PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another reason why Sportstalk Radio has descended to the cesspool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I listen to on the radio other than music is Stern. He’s such a great interviewer. I used to listen to NPR but I’ve replaced that with podcasts and wine.

I enjoyed the old Sports Huddle during the early 70's. They actually found the Patriots kicker (John Smith) by sponsoring a kicking competition with soccer players.

There was some show on Sunday nights in the 60's on a small station that was hardcore sports talk. At the time a real fan thirsted for intelligent sports talk, making the product much better. The problem was the market was too small.

Agree with some posters above, being born in 1958 and growing up as the Sox and Bruins took off lates 60s, and of course the Celtics, the Boston Globe Sports Page was amazing. You got it, made an omelet or the such, and read the thing cover to cover. Remember there was no internet, 3 Network TV stations, and on the whole the writing and commentating was extraordinary.

Living away from Boston, and trying at time to get a local flavor, is very challenging. Sue me I like Merloni, maybe cause he was a scrub that grew up in Boston, and Ordway seems to have really improved since growing up and dealing with his addictions ( no judgement, I am recovering also)

Why anyone would listen to Felger, or Masserotti, or Tomase? I have no idea.

And remember, my generation had the original Troll of Trolls, CHB AKA Shank.

I enjoyed the old Sports Huddle during the early 70's. They actually found the Patriots kicker (John Smith) by sponsoring a kicking competition with soccer players.

There was some show on Sunday nights in the 60's on a small station that was hardcore sports talk. At the time a real fan thirsted for intelligent sports talk, making the product much better. The problem was the market was too small.
That was Eil Schleifer, on WUNR maybe? Small station, great sports talk, he always hung out at the bar at Daisys

Yup. SuperFoot.

Merloni has changed. Liked him so much better when he just talked baseball.

I have no patience for Fauria.

Big O.....meh.

I only listen from NJ sporadically, how has Merloni changed? When I hear him he seems like a straight shooter. I hated Ordway back in the days when he was with all those screaming loudmouths, but it feels now he is just grateful to be sober and have a job.

I don't get it either. The most I'll do is tune in to NFL Radio on Sirius XM but I don't stay there for more than a couple of minutes. You can get everything you need about whatever team you follow online.
Well they DO have one positive function for me. If you are laying around basically doing nothing, after 5 minutes of listening to their vitriol; it gets riled up enough to get you out of my stupor, shut off the show, and do something productive. ;)

BTW- When I read KVN's response to their unprovoked attack, I thought it was great that he invited them to his charity function. But my first thought when I read that, was "I hope to got he makes them pay for their tickets".

The only thing I listen to on the radio other than music is Stern. He’s such a great interviewer. I used to listen to NPR but I’ve replaced that with podcasts and wine.

Stern is the most underrated interviewer on the planet in that nobody seems to put him in the category of best interviewers even though he is THE best. He also has an advantage though in that:

1. He's uncensored.

2. He can interview a guest as long as he needs to.

To be fair, Van Noy really does come off as a douche bag.

Felger is referring to post-game lockeroom interviews they've aired of him on the Pats NBCSB post-game show.

I only listen from NJ sporadically, how has Merloni changed? When I hear him he seems like a straight shooter. I hated Ordway back in the days when he was with all those screaming loudmouths, but it feels now he is just grateful to be sober and have a job.
I think he whines too much now. Goes on the drama rants. I know its his job but I found when he was guest host or on the Baseball Show he was worth while to listen too.

I am not sure why, but Boston radio and papers are so full of negativity that I hardly listen/read anymore. Somewhere the idea that football or all sports for that matter are for entertainment not some monumental endeavor. The enjoyment of the sport is lost to them, they see fans as idiots who should follow the venom they spew instead of the enjoyment the sport should bring. For me it is mostly phuk them all and the stupid horse they rode in on!
"...they see fans as idiots..." is as true and accurate as one can get. That's exactly how the vast majority of NE sports news reporters and media members honestly see us all . The contempt they have almost literally drips off their lips.

I am not sure why, but Boston radio and papers are so full of negativity that I hardly listen/read anymore. Somewhere the idea that football or all sports for that matter are for entertainment not some monumental endeavor. The enjoyment of the sport is lost to them, they see fans as idiots who should follow the venom they spew instead of the enjoyment the sport should bring. For me it is mostly phuk them all and the stupid horse they rode in on!

Most people are idiots. That includes sports fans and media members.

As far as the media goes, though, one can just look at what drives ratings. Felger/Mazz has been #1 for years, and it's nothing but contrived malice towards to local teams, combined with cynical manipulation of the listeners. So, while you me be offended by the truth, the sad truth is that they are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes