PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another reason why Sportstalk Radio has descended to the cesspool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are just a tad older than me, it seems. The best times sports media ever gave me, in my entire life, was the Sunday Globe sports section in the 80's and early 90's. The stuff we get on an hourly basis now piled up all week and was shared in the huge columns of Gammons et al. I lived happily during the week with only news of scores, injuries, and exceptional games by an individual. Then happiness on Sunday morning.

Perhaps this is a sentimental lens on all that, but I think the impact that sports (played by others) on my life back then was better than it is now.
To be clear, I was born in 1971. I did a paper in college on how media has evolved over the years and read some of Egan and Pepe's work. That was in 1992 :p.

At one point in time, The Boston Globe sports section was the best in the country. Gammons's Diamond Notes, Willie McD on football, Kevin Paul Dupont on NHL and Bob Ryan/Jackie Mac on the NBA was MUST read every sunday. Hell I even read Borges's boxing notes. He was very good 30 years ago.

Now it is trash

I'm a bit of a youngster here (26), honestly curious, was radio ever good?

All of it sucks. Where is the quality analysis? The breakdowns? Instead, turn on NFL Network in the morning and you get a few hours of fluff, bad jokes, and gripping segments like "Which movie represents X team?" or "Which song describes X player's career." Then, of course, comes the 30 minute clip show debating who had the best TD celebration.

I can't remember the last time I listened to local sports radio. I literally hate 90% of the shows and the personalities that host them. I'm old enough to remember when sports radio actually talked about sports. About players abilities, statistics, performance, potential trades, lineups, history, etc. Now it seems like the hosts talk more about national enquirer type propoganda, rumor, and inuendo. It's TMZ meets Entertainment Tonight. Worse, is that the hosts are all wannabe shock jocks who want to be the show. A bunch of fat, balding, nerdy, never played a sport in their life metrosexuals tough talking about how inferior a professional athlete is. I can't listen to any of them, and I don't. SiriusXM has saved my driving life and my sanity. I listen to the network stations for MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. and to FantasyXM. It's 1,000x better than the crap on local radio.

Felger and Mazz.....:eek:

My buddy listens to them every day and when he txts our group it's pretty much what they say. He's a fan boy and I make fun of him for it.

Not sure anyone could be fans of theirs but..yeah

Legitimately would not have known about this hawt taek if it hadn't been posted here. Not only do you guys listen to trolls on the radio that piss you off up there, but you make sure everyone else sees it, clicks on it, listens to it, and gives them further exposure. That's always made zero sense to me.
all true lol

the only show worth listing to. is 2 to 6 weei. that's it. the rest of it is verbal diarrhea.

It probably wasn't worth his time to respond, but great response.
It wasn't.

I don't take those a-holes seriously so it's no skin off my nose but when they start picking on people and the victim retaliates I love the vision it creates

Scene: Local bar. Mazz and Felger having a beer. KVN walks in.

KVN: "Hey guys, how are you?" (puts one hand on each turd)
Turds: "Good, how are you?"
KVN: "Great! Lemme ask ya, do we have a problem?"
Turds: <piss & poop on floor>

All of it sucks. Where is the quality analysis? The breakdowns? Instead, turn on NFL Network in the morning and you get a few hours of fluff, bad jokes, and gripping segments like "Which movie represents X team?" or "Which song describes X player's career." Then, of course, comes the 30 minute clip show debating who had the best TD celebration.

I know, right??

When NFL Network was announced years ago I thought it would be great -- with all that time to fill they'd have able to have analysis, breakdowns, etc., even if primetime was used for lowest common denominator crap.

How wrong I was.

I am not sure why, but Boston radio and papers are so full of negativity that I hardly listen/read anymore. Somewhere the idea that football or all sports for that matter are for entertainment not some monumental endeavor. The enjoyment of the sport is lost to them, they see fans as idiots who should follow the venom they spew instead of the enjoyment the sport should bring. For me it is mostly phuk them all and the stupid horse they rode in on!

Legitimately would not have known about this hawt taek if it hadn't been posted here. Not only do you guys listen to trolls on the radio that piss you off up there, but you make sure everyone else sees it, clicks on it, listens to it, and gives them further exposure. That's always made zero sense to me.
Exactly. Sports mediots discovered it is far, far better to have everyone talking about how stupid you are than not talking about you at all. This creates a situation where stupidity is rewarded, thereby encouraging further stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes