PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we consider drafting Joe Alt in the first round?

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Big thick tackle, fills a hole we need on the line, and would, at least in theory, make the job of any QB we happen to have much easier.

Looking at this roster, and especially at the way Mac got hung out to dry, taking the best OL in the draft just feels like the sort of thing we need to be thinking about. Remember we're coming off a year where not just QB was garbage but so was the ground game. One or the other struggling you look at the skill players, but if both are struggling together, the reason is usually weakness in the trenches.

and a tackle that can go 1v1 against the best pass rushers and help their guards is precious to both offense and defense. Success in the trenches keeps the offense on the field and getting some sustained drives will actually make the defense play better.

Frankly I'm looking down the list of possible QBs and see some guys who could make it into the second round that I definitely like. Spencer Rattler, Michael Pratt, Jordan Travis, JMIII, all promising guys and some of them will slip down to us. Pratt and JMIII in particular look very good to me

There's nothing sacred about the first round when it comes to finding your quarterback. Hell Brock Purdy's on his way to establishing himself as a premium QB and he was literally Mr. irrelevant. Meanwhile everyone knows the value of a good line. Alt will go quickly. I want to be the team he goes to.

I'd rather have Alt leading a revamped O-line and Pratt or JMIII under center, then Drake Maye and the a la carte mess of an OL we had last year.

The point being we have options beyond the first round to fill that need at QB, and top tacklees are worth their considerable weight in gold. It's something to think about.

Big thick tackle, fills a hole we need on the line, and would, at least in theory, make the job of any QB we happen to have much easier.

Looking at this roster, and especially at the way Mac got hung out to dry, taking the best OL in the draft just feels like the sort of thing we need to be thinking about. Remember we're coming off a year where not just QB was garbage but so was the ground game. One or the other struggling you look at the skill players, but if both are struggling together, the reason is usually weakness in the trenches.

and a tackle that can go 1v1 against the best pass rushers and help their guards is precious to both offense and defense. Success in the trenches keeps the offense on the field and getting some sustained drives will actually make the defense play better.

Frankly I'm looking down the list of possible QBs and see some guys who could make it into the second round that I definitely like. Spencer Rattler, Michael Pratt, Jordan Travis, JMIII, all promising guys and some of them will slip down to us. Pratt and JMIII in particular look very good to me

There's nothing sacred about the first round when it comes to finding your quarterback. Hell Brock Purdy's on his way to establishing himself as a premium QB and he was literally Mr. irrelevant. Meanwhile everyone knows the value of a good line. Alt will go quickly. I want to be the team he goes to.

I'd rather have Alt leading a revamped O-line and Pratt or JMIII under center, then Drake Maye and the a la carte mess of an OL we had last year.

The point being we have options beyond the first round to fill that need at QB, and top tacklees are worth their considerable weight in gold. It's something to think about.
QB is most Important Position on Offense it's Starts there if you can get one your Left Tackle don't have to be all world. That said I wouldn't take a Alt @ 3 definitely after a Trade Down.

No. MHJ would have to be gone and we'd also have to hate Maye AND Daniels to decide to get Alt.

A tackle is important. But as a singular position it is not as impactful as either of those.

No. MHJ would have to be gone and we'd also have to hate Maye AND Daniels to decide to get Alt.

A tackle is important. But as a singular position it is not as impactful as either of those.
Yeah, definitely not saying Alt and no QB. But there's a ton of interesting mid round guys to pick up at QB. Not that many 6'9" tackles. Also like that Alt is a high floor guy.

Also you'd be shocked at how much success in the trenches impacts the whole team. Sustained offensive drives are good for the defense. And the best way to do sustained drives consistently is being able to win in the trenches.

No, I’d be shocked to not take a QB at 3. The quarterbacks in next year’s draft don’t rate too well. We need to take the best QB we can this year. That rookie will then sit on the bench while watching Brisset get the snot beat out of him. Then we’ll get the best OT in next year’s draft.

You better be right if you don't choose the QB.

If we don't go QB I think Alt is the choice.

The problem with most trade out scenarios is that they probably wind up without Alt or MHJ. If we want one of them and even if we want the Q I think trading with Zona or LAC is worth considering.

The ideal scenario would be to rob from LAC so they can trade up for MHJ. Be certain that Zona won't trade back because they want Alt too bad and then still get Maye or Daniels at 5. Similarly if we don't want the Q we could do the same trade with Alt or MHJ but that gets tricky too as they could take them both.

I want the QB but if we don't get the QB, Alt, or MHJ I'll be pretty disappointed. Hopefully if that happens we get Fashanu or Nabers and the haul is big enough to still be happy.

No, I’d be shocked to not take a QB at 3. The quarterbacks in next year’s draft don’t rate too well. We need to take the best QB we can this year. That rookie will then sit on the bench while watching Brisset get the snot beat out of him. Then we’ll get the best OT in next year’s draft.
There's QBs beyond the handful of hyped guys. Frankly I like the video I've seen on Joe Milton III and he's probably not going in R1. Big strong kid with a surprising burst and a cannon. Lots to like.

On a trade down most definitely yes.

I'm kind hoping we can get Alt and Brock Bowers in the first.

LT Alt
LG Sow
C Andrews, very deep draft for F replacement
RG Onwenu
RT Okorafor very deep draft for RT

Strange quality back up.

It would fix the oline overnight. It would go from one of the worst to a very good one.

Problem is, if you fix the oline, go with Brissett and you have a good running game and defense, are you going to get the opportunity to draft 3 in the near future to improve the QB position? Your probably gonna win 6 or 8 games with that. Do you have a QB in mind in the late first early 2nd in mind to draft?

Maye, Daniels or McCarthy seem like the consensus. The safe pick is Alt or Harrison but the glory or despair lies with the QB.

Not at 3. If they choose to trade down absolutely. Agreed about the trenches. The GSOT didn’t start with Warner it started when Orlando Pace was picked first overall.

A trade down obviously would mean they’re not in love with anyone available to them on the board to pick at 3.

If they trade down (don't think they will) and get 11 and 23, I think 11 would STILL be a QB, and Alt will be long gone by 23, probably by 11.

No, they need a QB. They'll take who they most like with their first pick, I expect, then might even take a Jordan Travis or Rattler later on as insurance.

Absolutely. I think you’ve ID two game-changing rookies for this lacklustre offense.

This offense is a train wreck after Belichick’s mismanagement. It would turn Maye into Zach Wilson.

Need a LT to come in and be Matt Light. You willing to roll with VLowe or Mister Anderson?

If so, the QB should be able to sue you for gross negligence.

There's QBs beyond the handful of hyped guys. Frankly I like the video I've seen on Joe Milton III and he's probably not going in R1. Big strong kid with a surprising burst and a cannon. Lots to like.

He looks good in the video. I’m not familiar with him so I looked him up. He’s already 24 and going into his 7th college season.

IMG_0716.png

The NCAA is getting very loose with the eligibility rules.

Last edited:
Do you have a QB in mind in the late first early 2nd in mind to draft?

if Joe Milton III slips into the second round, and I consider this possible, then yes. Milton is a s tud.

couple other guys down there I've got my eye on too. Especially Travis and Pratt.

Looking deep into potential third round guys, here's some highlights from Austin Reed. Looks familiar.

if Joe Milton III slips into the second round, and I consider this possible, then yes. Milton is a s tud.

couple other guys down there I've got my eye on too. Especially Travis and Pratt.
Oh I don’t think you’ll have to worry about Milton “slipping” to the 2nd round. More like 4-7

It's a noble thought but I don't think it's going to be easy to trade down and get Alt and pick up enough to be selecting in a spot to get Bowers.

We can get haul by trading back but then it will probably be to far back to still get Alt. A smaller trade with Zona or LAC probably still gets us Alt but probably not enough for Bowers without giving up something else to get back into the first.

And what about QB in this plan?

Last edited:
He looks good in the video. I’m not familiar with him so I looked him up. He’s already 24 and going into his 7th college season.

View attachment 57111

The NCAA. Is getting very loose with the eligibility rules.
Not a big fan. He’s got the cannon like you mentioned, good guy. Trying to forget his senior bowl game.

Slight trade down. Get Alt. Then with our next pick get a WR. South Carolina’s Xavier Legette? Then, move up slightly with our additional draft capital to draft one of the steals of this draft. A guy—very much unlike most of the highly touted QBs—has had adversity. And has risen through it.

Ask any Gamecock fan and he’ll acknowledge that in a tough situation this past season, Spencer Rattler brought stability and leadership.

The dude has a legit arm, intentionality, leadership, and the kind of sweet release that is memorable.

Last edited:
No, absolutely not.

Check out this 2022 NFL Draft:

6. Ikem Ekwonu, T
7. Evan Neal, T
8. Drake London, WR
9. Charles Cross, T
10. Garrett Wilson, WR

All 3 of these tackles have struggled and been underwhelming. Unless they turn things around quickly, they will verge into bust territory.

Look who they passed up at WR.

Worse, can you imagine if Drake Maye turns into Josh Allen or Justin Herbert and New England ends up with a middling Alt?

It's early to judge a guy like Ekwonu a bust, but he described this as a lost year in his career as so many things went wrong. Neal the same with the Giants.

Every position has busts, no position is foolproof.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back