PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about some FAs on defense?

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If the Patriots are going to be pathetic trying to land offensive FAs, can they at least try to land some help on the defense?. Guregian raises a good point about bring back Stephon Gilmore as a mentor. Maybe bolster the D in the FA period and draft for offense.....just a thought.

I know all you guys are going to jump down my throat and say that the defense is fine, but my feeling is that you have to continuously upgrade all areas of the team to just stay at the same level. And, since it looks like the Patriots offense is going to be pathetic again this season, they better have a solid D.

Would love to go for Stephon Gilmore and Justin Simmons.

At CB right now, we have Christian Gonzalez, Jonathan Jones, Alex Austin, Marcus Jones, Marco Wilson, Isiah Bolden. Gonzalez showed good promise as a rookie and is an unquestioned started on the outside. Jon Jones has been fine outside but is best in the slot. Alex Austin played well down the stretch, but would be better served as the depth option at outside CB vs. starter, IMO. Marcus Jones showed some flashes on defense, but again is probably a better depth option than starter. Marco Wilson and Bolden are camp competition types right now, with some promise. Add Gilmore to the mix as a starter opposite Gonzalez and also a mentor. That pushes Jon Jones back into the slot where he's best. Austin and Marcus Jones provide great depth on the outside (Austin) and inside (Jones). Marco Wilson or Bolden have an opportunity to make the team in a 6th CB role depending on final numbers.

At FS, we don't have a center field type. Justin Simmons excels in that role. You can keep running the 3-safety looks with Dugger and Peppers, using one of them as a LB and playing lots of dime like we have in the past. Mapu rotating in too I guess, but more a depth option than key contributor for as long as both Dugger and Peppers are here. Simmons plugs the whole in cover 1 schemes and adds another good vet.

Both Gilmore and Simmons are respected locker room guys so they add character and leadership too, along with filling in on-field areas of weakness on an overall solid unit.

Would love to go for Stephon Gilmore and Justin Simmons.

At CB right now, we have Christian Gonzalez, Jonathan Jones, Alex Austin, Marcus Jones, Marco Wilson, Isiah Bolden. Gonzalez showed good promise as a rookie and is an unquestioned started on the outside. Jon Jones has been fine outside but is best in the slot. Alex Austin played well down the stretch, but would be better served as the depth option at outside CB vs. starter, IMO. Marcus Jones showed some flashes on defense, but again is probably a better depth option than starter. Marco Wilson and Bolden are camp competition types right now, with some promise. Add Gilmore to the mix as a starter opposite Gonzalez and also a mentor. That pushes Jon Jones back into the slot where he's best. Austin and Marcus Jones provide great depth on the outside (Austin) and inside (Jones). Marco Wilson or Bolden have an opportunity to make the team in a 6th CB role depending on final numbers.

At FS, we don't have a center field type. Justin Simmons excels in that role. You can keep running the 3-safety looks with Dugger and Peppers, using one of them as a LB and playing lots of dime like we have in the past. Mapu rotating in too I guess, but more a depth option than key contributor for as long as both Dugger and Peppers are here. Simmons plugs the whole in cover 1 schemes and adds another good vet.

Both Gilmore and Simmons are respected locker room guys so they add character and leadership too, along with filling in on-field areas of weakness on an overall solid unit.
I expect Myles Bryant to be back and as for Marcus Jones, there are very high expectations for him in the slot. I believe he is the team's slot CB for the future.

Who cares? Whoever they get isn't going to make you happy anyways.
It is hard to be happy when your team had 4 wins last year and has not done much of anything to fix the problem. Maybe the Patriots are happy with 4 wins; it certainly seems that way..or maybe they are just incompetent.

Last edited:
SAFETY
I would be shocked if we don’t add a safety or two in free agency. Both Mills and
Phillips are gone. We needed a free safety last year.
O
CORNER
As of now, we start Gonzo, Austin and Jones.

We have a lot of competition for the other spots, plus the possibility of. Bryant and or Jackson coming back.

Marcus may look like a nickel, but I think that he is better outside.

IMO, the secondary would improve greatly with top corner opposite GONZO..

MG BOTTOM LINE
Sign the best FS and corner that we can get.

I said over a month ago that the place that it made the most sense to look at in FA was on the D side of the house, would have loved a splash on that side for an additional difference maker...but that is not the way the FO is going to build the team, so that is the way we are going to move forward.

If the Patriots are going to be pathetic trying to land offensive FAs, can they at least try to land some help on the defense?. Guregian raises a good point about bring back Stephon Gilmore as a mentor. Maybe bolster the D in the FA period and draft for offense.....just a thought.

I know all you guys are going to jump down my throat and say that the defense is fine, but my feeling is that you have to continuously upgrade all areas of the team to just stay at the same level. And, since it looks like the Patriots offense is going to be pathetic again this season, they better have a solid D.
I won't jump down your throat at all. You make valid points! Although I'm starting to actually have some hope the offense can go from putrid to mediocre. I'm really high on Gibson. I've made mention that why don't we extend peppers or Barmore?

These guys are part of the new era, guys that are huge parts of the defense.

Definitely still think a few veterans would be useful on this side of the ball.

Here's one: How about KVN for pass rush depth? He'd reunite with Hightower.

A
SAFETY
I would be shocked if we don’t add a safety or two in free agency. Both Mills and
Phillips are gone. We needed a free safety last year.
O
CORNER
As of now, we start Gonzo, Austin and Jones.

We have a lot of competition for the other spots, plus the possibility of. Bryant and or Jackson coming back.

Marcus may look like a nickel, but I think that he is better outside.

IMO, the secondary would improve greatly with top corner opposite GONZO..

MG BOTTOM LINE
Sign the best FS and corner that we can get.
Agreed. Is why at CB I'm hoping for Austin to have a good camp. This guy has the tools,instincts to be a dam good CB on the outside.

FS absolutely, I don't know exactly what mayo wants to do there. Jon Jones? Becuase we should have already signed one. Or maybe marpu?

A

Agreed. Is why at CB I'm hoping for Austin to have a good camp. This guy has the tools,instincts to be a dam good CB on the outside.

FS absolutely, I don't know exactly what mayo wants to do there. Jon Jones? Becuase we should have already signed one. Or maybe marpu?

Me too. Real head scratcher that we haven't signed a free safety. Doesn't make sense. I can't picture Mapu as a free safety. Maybe they see Mapu as Mack Wilson's replacement.

Me too. Real head scratcher that we haven't signed a free safety. Doesn't make sense. I can't picture Mapu as a free safety. Maybe they see Mapu as Mack Wilson's replacement.
Maybe they're waiting to see what they come away with in the draft?

Mapu was terrible at deep S - he looked like Chris Carter in 1999. He played better (not by much) in the box or at LB. Peppers or Dugger are playing FS or else it's just hoarding at the same position.

As much as I didn't want the other older players, I'd love Gilmore. The Patriots have a trio of young players who are long and athletic, and who better to help them refine their techniques than Gilly?

I agree with adding D talent. I see mentions of a lot of 30-something vet players. So far, Brissett is the only 30-something signed. Looks like they're looking for younger players.

Under 30 FS:
Justin Simmons (30)
Tracy Walker (29)
Terrel Edmunds (27)
Johnathon Ford (28)

Under 30 CB:
Gilly (33)
Xavien Howard (30)
JC Jackson(28)
Adoree Jackson (28)
Rock YaSin (27)
Shaquille Griffin (28)