PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are there any first round prospects you really don't want?

We've evaluated guys highly, as 1st round picks. And when they've dropped, we've taken them.
I should just avoid draft threads.

So...apparently it's bad to have a draft scheme wherein a team grades a prospect high, but not so high that they use a high pick, but instead use a low one. So you're saying "buy low, sell high" is NOT the way to approach drafts or monetary pursuits especially in an extremely high failure rate enterprise like professional football player drafts?

Somebody get my investor on the line.

(and yes, I realize you're saying "just follow all the mock drafts" as your other bedrock point, but that's even LESS informed an approach. Scheme fit, coachability, and other factors are just as critical to drafting as what the mock drafts align their entire model on...numbers - and they are in no way tailored to any particular team)

This is one of the most interesting drafts I have seen in a long time. There’s not a lot of disagreement on the top 25 prospects, but where they go numerically and who takes them is all over the place. It’s looking like a very active first round, and I like that as the unpredictability creates opportunities. I disagree strongly with those ruling out prospects on need, there are going to be All Pro caliber prospects at 15, and they should take them even if they aren’t obvious need positions. You don’t become great in one draft or free agency, it’s a build up of great players through all the different ways of getting them. I don’t expect a Lombardi this coming season, but if they can set the franchise up for years of success by accumulating great players then keep doing it until you get there.

I agree; this will be a wild draft. There may be a run on QBs early and then all sorts of good players will drop presenting some interesting opportunities for the Patriots. I don't see them trading up unless it is 2-3 places. Trading down and getting some picks for next year is another possibility. I am OK with either approach, but just don't let McDaniels make any picks.

I love Assante Samuel, Jr., but I don't want to see him go to a division rival and there is no way the Patriots can draft him (but...?). It would really suck to see him playing for Miami; he can really deliver the wood and he would be extra motivated when playing the Patriots.

I agree; this will be a wild draft. There may be a run on QBs early and then all sorts of good players will drop presenting some interesting opportunities for the Patriots. I don't see them trading up unless it is 2-3 places. Trading down and getting some picks for next year is another possibility. I am OK with either approach, but just don't let McDaniels make any picks.

I love Assante Samuel, Jr., but I don't want to see him go to a division rival and there is no way the Patriots can draft him (but...?). It would really suck to see him playing for Miami; he can really deliver the wood and he would be extra motivated when playing the Patriots.
I agree with much of this, but I haven’t seen Samuel play so I don’t have an opinion on him. I do think his father would b.tch like crazy if he were drafted by Belichick. I’m more concerned that the fish are going to get Chase or Pitts, so I’m hoping Atlanta takes Pitts, and Cincy takes Chase, both are going to be great pro’s, and really tough to cover.

Looking at that list again:

Davey - Nothing except for funny arguments on Patriots boards 20 years ago.
Kingsbury - We illegally I/R'd him....per a radio interview he gave. He ended up a coach.
Cassell - Looked like crap except for the 2008 season. We got a 2nd rounder for him and Vrabel.
O'Connell - Another coach we drafted. I am sensing a theme here.
Robinson - Nothing.
Mallett - He was the #2 QB for two years before we finagled a 6th for him.
Garoppolo - Highest drafted QB in the BB era. Started 1.5 games...and we got a 2nd for him. Not too bad.
Brissett - Started 2.5 games, went on to be the Colts' starter following Luck's retirement, and we got Dorsett for him straight up.
Etling - Last I read, he was a back up for the Falcons....mostly remembered for a cool run in preseason.
Stidham - Was good enough to be our #2 in 2019 following a good preseason...fell off a cliff last year...could be better this year.

So, we burned:

2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 7th, and Vrabel

for

2nd, 2nd, 6th, Dorsett (2-3 seasons), 20 QB starts (4 from JG/JB and 16 from Cassell), and still have Stidham.

Not a GREAT haul, but we didn't burn a lot of assets as well.
This doesn't take into account the backup qb position. An NFL team needs to have at least one capable backup qb to step in in case the starting qb gets hurt. If you don't have a drafted qb as your backup you have to go and get a veteran at the going rate. The Patriots had the GOAT qb for all those years, Brady basically missed one season in that entire time. During that same time how many years did those qb's listed above act as the backup?

I think Michel lives in a strange no-mans land between overdrafted yet productive. Most first round misses flame out badly...I feel if Michel had been taken as a 2nd or 3rd it would be a success, and still it isn't a signing that makes me cry badly.
I agree. It's like the angel and devil on one shoulder....

Devil: Never lived up to the hype, just another run of the mill RB. You could have used the pick more wisely elswhere.

Angel: But he played his best when you needed him the most. While he may have only been 'better than average' for a short time (2018 playoffs) it did result in a Championship. Isn't that justification enough?

This doesn't take into account the backup qb position. An NFL team needs to have at least one capable backup qb to step in in case the starting qb gets hurt. If you don't have a drafted qb as your backup you have to go and get a veteran at the going rate. The Patriots had the GOAT qb for all those years, Brady basically missed one season in that entire time. During that same time how many years did those qb's listed above act as the backup?
The Cassel pick was a great pick. Use a 7th for a guy who never played in college because he was behind two Heismsn winners, get an 11-5 season out of him when Brady goes down, then get a 2nd ( Patrick Chung) for him.

We also had some veterans like: Michael Bishop (I think he was drafted in 1999 by Grier), John Friesz, Brian Hoyer, Matt Gutirrez, Damon Huard, Doug Flutie, and Vinny Testaverde.

Does anyone realize that Brady is going to be older than Vinny Testaverde (when BB let him break the record for most consecutive seasons with at least 1 TD pass) in his final season this August? Insane!!!

We also had some veterans like: Michael Bishop (I think he was drafted in 1999 by Grier), John Friesz, Brian Hoyer, Matt Gutirrez, Damon Huard, Doug Flutie, and Vinny Testaverde.

Does anyone realize that Brady is going to be older than Vinny Testaverde (when BB let him break the record for most consecutive seasons with at least 1 TD pass) in his final season this August? Insane!!!

It's that diet Brady is on. 20 more years, he will still look as he is now, and all of us fans will look more like 30 years older... :)

I think Michel lives in a strange no-mans land between overdrafted yet productive. Most first round misses flame out badly...I feel if Michel had been taken as a 2nd or 3rd it would be a success, and still it isn't a signing that makes me cry badly.
If he'd gone after Chubb, the pick would be viewed a lot more favorably, though probably still not with much enthusiasm or joy. But the team choosing the wrong teammate basically serves as the dagger in the back to the selection.

If he'd gone after Chubb, the pick would be viewed a lot more favorably, though probably still not with much enthusiasm or joy. But the team choosing the wrong teammate basically serves as the dagger in the back to the selection.
For some who constantly ***** about everything the Patriots do.

I think he's one player off Bill's draft board. His Dad hates Bill and I'm sure he's told his son stuff that will make him not want to play for Bill.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back