PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Patriots Giving Butler away for a 2nd Round Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jets are putting a package together.

492699604_69c8b5f39d_b.jpg

Yes, the saints will give NE a 2nd rounder.... but they'll also give us a 3rd rounder. ;)

That was the discussion and consensus on the NFL network round table.

My question. Why would New England give up their leverage where they'd get a 1st round pick for any team who signed him? Why would they take LESS?

Makes no sense whatsoever. You tell me, a 2nd round pick or a year with Butler (worst case scenario) and even two years if you want to franchise him.

Butler is worth a 1st round pick. And the Pats have the leverage to get that compensation for him. Can't imagine Bill Belichick being that nice to anyone, pals or not with SP.

Almost no RFA has ever been worth a first round pick and Malcolm Butler is not one of the very few, especially when the pick is #11. In the end, the Patriots and Saints will proobably be back at their original starting pick positions with Cooks and Butler swapped. Patriots may even need to settle for Saints second round, not that it's a huge difference (what, 11 spots)? I'm sure it has all been worked out by the teams and the Cooks deal was just the first piece of the trade. That only contingency being that the Saints are confident in a long term deal with Butler.

WTF was the point of sticking a first round tender on him if they intend to give him away for a second? To me, that seems nonsensical and flies in the face of Belichick's do what's best for the team mantra.
Its a starting point for negotiations. Nothing more.

My question. Why would New England give up their leverage where they'd get a 1st round pick for any team who signed him? Why would they take LESS?
Two answers to your question :

1 - Most likely no-one will sign him at the cost of a #1.
2 - As we know if could be part of the Cooks deal. Cooks + #2 + #4 for Butler + #1 + #3

I have no idea what his value is. But I do know Bill tends to dump players for seemingly poor value when their contracts are almost up. And with Gilmore to replace Butler, adding Cooks for whatever combination of picks above is really exciting.

Definitely prepare for the worst, though.

Its a starting point for negotiations. Nothing more.
Surely the starting point would be the first round tender? That is unless, the negotiations result in multiple picks coming back for Butler but the implication then becomes the Patriots can be had and will take a different haul to what was asked. I'm not necessarily against it more it doesn't seem to align with Belichick's philosophy.

If the Saints want Butler, I would demand they return our #32 pick and their give up their 2nd round pick (#42) OR 3rd round pick (#76)

Why? Why would the Pats give up anything less than the Saints 1st round pick? If the Saints aren't willing to give that up for a long term deal for him then we'll just keep him at the 1st round tender price. The Pats are in a perfect negotiating spot.

Why? Why would the Pats give up anything less than the Saints 1st round pick? If the Saints aren't willing to give that up for a long term deal for him then we'll just keep him at the 1st round tender price. The Pats are in a perfect negotiating spot.
You're not factoring in that Belichick wants to help his buddy Sean Payton out.

You're not factoring in that Belichick wants to help his buddy Sean Payton out.
It's mutual, Belichick is Payton's buddy. No reason to think one will get a huge advantage, it's just a friendly negotiating environment for the two.

This s
I hope this guy is right :

(Personally I like Deal #1 but would LOVE either).

I would gladly take one or the other but i hate losing butler:( i rather have number 11.

In my mind it all hinges on what arrangements Belichick had made with Payton before the Cooks trade.

For all we know, BB said to Payton "Look, if you and Butler can reach agreement on a contract we'll trade Butler plus our #1 and #3 for Cooks and your #2 and #4." And then perhaps Payton said "Sure! However, we need it done before the 14th because we don't want his bonus on our books."

Time passes and the deadline approaches. It's becoming clear that things aren't far enough along to include Butler in the trade so they do the trade without Butler and without NO's #2 but make it clear with each other that if Butler does work out something NE will trade Butler for the #2 so that the two combined trades equal the original deal.

Now here we are. Sure, BB could go back on the deal with Payton -- he can't be held to it. But that'll make him look like a putz and burn at least one bridge (and when the word gets around it'll probably burn other bridges). I think BB is fundamentally honest. If he and Payton had a handshake agreement on this I expect BB will fulfill the agreement. Now, if you want to argue that Butler + 1 + 3 for Cooks + 2 + 4 isn't a fair/good trade, go ahead and argue that and that's fine. But if BB and Payton agreed to it for whatever reason, I expect BB to hold up his part.

And the other thing to remember is that no first-round-tendered RFA has been signed away in 13 years. So if BB wants draft choices for Butler, BB is going to have to negotiate with someone. Demanding a price no one is willing to pay and not budging is not going to get you what you want. If you actually want it you'll need to come down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back