PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante goes off on Bill/Pats organization

BB is old school and has not adapted to the ways that the modern player wants to be treated.
Put yourself in the position of a valued UFA who has multiple suitors with similar deals on the table.

Why would you want to come to NE? perhaps if you thought BB and staff could improve your game so you get more $$ for the next contract.
Brady in the past was the draw. Now that he is gone, why subject yourself to the whims of a grouchy old guy?
BB won't care though. There are so many players available for every position and not enough teams with cap space a/o needs that aside from the top elite talent, there will be bargains at the mid-tier level. Bill will again jump at the chance to bring a bunch of mid-tier guys for relatively cheap deals. I doubt he'll pay what it takes to get an elite player.

Harrison did nothing for us. This is what I'm asking. Who are the others? I'm talking about guys that came i and helped us. We had a lot of Joey Galloways, Chad Ochocino's, James Harrison's. But these players were not helpful. I still say Revis is the only impactful player who came who is in the category of wouldn't have come if the Patriots weren't Super Bowl contenders. Rodney came after a non-playoff year, remember.
I never said these veterans were impactful just that they came in cheap chasing a ring. My point being he won't spend what it takes to get elite players (with few exceptions like Gilmore).

Independent of what I think about Asante, I found the story interesting from a "behind the scenes" standpoint. I don't know if he's ever told that 2006 Bears game story before.

Regards,
Chris

FFS, he was drafted in the fourth round in 2003, played 4 years for the Pats on his rookie deal, then got franchised, then left.

Seriously, shut the f*** up.

I never said these veterans were impactful just that they came in cheap chasing a ring. My point being he won't spend what it takes to get elite players (with few exceptions like Gilmore).
i just wrote that FA hasn't been a help for us in my initial post on this matter. I don't think this narrative about Asante killing Bill will have any impact on the team.

The guys in Philly sure aren't having a lot more fun any more either. For that matter, Asante had a pretty brutal relationship with people in Philly.

Which is why I want to know the real reason why Butler was benched and threw away the SB. It wasn’t really a “football reason” IMO. I hope the real reason was much better than just a BB power play.

It's definitely interesting and probably warrants its own thread...

As for A$ante...my memory of him wasn't about the 10 INTs, or even the missed INT...it's seeing the back of his jersey on a lot of opposing TDs. That's truly the image I have in my head when I think of him...

McCourty and Slater are two high character dudes who seem to be very cool with BB. Plenty of other Pats greats are also good with BB. Asante seems to be the outlier...wonder why?

Bitter NE players that were happy to sacrifice to win while playing are now out of football and wish they had the money instead.

Ive always said that you cant drive or live in a Super Bowl ring.

He got the money.

Drafted 2003. Played out to 2006.

Franchised in 2007 and a big contract 2008 with Philly?

He's bitter because Belichick didn't value him and instead to having a media career that even Heath Evans had.....he's a nobody who only gains fame bad mouthing Belichick and getting the idiot section of patsfans riled.

See that's how reality works. You actually see what happened for just posting nonsense on patsfans.

Last edited:
He got the money.

Franchised in 2007 and a big contract 2008.

He's bitter because Belichick didn't value him.

See that's how reality works. You actually see what happened for just posting nonsense on patsfans.
In the beginning of the video he states Bill holds players back and he was benched for no reason in favor of a WR. Because of this and probably other reasons, he wanted to leave NE after 2006 but was Franchise Tagged and that upset him. If Bill didn’t value him, he wouldn’t have been tagged.

The most alarming part was how he put his foot down and warned Bill if he didn’t agree to not Franchise tag him again after 2007. Players are slowly starting to get if you make enough noise, you’ll get what you want. For example, all the big name players on the Jaguars D kicked and screamed their way out just recently.

So much toxic and salty Pat fans. Mob mentality at its finest this thread is.

It is somewhat interesting to watch how many are choosing to shoot the messenger here, rather than to deal with the message. But I say somewhat, because it's not particularly surprising given the history of this happening here.

So much toxic and salty Pat fans. Mob mentality at its finest this thread is.
Yep. Biggest myth in pro sports are players want to win Championships. While they’re are the very few like Brady, Jordan, Kobe and others, most guys are just there to get paid.

You can’t hate Samuel for wanting to get paid. Now that Super Bowl drop and losing Tyree in coverage.....

In the beginning of the video he states Bill holds players back and he was benched for no reason in favor of a WR. Because of this and probably other reasons, he wanted to leave NE after 2006 but was Franchise Tagged and that upset him. If Bill didn’t value him, he wouldn’t have been tagged.

The most alarming part was how he put his foot down and warned Bill if he didn’t agree to not Franchise tag him again after 2007. Players are slowly starting to get if you make enough noise, you’ll get what you want. For example, all the big name players on the Jaguars D kicked and screamed their way out just recently.

Only a complete idiot could possibly care what some video says. You do realize this is 2003-7? A lot has happened since then.

I just told you reality. Look at my earlier post on the timeline. It's FACT/FACT/FACT

Who could possibly give a rat's azz if he was upset he got franchised? The franchise tag is a league tool agreed by the NFLPA and is valid to use. Franchise players get like the average of top 3 or 5 money. They are well paid.

Also, here's another FACT. Belichick franchised him because he only wanted him back that year. Why would Belichick want him back after he dropped a game saving interception.

The very play that could have saved an undefeated season because your GOAT decided to play like a lamb ready for slaughter.

Ian

This one some very serious mental, emotional, and intellectual issues. Case study of what was mentioned earlier.

I have no doubt Samuel has reasons to be bitter with Bill. That said let's be flipping real.

I highly doubt he went in and told Bill he was going to blow the entire team up. I doubt even more he was flaunting it after a pick and the entire team joined in going crazy because they all thought he was right.

What the hell was he saying again and again? Bonk? I still couldn't figure it out.

What's a fact.

1. He did gamble all the time. It's not even debatable. The tape shows it.
  2. He shot his way out of Philly as well and they were less than happy with his gambling and regretted that contract.
  3. He references Ty Law getting praised for making plays and says he got dubbed a cover 2 corner who was a gambler. Ty Law did everything within the context of the defense and played tough man to man. Assante was a total gambler.
  4. Ty Law caught his gimme interception in the SB and took it to the house.
  5. Assante Samuel dropped his which would have sealed a perfect season.
  6. Rodney Harrison is on record as are others that Samuel missed his assignment on Tyree. I don't remember Ty Law missing assignments.
  7. Assante was so ignorant he said he deserved to be in the HOF and Daryl Green didn't because he had more picks. LOL. Again watch the tape moron. Daryl Green was a flat out stud for almost 20 years. You played 10 and about half of those you were a very good player.
  8. He dissed so many ex-teammates in that interview it's disgusting.
  9. He thinks he should be a HOFer because he has a lot of picks. He is the definition of player with more stats than they were worth.
  10. This really is only a fact in regards to how loudly I would laugh. "In the second round of the 2021 NFL draft the New England Patriots select Asante Samuel Junior. Suck on that Asante Samuel Senior."

It is somewhat interesting to watch how many are choosing to shoot the messenger here, rather than to deal with the message. But I say somewhat, because it's not particularly surprising given the history of this happening here.

Could certainly argue this mentality is what led to the fanbase normalizing:
  • Brady writing a long, heartfelt letter and not even mentioning Belichick, an absolutely incredible snub.
  • Gronkowski willing to actually retire and give up $10M, even joining the WWE, rather than play for Belichick, even though Brady was still with the team.
These are not normal things that just happen and shouldn’t be brushed off as “the team and player had different goals, and the player is just bitter.” The fact is current players are never going to complain about the team writing their checks. But when former players like Ted Johnson, Danny Amendola, Asante Samuel, etc. offer criticism, it’s always met with a knee jerk ad hominem.

Only a complete idiot could possibly care what some video says. You do realize this is 2003-7? A lot has happened since then.

I just told you reality. Look at my earlier post on the timeline. It's FACT/FACT/FACT

Who could possibly give a rat's azz if he was upset he got franchised? The franchise tag is a league tool agreed by the NFLPA and is valid to use. Franchise players get like the average of top 3 or 5 money. They are well paid.

Also, here's another FACT. Belichick franchised him because he only wanted him back that year. Why would Belichick want him back after he dropped a game saving interception.

The very play that could have saved an undefeated season because your GOAT decided to play like a lamb ready for slaughter.

Ian

This one some very serious mental, emotional, and intellectual issues. Case study of what was mentioned earlier.

1613853253225.jpeg

• Brady writing a long, heartfelt letter and not even mentioning Belichick, an absolutely incredible snub.
  • Gronkowski willing to actually retire and give up $10M, even joining the WWE, rather than play for Belichick, even though Brady was still with the team.
These are not normal things that just happen and shouldn’t be brushed off as “the team and player had different goals, and the player is just bitter.” The fact is current players are never going to complain about the team writing their checks. But when former players like Ted Johnson, Danny Amendola, Asante Samuel, etc. offer criticism, it’s always met with a knee jerk ad hominem.
Yeah. To be honest us losing Brady the way we did was a rarity. I know people are going to find other ways to justify it, but in nearly every other case of an elite QB leaving his hallmark franchise, it's either they got washed or their was an abundantly obvious replacement in the building that the team wanted to move to. Montana was injured and they had Young waiting in the wings, Farve was old and wishy washy about committing so and they were developing Rodgers, Manning sustained a massive injury and Luck was there for the taking. The Pats had Brady who wasn't washed and was committing to being there for awhile and they had no real replacement that the team trusted.

That's not a normal thing that just happens in the NFL.

I have no doubt Samuel has reasons to be bitter with Bill. That said let's be flipping real.

I highly doubt he went in and told Bill he was going to blow the entire team up. I doubt even more he was flaunting it after a pick and the entire team joined in going crazy because they all thought he was right.

What the hell was he saying again and again? Bonk? I still couldn't figure it out.

What's a fact.

1. He did gamble all the time. It's not even debatable. The tape shows it.
  2. He shot his way out of Philly as well and they were less than happy with his gambling and regretted that contract.
  3. He references Ty Law getting praised for making plays and says he got dubbed a cover 2 corner who was a gambler. Ty Law did everything within the context of the defense and played tough man to man. Assante was a total gambler.
  4. Ty Law caught his gimme interception in the SB and took it to the house.
  5. Assante Samuel dropped his which would have sealed a perfect season.
  6. Rodney Harrison is on record as are others that Samuel missed his assignment on Tyree. I don't remember Ty Law missing assignments.
  7. Assante was so ignorant he said he deserved to be in the HOF and Daryl Green didn't because he had more picks. LOL. Again watch the tape moron. Daryl Green was a flat out stud for almost 20 years. You played 10 and about half of those you were a very good player.
  8. He dissed so many ex-teammates in that interview it's disgusting.
  9. He thinks he should be a HOFer because he has a lot of picks. He is the definition of player with more stats than they were worth.
  10. This really is only a fact in regards to how loudly I would laugh. "In the second round of the 2021 NFL draft the New England Patriots select Asante Samuel Junior. Suck on that Asante Samuel Senior."
All this tells me is he is the furthest thing from what we should be looking for a as a locker room guy.
I never liked his style of play.
Wouldn’t wrap up went for helmet to helmet and I swear he dropped that Int In the superbowl on purpose now that I hear this crap.
Would anyone doubt he dropped that to screw bill?
He doesn’t care About the team what a DB.

All this tells me is he is the furthest thing from what we should be looking for a as a locker room guy.
I never liked his style of play.
Wouldn’t wrap up went for helmet to helmet and I swear he dropped that Int In the superbowl on purpose now that I hear this crap.
Would anyone doubt he dropped that to screw bill?
He doesn’t care About the team what a DB.
Would take 53 Troy Browns Rodney Harrison’s before a a get paid to this Asante Samuel.

The mentality of circling the wagons really infests New England, and not just when it comes to sports. The region is, perhaps, the most tribal (not talking indians) area of the country.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back