PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about some FAs on defense?

Maybe they're waiting to see what they come away with in the draft?

I think it is too much to ask for the Patriots to fix this pathetic offseason with the draft. The team has too many holes to fill with just the draft. They need at least 2-3 OLmen, 2 WRs, and a TE, just on offense. Depending on the draft to fix all the screwups in this offseason is a crap shoot because you don't know how these player will perform at the pro level; some will be busts. At least with a FA or trade you (sort of) know how the player performed in the pros (of course, the Patriots have made some bad FA signings in the recent past also).

A lot of the D are FAs in 2025. These include:

DL - Barmore, Judon, Wise, Uche, Godchaux, Ekuale, Watts.
LB - Tavai, McMillian
DB - Peppers, Duggar, Blescoe, J.Jones, Wade

You'd think they'll have to extend at least a few of the DL and S this year, or go external. Otherwise that a lot of defensive starters hitting FA at once. Its not as if they have the luxury of doing the normal solution and going D in the higher rounds of the draft given the gaps in the O roster.

I think it is too much to ask for the Patriots to fix this pathetic offseason with the draft. The team has too many holes to fill with just the draft. They need at least 2-3 OLmen, 2 WRs, and a TE, just on offense. Depending on the draft to fix all the screwups in this offseason is a crap shoot because you don't know how these player will perform at the pro level; some will be busts. At least with a FA or trade you (sort of) know how the player performed in the pros (of course, the Patriots have made some bad FA signings in the recent past also).
While they could upgrade both OTs, they don’t need 2-3 OL.

They’ve got Henry and Hooper at TE. That’s a decent TE room.

At WR, it’s Osborn, Bourne, JJSS (hopefully his knee is healed), Douglas and 3 youngsters fighting out the last 1 or 2 spots.

They’ll bring in more.

If the Patriots are going to be pathetic trying to land offensive FAs, can they at least try to land some help on the defense?. Guregian raises a good point about bring back Stephon Gilmore as a mentor. Maybe bolster the D in the FA period and draft for offense.....just a thought.

I know all you guys are going to jump down my throat and say that the defense is fine, but my feeling is that you have to continuously upgrade all areas of the team to just stay at the same level. And, since it looks like the Patriots offense is going to be pathetic again this season, they better have a solid D.

Who, specifically and at what $$, would you have had them sign on offense, that they didn't?

Agree entirely on on Gilmore; a bunch of us have been on signing him since the end of the season. I don't know if he's a good teacher/mentor, but if he's half decent at it, he'd be perfect.

They need him or another vet CB and a safety now, and add to depth at DT and edge by the time the season starts. But if one of the more talented defensive FA's is available as camp rolls around, regardless of position, why not? Value shopping at the end of free agency is a great way to strengthen the team anywhere.

There are a lot of guys on the D who are FA next year, so I expect we'll see a handful of them extended in the coming couple of months. That'll chew up some of the cap room and further send the board over the edge with impatience.

Would love to go for Stephon Gilmore and Justin Simmons.

At CB right now, we have Christian Gonzalez, Jonathan Jones, Alex Austin, Marcus Jones, Marco Wilson, Isiah Bolden. Gonzalez showed good promise as a rookie and is an unquestioned started on the outside. Jon Jones has been fine outside but is best in the slot. Alex Austin played well down the stretch, but would be better served as the depth option at outside CB vs. starter, IMO. Marcus Jones showed some flashes on defense, but again is probably a better depth option than starter. Marco Wilson and Bolden are camp competition types right now, with some promise. Add Gilmore to the mix as a starter opposite Gonzalez and also a mentor. That pushes Jon Jones back into the slot where he's best. Austin and Marcus Jones provide great depth on the outside (Austin) and inside (Jones). Marco Wilson or Bolden have an opportunity to make the team in a 6th CB role depending on final numbers.

At FS, we don't have a center field type. Justin Simmons excels in that role. You can keep running the 3-safety looks with Dugger and Peppers, using one of them as a LB and playing lots of dime like we have in the past. Mapu rotating in too I guess, but more a depth option than key contributor for as long as both Dugger and Peppers are here. Simmons plugs the whole in cover 1 schemes and adds another good vet.

Both Gilmore and Simmons are respected locker room guys so they add character and leadership too, along with filling in on-field areas of weakness on an overall solid unit.
re: justin simmons, do you think they see Dugger as a free safety? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense really to have him and Peppers playing the same position.

Last edited:
My biggest concern is the DL. The rotation at DT is getting thinner and we have a lot of question marks after Barmore and Godchaux.

Why wait that long when there’s cheap, available talent at positions of need (FS & Outside CB) right now?

Waiting until after the draft to see who’s left is penny wise but pound foolish.
Oh yeah, it's a terrible idea, but I can't really figure out what else their thinking is on this.

Why wait that long when there’s cheap, available talent at positions of need (FS & Outside CB) right now?

Waiting until after the draft to see who’s left is penny wise but pound foolish.
'Keeping the powder dry' has been the theme of this year's offseason, unless it's to sign someone from the scrap heap.

re: justin simmons, do you think they see Dugger as a free safety? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense really to have him and Peppers playing the same position.

I certainly hope they don’t; because he isn’t.

A lot of the D are FAs in 2025. These include:

DL - Barmore, Judon, Wise, Uche, Godchaux, Ekuale, Watts.
LB - Tavai, McMillian
DB - Peppers, Duggar, Blescoe, J.Jones, Wade

You'd think they'll have to extend at least a few of the DL and S this year, or go external. Otherwise that a lot of defensive starters hitting FA at once. Its not as if they have the luxury of doing the normal solution and going D in the higher rounds of the draft given the gaps in the O roster.
Extend barmore this offseason

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back