PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Patriots Giving Butler away for a 2nd Round Pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the thinking that you don't want to lose a player like Butler and only get a 3rd round compensatory pick in return.

I even understand the thinking that if you can get a 2nd round pick in return, then that's better than a late 3rd, and you can find other CBs on the market.

What I don't understand is making that argument in relation to Butler's situation while simultaneously making the decision that your backup quarterback is too valuable to trade for multiple high draft picks.

Why? Why would the Pats give up anything less than the Saints 1st round pick? If the Saints aren't willing to give that up for a long term deal for him then we'll just keep him at the 1st round tender price. The Pats are in a perfect negotiating spot.

I totally agree. And I hope Belichick isnt trying to do any favors for SP.

With as much as the Patriots have invested in building this roster, a year or two of Butler is more valuable than a #32... and the Pats have every right to demand more

That was the discussion and consensus on the NFL network round table.

My question. Why would New England give up their leverage where they'd get a 1st round pick for any team who signed him? Why would they take LESS?

Makes no sense whatsoever. You tell me, a 2nd round pick or a year with Butler (worst case scenario) and even two years if you want to franchise him.

Butler is worth a 1st round pick. And the Pats have the leverage to get that compensation for him. Can't imagine Bill Belichick being that nice to anyone, pals or not with SP.

You're asking the wrong question. Nobody in that roundtable is connected enough to know this.

If the NFL Network roundtable spent 20 minutes discussing something, that doesn't make it true.

I totally agree. And I hope Belichick isnt trying to do any favors for SP.

With as much as the Patriots have invested in building this roster, a year or two of Butler is more valuable than a #32... and the Pats have every right to demand more
But ideally, I want Butler on Pats long term. If they move him, #11 is the asking price. Anything less, I'd rather we keep Butler for a year and let him walk after.

In my mind it all hinges on what arrangements Belichick had made with Payton before the Cooks trade.

For all we know, BB said to Payton "Look, if you and Butler can reach agreement on a contract we'll trade Butler plus our #1 and #3 for Cooks and your #2 and #4." And then perhaps Payton said "Sure! However, we need it done before the 14th because we don't want his bonus on our books."

Time passes and the deadline approaches. It's becoming clear that things aren't far enough along to include Butler in the trade so they do the trade without Butler and without the NO's #2 but make it clear with each other that if Butler does work out something NE will trade Butler for the #2 so that the two combined trades equal the original deal.

Now here we are. Sure, BB could go back on the deal with Payton -- he can't be held to it. But that'll make him look like a putz and burn at least one bridge (and when the word gets around it'll probably burn other bridges). I think BB is fundamentally honest. If he and Payton had a handshake agreement on this I expect BB will fulfill the agreement. Now, if you want to argue that Butler + 1 + 3 for Cooks + 2 + 4 isn't a fair/good trade, go ahead and argue that and that's fine. But if BB and Payton agreed to it for whatever reason, I expect BB to hold up his part.

And the other thing to remember is that no first-round-tendered RFA has been signed away in 13 years. So if BB wants draft choices for Butler, BB is going to have to negotiate with someone. Demanding a price no one is willing to pay and not budging is not going to get you what you want. If you actually want it you'll need to come down.
Hard for the Pats to make a deal to trade a player who isn't signed

WTF was the point of sticking a first round tender on him if they intend to give him away for a second? To me, that seems nonsensical and flies in the face of Belichick's do what's best for the team mantra.

Well here is how it's going down. Butler has a agent who is an ambulance chaser as isn't competent to understand NFL contracts and the CBA.

BB realized there wasn't a deal to be made to Butler and started to move on by putting a first round tender on Butler.

THe talks for Cooks ensued and Butler was originally going to be part of the deal, but Butler hasn't signed the tender offer, There was an agreement for a trade in place not time to complete the deal, they proceeded with part 1 of the deal and now IF Butler's agent can work a deal with the Saints he will sign the tender and BB and Payton will complete the deal they have already agreed to.

BB has known Payton since their days with the Giants. If they had an agreement in place BB isn't going back on it. That is how you do business in the NFL if you screw people and go back on your word no one will deal with you in good faith.

I will wait and see how the deal shakes out.

BB will have do what is best for the team.

Hard for the Pats to make a deal to trade a player who isn't signed
And hard to think that BB would make a blatantly illegal wink, wink deal to deliver extra value on a future trade in exchange for an advantage on an earlier trade. Roger and the NYJFL would seek their pound of flesh in punishment.

I understand the thinking that you don't want to lose a player like Butler and only get a 3rd round compensatory pick in return.

I even understand the thinking that if you can get a 2nd round pick in return, then that's better than a late 3rd, and you can find other CBs on the market.

What I don't understand is making that argument in relation to Butler's situation while simultaneously making the decision that your backup quarterback is too valuable to trade for multiple high draft picks.

Well we won't see a trade of the backup qb if it happens until the draft is here, that gives BB maximum leverage. be patient grasshopper the master is on the case.

I'm honestly tired of reading about MB. I want him back but this is ridiculous.

that seeming contradiction is easily resolved. I do not think Garoppolo will fetch multiple high picks, I think the mediots are mistaking a ''no you can't have him'' asking price for a genuine offer that Belichick expected to make happen, and I do not expect anyone outside the media is even considering pulling the trigger on that kind of deal for Garoppolo

Backup QB is the most important player on the team if your starting QB goes down.

If we let this great CB go for a garbage 2nd round pick, I will absolutely lose it...I want him here where he belongs !!

Gronkowski was a 2nd
Collins was a 2nd
Vollmer was a 2nd
What's not to like?

Butler was undrafted, became a hero after getting coached up by coaches still working in Foxboro.

I survived losing Milloy and Mankins and Seymour and Collins. I've become quite pragmatic about BB's unsentimental approach to player management

There's no nod/wink deal with the Saints. If Butler were to sign an offer sheet with Houston or Pittsburgh, it would blow up the whole thing.

There's no nod/wink deal with the Saints. If Butler were to sign an offer sheet with Houston or Pittsburgh, it would blow up the whole thing.

Which is why the trade that did execute was one both sides could live with even if Butler could never be included. But that doesn't mean there's no second half coming if Butler and NO reach mutually-acceptable terms.

A 2nd this year and a first next year? I might be ok with that

We can likely assume that there's no way in hell that the Patriots are going to pay 16m for the franchise tag for a CB when McCourty has a 12m dollar cap hit and they just signed Gilmore to a 13m AAV pact.

It's really just about having him this year and then getting a 3rd round comp pick for 2019, vs. trading him now for a 1st (or 2nd + additional pick) and having the ability to utilize that in 2017.

I think the pats,would be happy to get a 2nd for him. As to why they woukd accept it? Because that's all they could get, possibly.

New orleans isnt signing him to a hig dollar deal for the 11th pick. The 11th pick will be both far better and far cheaper than butler.

I think ne would take a 2nd. The player in the 2nd is most likely both cheaper and better than butler.

Homers here think butler is a top cb. Real world he's notveven close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe