PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Chiefs in trouble?

I'm just happy Tyreek Hill doesn't get a second ring to beat on tiny women and children. Scumbag.

Well, well, well.

What do we have here? The Chiefs led the NFL in penalties in 2020 and are 3rd in defensive holding. Romo alluded to KC using this tactic during the 2020 AFCC.

Paper Tiger

Yeah but they need to beef up the defense there. As really what was the defense thinking in those penalties. That cost them the game!?

The Chiefs are fine. As of now I'd make them favourites for next year's Superbowl. They do need some improvements defensively, but then so does almost every team. Importantly they'll have Schwartz and Fisher back, who for my money are the best tackle pair in the league, with Remmers back at his normal position.

They're set up to challenge for a long while, don't be in any doubt.
Fisher had an Achilles tear in week 20. He may not be back next year

Not for next year. They are about 19M over the cap. If they redo Honey Badger, Schwartz and Fisher that goes a lot way to fixing it, The only issue is a long term extension with Fisher after he's been injured this late is risky considering he is 30 (so a quick bounce back for opening day will be tough for a guy his size at that age). They could just cut him, but then they eat his 3.2M and have to sign another tackle. Personally I think they extend him, start him on the PUP and roll the dice. Even restructures of all 3 they will still be a tiny bit over most likely. So they'll have to go to Hill too. It will get them under this year, but it will make the year after hurt worse. As for Schwartz, he has 3.75 guaranteed money. They could cut him if he can't go like they can Fisher, but they would have to both eat that and sign a new guy. Neither option for them is good. People who say KC's OL troubles will be all better next season may well be wrong.

This means they lose Watkins, Robinson and Williams on offense. Much more importantly their Center who is pretty close to pro bowl level is almost surely gone. They also lose some very important pieces like Ward, Sorenson, Breeland, Kpassagnon, Wilson, Neimann and Okafor. It's important to know that Ward in particular is a RFA, but IDK if it will matter come time to pay up.

It's important to note they have some talent in the pipe line to cover for some of this, like Hardmann, Thornill and Sneed. But it doesn't cover everything and while none of these guys besides C Reiter, CB Ward and DL Kpassagnon would really hurt all that much by themselves, it is the the fact they will almost certainly lose all of them at once that will matter. They will still be able to field a very good team, but it will have a few more holes than last year and be thinner. They will only have 5 DBs worth playing in the NFL that I know of. Hardmann after 2 years still has issues with his route running an hands IMO. They pass rush is going to depend almost entirely on Jones/Frank alone. And unless they hit in the draft their LBs may actually be worse this year.

Their offense will depend even more on Hill and Kelce (whose turning 32). Their OL will be healthier of course, but the hole at Center will be there all year and it could be they need to start over entirely at the tackle position, if the choose to keep Reiter. Neither option is good. They will still be a top contender due to their high end talent, but they will have less margin for error than they did this year. Thankfully, much of the league will be dealing with the same thing, much of it will be hit worse.

IF you want to talk about trouble then talk about GB. They will be in big trouble. They are losing Aaron Jones for sure, and their OL is pretty much guaranteed to lose 2 starters. As far as the top teams this year I think besides the Saints they are in the worst spot.

Last edited:
Imagine how different the narrative around Mahomes and Jimmy G would be if he made just one or two more passes in the 4th quarter last year and Mahomes didn't.

Now niners are looking to move on from Jimmy and Mahomes is talked as the next brady/Manning/Rodgers

The only issue is a long term extension with Fisher after he's been injured this late is risky considering he is 30 (so a quick bounce back for opening day will be tough for a guy his size at that age). They could just cut him, but then they eat his 3.2M and have to sign another tackle.
If they cut Fisher, they’d owe him more eventually under the Injury Protection Benefit too. I know it was $1.2M in the old CBA, and I swear they increased it with the new CBA but I can’t find it right now.

The pats defense held the Chiefs to 19, 26 & 31 points in their last 3 matchups. The 31 points in the AFCCG was partly due to some poor referring (no OPI, JC Jackson vs Watkins).

I’m not saying the pats are close to the chiefs. However, they are a horrible matchup for them now that they are losing their WR2:

Kelce - Gilmore
Hill - Jones + Dmac
Hardman - Jackson

Reid couldn’t run the ball vs. a 3 man DL of Winovich, Butler & Wise. They are allergic to 3rd & short.

I hope BB can make a 10-6 caliber roster this offseason. The defense is built to upset them.

The pats defense held the Chiefs to 19, 26 & 31 points in their last 3 matchups. The 31 points in the AFCCG was partly due to some poor referring (no OPI, JC Jackson vs Watkins).

I’m not saying the pats are close to the chiefs. However, they are a horrible matchup for them now that they are losing their WR2:

Kelce - Gilmore
Hill - Jones + Dmac
Hardman - Jackson

Reid couldn’t run the ball vs. a 3 man DL of Winovich, Butler & Wise. They are allergic to 3rd & short.

I hope BB can make a 10-6 caliber roster this offseason. The defense is built to upset them.

Power rankings style ranking is actually N/A.

What we do know now is it's reasonable to expect us to hold them to 17-24 points per game. Belichick has the "blueprint" now so should be good.

Is it insurmountable to expect an offense that can score 18-25 against their defense?

Football is all about matchups you have to have personnel that favorably match with people expected in the playoffs. Everybody should beat bad teams.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back