect example of this is the last game of the season against NO. Atlanta was so far up in that game in the 4th quarter Ryan threw 3 passes only one was across the line of scrimmage. N.O. scored 21 points in the 4th because Atlanta was giving points and yardage for time. I can give you at least 4 more examples of this. 3/4 of the points Atlanta has given up has come in the first half of the year and in garbage time. 7 out of 11 players on D are rookies or 2nd year players. The average age of this D is 24, and that is with Babineaux at age 35! So the first half of the season was like you aint in college any more Frances! It has taken them awhile. As some of you posted the last half of the season has been so much better. Are we as good as NE? No! Are we a good D? No. I would say more right now as average. But I do know this we are much better than 90% of your fan base thinks we are. And I bet we are the fastest D in the NFL. As the say, you cant teach that!

Well, that is about right. That was a stinker by the Falcons.

Can someone look up the 3rd down conversion rate for the Falcons offense? I always feels that the Pats can convert 3rd and long at a good rate. How do the teams compare.

At the same time, it always feels that the Pats D stinks at 3rd and long situations!
Offense 3rd down conversion rate
Atl 11th in league 42% 75/178
NE 4th 46% 104/227
------------------
Defense- 3rd down conversion allowed
Atl 26th 42% 89/213 allowed
NE 6th best 37% 76/206

You guys are getting way to caught up in the stat numbers. As a fan I have seen every game this year.....like twice. Atlanta has been getting so far out in front of teams this year in the 4th quarter in half their games, that The D starts to trade yards, and points for time off the clock. A perfect example of this is the last game of the season against NO. Atlanta was so far up in that game in the 4th quarter Ryan threw 3 passes only one was across the line of scrimmage. N.O. scored 21 points in the 4th because Atlanta was giving points and yardage for time. I can give you at least 4 more examples of this. 3/4 of the points Atlanta has given up has come in the first half of the year and in garbage time. 7 out of 11 players on D are rookies or 2nd year players. The average age of this D is 24, and that is with Babineaux at age 35! So the first half of the season was like you aint in college any more Frances! It has taken them awhile. As some of you posted the last half of the season has been so much better. Are we as good as NE? No! Are we a good D? No. I would say more right now as average. But I do know this we are much better than 90% of your fan base thinks we are. And I bet we are the fastest D in the NFL. As the say, you cant teach that!

Welcome.

I don't think you said anything that hasn't already been said, but the scoring by quarter is a very important one. Pats and Falcons are the two best teams in the league at scoring early and often. Unfortunately for the Falcons, the Pats are also the best at points against early.

As for the fastest team in the league, there can be a good argument made for that. But, we just played another team with a similar makeup. Speed doesn't beat the Pats, positionally sound, toughness and tackling do. Those aren't strengths of the Falcons yet, although they are getting better.

Your defense has holes in it as the Packers showed last night. GB was able the ball on you guys, they just weren't able to finish. And Matt Ryan won't be able to do flip passes and expect to score touchdowns against our D.

Offense 3rd down conversion rate
Atl 11th in league 42% 75/178
NE 4th 46% 104/227
------------------
Defense- 3rd down conversion allowed
Atl 26th 42% 89/213 allowed
NE 6th best 37% 76/206

Great, thanks for pulling that. So both offenses are good on 3rd down but the Pats D is much better on 3rd down conversions.

At the same time, the differences are no that big (42-46% and 42 to 37%).

Your defense has holes in it as the Packers showed last night. GB was able the ball on you guys, they just weren't able to finish. And Matt Ryan won't be able to do flip passes and expect to score touchdowns against our D.
GB has balled on many defenses much better than ours. Just like we have balled on every D we played this year except one. Just saying I feel you are over looking our D. Like everyone else this year.

Not buying it.
Those numbers don't show improvement as much as they show half the games were against LA SF and a Carolina team that checked out.

3 of their the post-bye games were against divisional opponents who love to play spoiler regardless of their playoff standing.

1 game was against a Cardinals team that was the 6th-ranked scoring offense averaging 26.12 points per game. Atlanta held them to 19 points.

The remaining 2 games were against the Rams and 49ers - who are two of the worst offenses in the NFL, but the Falcons held them to 14 and 13 points - roughly the same as the Patriots did.

This is a Falcons defense that has its flaws is very young and inexperienced, but they have managed to overcome injuries, gain confidence, develop an identity, and finish strong. If they can get their team this far, then I would not underestimate them.

Last edited:
Hageman is a part timer who is not all that.....

Jarrett is OK and Babineaux is old

I see the Pats moving the ball pretty much at will against this bunch

GB has balled on many defenses much better than ours. Just like we have balled on every D we played this year except one. Just saying I feel you are over looking our D. Like everyone else this year.

You haven't played an offense like ours yet.....

That guy, he'd get hurt game one get healthy for our midseason matchup and kill us then get hurt next game and miss the rest of the year.

Exactly.

When Bob Sanders started more than 14 games (2005 and 2007) the Dolts finished 2nd and 1st in points allowed.

He had a total disregard for his body.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP

Atlanta had a huge edge yesterday with home field advantage. The noise in that stadium clearly rattled GB. I'm not saying Atlanta isn't any good because they are. Just that the score was lopsided in large part to the crowd noise. It reminded me of NO demolishing us in 2009 in their building. The score was not reflective of us as a team that day.

Hageman is a part timer who is not all that.....
Did you see the play when Hageman sprawled out like he was hurt while the play went on beside him??.. It was Haynesworthy-esque and not in a good way.. He was gassed... Bubba if that gassed you, wait for two weeks from now....

Atlanta had a huge edge yesterday with home field advantage. The noise in that stadium clearly rattled GB. I'm not saying Atlanta isn't any good because they are. Just that the score was lopsided in large part to the crowd noise. It reminded me of NO demolishing us in 2009 in their building. The score was not reflective of us as a team that day.

Scoring 1st q. Home away
Patriots. 8.4 8.8
Atlanta. 10.2 5.9

Def 1st q home away
Patriots. 1.6. 2.4
Atlanta. 4.7. 3.5

Pats offense travels well, Atlanta plays a lot more conservative on the road. Can't do that us against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes