PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can the Patriots stop the run?

I have a feeling that my initial question here about stopping the run was posted on the lockers rooms because the Patriots first string line was devastating last night. They crushed the running and passing game. I was soooo wrong....but maybe I PO'd the right people...

I have a feeling that my initial question here about stopping the run was posted on the lockers rooms because the Patriots first string line was devastating last night. They crushed the running and passing game. I was soooo wrong....but maybe I PO'd the right people...
Early on, what got my attention was the repeated penetration / rb's being challenged in the backfield. The DL did its job so the attackers could do theirs. If this can be a constant theme of the run D, no back will kill us.

Well, as long as they can defend the outside runs as well.

Early on, what got my attention was the repeated penetration / rb's being challenged in the backfield. The DL did its job so the attackers could do theirs. If this can be a constant theme of the run D, no back will kill us.

Well, as long as they can defend the outside runs as well.
Yes, and what I liked most about that was that it was total domination of Tennessee’s first string OL. Ones on ones and it was lopsided.

Patriot's NFL defensive rankings last season:

6th in Fewest Rushing yards Allowed
4th in Fewest Rushing Yards Per Attempt
1st in Fewest Rushing TD's Allowed

They added Keion White, Marte Mapu and got Christian Barmore back healthy.

Who did they lose?
I’m not worried so much about the run defense unless we are against teams with a true impact running back like Jonathan Taylor or in the past Derrick Henry. Even so I think we’ll be fine.

Pass defense is just a lot more important.

Still think we need a Beef Curtain; and Bill obviously didn't believe that Carl's Junior Davis would've been part of the solution... If the Chargers try to sneak Dorchestah's Jerrod Clark through waivers, I would make a claim for him.

Looks like Bill's answer to the question's gonna be in the numbers: 5 DTs kept, for now...

Bump this thread. The first two weeks the Pats haven't been able to stop the run. Guys are slow reacting and their lack of speed to the outside was glaring on Sunday night. Mapu was very slow reacting to the Mostert TD run early in the game and Bentley gets caught in the trash too often. Dogchow had a massive whiff on Mostert later in the game.

Last edited:
Bump this thread. The first two weeks the Pats haven't been able to stop the run. Guys are slow reacting and their lack of speed to the outside was glaring on Sunday night. Mapu has very slow reacting to the Mostert TD run early in the game and Bentley gets caught in the trash too often. Dogchow had a massive whiff on Mostert later in the game.
I am sure they will see plenty of Breece Hall and Dalvin Cook this week.

Yes.

Against Miami they were more concerned stopping the speedy WRs from making big gainers.

The Jets do have Garrett Wilson.

He’ll get his 80-115 yards. But force Zach Wilson to have to throw it. He’s a turnover waiting to happen.

Stop Breece Hall and the Jets running game.

The thing about our run defense the last few years is that when it ****s the bed it really ****s the bed and getting gashed in the run game is one of the hardest things to watch as fan. It would be nice to see them course correct in the middle of a game the way the 2000s defenses used to. I know it's harder to do in the modern NFL because if you sell out on the run you're going to get owned in the passing game. This is why I think we stuck to the dime package against the Dolphins and hope your guys up front can figure out their assignments.

Our poor run defense against Miami was because our defense schemed pass first and our defense is slow.

Yep; and our interior defensive line, plus "captain" Dee Wise, just isn't very good.

this is a good post to point to when discussing the Pats offense.

the Pats defense will try to take away the opposing teams offensive best tendencies. against Philly and Miami, they wanted to stop Waddle, Hill, Brown, Smith. they devoted the scheme and personnel to do so, and it pretty much worked out well, maybe even very well. against Philly, Barmore, Tavai, Bentley, White, Bryant all tackled well and played angles well against the run. the game was decided by FG's, an int and fumble. otherwise, the Pats played Philly as good as a team can expect. against Miami, the team did not tackle well. the above mentioned players failed to set the edge, and left open lanes for Miami to run thru. Waddle and Hill were somewhat contained, but the other defenders did not do their jobs.

flip to when the Pats are on offense. who is the opposing defense scheming? who are they taking out? they are not devoting additional help on any WR. they are not spying on Mac. that leaves the Pats playmakers having to make plays. beat their defenders one on one. so far, the Pats playmakers are not, save for a pass here and there to Bourne and Henry. a couple of screen passes to Stevenson. otherwise, no one is making plays, and the defenders are free to do as they please.

the Pats defense will try to take away the opposing teams offensive best tendencies. against Philly and Miami, they wanted to stop Waddle, Hill, Brown, Smith. they devoted the scheme and personnel to do so, and it pretty much worked out well, maybe even very well. against Philly, Barmore, Tavai, Bentley, White, Bryant all tackled well and played angles well against the run. the game was decided by FG's, an int and fumble. otherwise, the Pats played Philly as good as a team can expect. against Miami, the team did not tackle well. the above mentioned players failed to set the edge, and left open lanes for Miami to run thru. Waddle and Hill were somewhat contained, but the other defenders did not do their jobs.

flip to when the Pats are on offense. who is the opposing defense scheming? who are they taking out? they are not devoting additional help on any WR. they are not spying on Mac. that leaves the Pats playmakers having to make plays. beat their defenders one on one. so far, the Pats playmakers are not, save for a pass here and there to Bourne and Henry. a couple of screen passes to Stevenson. otherwise, no one is making plays, and the defenders are free to do as they please.
Great post, I'd like to make mention.. at what point is Jalen Reagor going to get a look on offense? Clearly right now juju isn't 100%.. no one other than occasionally Bourne and DD can make plays. Reagor has the size ,speed and quickness to be a factor at outside WR..

I'm not ready to bail on our starting WRs but if juju isn't right sit him until he is.. allow other guys that can contribute and add different dynamics to the offense. We NEED pop Douglas to play as well.

You absolutely right about the game plan on defense.. Mayo was content with Miami running the ball.. I can bet the d line wants to restore thier pride and will be all over Breece hall and Carter.

Sunday is pretty much a must win to me!

Great post: we have to string together so many plays to move the football the dreaded penalty just inflates Mac and the Offense. We have to find a way to get some chunk plays so we are not putting so much pressure on our OL. That worked in the Brady years when had a well Coached fundamental Teams these post Brady Teams just doesn't have it.

Great post, I'd like to make mention.. at what point is Jalen Reagor going to get a look on offense? Clearly right now juju isn't 100%.. no one other than occasionally Bourne and DD can make plays. Reagor has the size ,speed and quickness to be a factor at outside WR..

I'm not ready to bail on our starting WRs but if juju isn't right sit him until he is.. allow other guys that can contribute and add different dynamics to the offense. We NEED pop Douglas to play as well.

You absolutely right about the game plan on defense.. Mayo was content with Miami running the ball.. I can bet the d line wants to restore thier pride and will be all over Breece hall and Carter.

Sunday is pretty much a must win to me!
We have K Boutte who if he had came down inbounds on those two Third Down catches would be heralded.

We have K Boutte who if he had came down inbounds on those two Third Down catches would be heralded.
Agreed isn't he hurt?.. we just need someone to step up make plays outside the numbers..

Agreed isn't he hurt?.. we just need someone to step up make plays outside the numbers..
Outside the numbers might be Mac's Achilles they take forever to get there on the hang. Good Defense can flood the middle thus the quick behind the sticks throws.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back