PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Atlanta's Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Lets talk about this. I think the game will be decided here. If we score on them enough with our D doing what it can to hold them in check we will win.

The key to this game in particular is the Pats OL vs Atlanta's DL. If the Pats win that battle they win the game. Simple as that. The Atlanta back 7 are not scrubs like the packers but they can not handle our offense or Brady if he is given time and can step up in the pocket.

Atlanta has some very good pass rushers but can be had on run defense somewhat. Vic Beasley of course is the main guy but he is more of a pure outside pass rusher. So as bold a statement as it is I will say he will not have much impact on this game. Our OTs have been amazing. I see no reason why that would stop. They shut down guys just as good and will do so to Beasley. Maybe Atlanta moves him to the inside to pass rush but that would leave a very questionable match up on one of our RBs if they attack the area with a backup OLB or guy playing out of position. Tom won't miss that. Also I don't see the DEs having much success. Freeney isn't good enough to beat Solder anymore and the other DEs aren't scary.

The guys who really can influence this game are Jarrett Grady - DT and Re'Shede Hageman - DT. Both are playing pretty well as far as pass rushers. The young Hageman in particular has stepped it up recently. Reminds me a bit of Tuitt. Had a big game vs GB. He will try to build on that.

Other things matter this game of course but to me this is where the game is won and lost. Stop this pass rush and their D can't stop our O. If that happens we will out score them as our D will offer resistance and theirs with no pass rush will not.

The question, to me, is this: does Atlanta have DB's who can match up in man coverage against the Pats' offense? If not, they will end up having a long day like Pittsburgh. If they do, the game will be very close, and Atlanta has a chance to outscore the Pats.

The question, to me, is this: does Atlanta have DB's who can match up in man coverage against the Pats' offense? If not, they will end up having a long day like Pittsburgh. If they do, the game will be very close, and Atlanta has a chance to outscore the Pats.

If they had a healthy Desmond Trufant maybe they would be close. He is out for the year though. Short answer is no. They don't have the guys to stick with our weapons. That is why they need the pass rush to get home up the middle as the outside pass rush has not worked on the Pats all season really.

We've faced a better pass rush from Houston and offense put up 27 points against them (not including the Dion Lewis kick-off return TD). I have faith that the pass protection will be good (Brady will probably be sacked once or twice, no more). We can definitely keep up with Atlanta if the game turns into a shootout. Our run blocking has to be better though, it has been pretty poor the past two games (saw quite a few times that Blount/Lewis was hit behind LOS).

I'm still more worried about our secondary against Atlanta's passing offense, to me that's the biggest key to winning the game.

How is Atlantas Defense under-rated? They are 25th in the league in points allowed and 27th in the league in yards allowed.

They lost to the buccaneers, seahawks, chargers, eagles, and chiefs. They had total blowout wins against the Saints, Buccaneers, Rams, and 49ers. Not exactly good teams seeing how non of them even made the playffs. Those teams have a combined record of 22-42. They have had a great post season run playing against a Seahwaks team that played a 40% Richard Sherman, and GB didn't seem to even show up. So I do not see how they are under-rated at all.
What about the Atlanta defense shows they are under-rated?

They gave up an average of 20.5 points per game since their BYE week and lost to the only team that even made the playoffs. All the other teams had a losing record and 2 of them included the Rams and 49ers.

How how how are they under-rated?

We've faced a better pass rush from Houston and offense put up 27 points against them (not including the Dion Lewis kick-off return TD). I have faith that the pass protection will be good (Brady will probably be sacked once or twice, no more). We can definitely keep up with Atlanta if the game turns into a shootout. Our run blocking has to be better though, it has been pretty poor the past two games (saw quite a few times that Blount/Lewis was hit behind LOS).

I'm still more worried about our secondary against Atlanta's passing offense, to me that's the biggest key to winning the game.

A lot of people see it that way but i don't. That match up will be billed as the big one. #1 O vs #1 D and all. However I look at that and i figure the Pats will not hold em back much. They will score points. However their offense isn't going to run up and down the field on us. I think we hold them between 24-31. Somewhere in there. If they do then that should be enough if the OL blocks well. If we give Brady time we score more than 31.

I see it as a simple match up. Atlanta's O is too good and talented to stop but the Pats D is too smart, physical, disciplined and scrappy to get their doors blown off. So I think Atlanta hits below their 33PPG average by about 3-10 points. Probably somewhere in the middle. If I had to put a number on it... 27 is what we give up. If that happens and the OL holds Pats win.

Last edited:
Statistically they aren't good. The only thing you can argue for is that just as much as the perfect conditions in their dome help their offense, it also helps the opposing offense so the Falcons defense hasn't had the advantage of playing in tough conditions for the offense.

But, no, I'm not saying they're under rated. Actual stats and Football Outsiders agree they aren't good.

People discredit our defense because the last 6 QBs we played before Pittsburgh were all back up material.

If our defense wants respect, this is the game to show up.

People discredit our defense because the last 6 QBs we played before Pittsburgh were all back up material.

If our defense wants respect, this is the game to show up.

True but this thread is about Atlanta's D. :p I know the other match up will get talked up more. It is more interesting but i already believe i know how that will play out. Here is where the game will be decided IMO and it comes down likely to what Mason/Andrews/Thuney do not Julio Jones.

We know what Jones will do. We know Butler and Ryan and our DBs will fight hard. We know all that. Those 2 units are well scoutted. The Atlanta D has been evolving and improving but is probably not good enough yet with their big injury to their #1 CB.

They have young talent up the middle and on the DL. We have young talent in the middle of our OL. These young unsure quantities will decide it. IMO

Stats aren't always everything. Sometimes a good game plan is all you need. Sometimes players you've never heard of break out and get hot.

We need to control TOP and wear out their defense. Run the ball down their throat for the first half with Blount. Let our OLine beat up the undersized Vic Beasley and Dwight Freeney.

Our secondary is the strength of the defense. Almost everyone in it has been playing sufficient to great.

The only weak spot I see in that secondary is Eric Rowe. I think he has been lucking out a few too many times to feel comfortable about. It seems like other QB's have had the opportunities to get him. And generally those chances have failed, but not so much to do with stellar coverage. He does some things well but I don't feel confident in his coverage.

Atlanta goes back and forth between zone and man a good amount. And when they play zone it is a more aggressive style of zone ala Seattle. However they don't have the secondary to pull it off like they do. They are young and Brady can pump fake and manipulate them if he has time. In man no one they have will keep with Edelman and also we get a RB on a LB. Brady will take that all day.

Also if they go man how much do they dedicate to Hogan. They know Brady will play action deep pass if he can with Hogan. If he takes up 2 guys someone underneath will come lose. If just 1 then that might be open for 6.

Their style in the back 7 isn't bad but their talent can't execute it very well at this moment.

Their offense outscores people. Other offenses become one dimensional so that actually helps the D out. They haven't been world beaters but they haven't really had to. How many of those yards and points were in "garbage time"? If your offense scores 40 you can afford to give up 30. On paper the Pats stack-up well. Too bad this isn't a paper airplane contest so the paper doesn't matter. I expect a high 20's to low 30's game. Something like 27 - 34.

I think we'll see a lot more rushing attempts in this game to try to take advantage of how light and athletic Atlanta's front is. Particularly if the injury to Hageman is one that will impact him two weeks from now.

They are a bit underrated. They are a young group that has improved as the year has gone on. So they are not as bad as their stats say. However they started off bad and became average. They will not jump from average to good.

I don't put much stock in the GB game. They had a lot of help from GB. miscues which lead to a missed FG and a badly timed fumbled. The drops and Rodgers just not playing well. The OL not coming to play and the injuries piling up there making it worse.

They did well vs GB don't get me wrong but GB laid an egg and when they managed to get any momentum in the first half they snuffed it out themselves mostly.

Their D is IMO average. If Beasley is ineffective a tad below average. That is what I expect 2 Sundays from now. If out OL holds their D will have no answer for our offense. IDC if they are in man or zone or goal line. They difference in ability will show.

Last edited:
I do think that their rankings can be a bit misleading, as with so many young starters you expect that they'll get better as those players get more comfortable in the NFL (assuming they are well coached, which they appear to be).

There's also the Super Bowl factor, which can really mix things up. As much as I "expect" this to be a 35-31 style game, I'll never be shocked by a random 21-17 game in a Super Bowl. It's basically a circus, throw everything to this point out the window.

More about what have you done for me lately, Colts d in 2006 was ranked awful but they were awesome in the playoffs except for the AFC title game. I'd take a look at the Saints game on New Year's day for a good reference point, did they play all their starters?

They are a bit underrated. They are a young group that has improved at the year has gone on. So they are not as bad as their stats say. However they started off bad and became average. They will not jump from average to good.

I don't put much stock in the GB game. They had a lot of help from GB. miscues which lead to a missed FG and a badly timed fumbled. The drops and Rodgers just not playing well. The OL not coming to play and the injuries piling up there making it worse.

They did well vs GB don't get me wrong but GB laid an egg and when they managed to get any momentum in the first half they snuffed it out themselves mostly.

Their D is IMO average. If Beasley is ineffective a tad below average. That is what I expect 2 Sundays from now. If out OL holds their D will have no answer for our offense. IDC if they are in man or zone or goal line. They difference in ability will show.
Their defense is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back