PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another move in the making? (speculation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't think the Pats could get the cap room even if Mankins resigned and Bodden was cut. I guess they could give extensions to Welker and Mayo and cut Sanders and Kazcur. But that is a lot of work to do before next Friday when all teams have to be under the cap.

While I agree, BB has had a very long time to think about what to do once FA started this year. Almost makes you want to skip straight to the end of July every year!

Personally, I don't think the Pats could get the cap room even if Mankins resigned and Bodden was cut. I guess they could give extensions to Welker and Mayo and cut Sanders and Kazcur. But that is a lot of work to do before next Friday when all teams have to be under the cap.
As brilliant as it's been reading capology work from all and sundry I'm giving up using them as references when it comes to NFL teams and watching the beauty of free agency and trades set themselves.

In league circles, there is speculation that Belichick is making one last Super Bowl run before retiring.

:rofl:

This was my favorite part. Sound more like the other 31 teams :)scared::help:) wishing the big, scary Patriots would go away and leave them alone.

:nono:

Now everybody line-up:

:beatingcoming:

:rofl:

This was my favorite part. Sound more like the other 31 teams :)scared::help:) wishing the big, scary Patriots would go away and leave them alone.

:nono:

Now everybody line-up:

:beatingcoming:

And then there was Mike Lombardi, who basically argued that the Mallett pick would single-handedly assure that BB stays in the NFL for at least another decade. :beatingcoming:

Would anyone else be happy with just signing Mankins long-term? I really think he is a vital piece to the Patriots success for the next 4-5 years.

Love this quote "He's an animal". Classic! BB the Animal! Love it. :rocker:

Would anyone else be happy with just signing Mankins long-term? I really think he is a vital piece to the Patriots success for the next 4-5 years.

Get Mankins done long term (no big hurry, they have a week if they need the cap space, longer if they don't). Get Light signed short term and anything else is a cherry on top.

He got two players, one troubled but good, one a knucklehead but still talented...

Wait, so, is Ochocinco troubled but good and Haynseworth the knucklehead? Or the other way around?

After the Ocho trade yesterday, LaCanfora was also guessing aloud about another move, and he also brought up Umeniyora. I got the feeling he had heard something.

I think Kazcur gets cut as soon as light is signed. Mankins gets his long term deal. I'd also question Crumpler now we have Lee Smith?

The next one has to be an OLB surely? Roth?

agree to deal with Light
extend Mankins long term
sign Roth as F/A

That is my hope for the balance of free agency.

After the Ocho trade yesterday, LaCanfora was also guessing aloud about another move, and he also brought up Umeniyora. I got the feeling he had heard something.

Eventhough I brought Osi into the picture, I don't know if he is realistic because he wants top DE money and moving to OLB would downgrade his max he could make. 4-3 DEs make more than 3-4 OLB unless the Pats are willing to set the market for him.

Granted the Pats might be willing to trade for Umenyiora for an one year rental. Word is the Giants want a second for him. That is what the Jets gave up for Cromartie and Cromartie is not an impact player like Umenyiora.

Would he be willing to playout his last year for the Patsand be the biggest prize in free agency next year? The question is whether his hold out is more about the Giants lying to him or that he will not play for anyone without a new deal?

Eventhough I brought Osi into the picture, I don't know if he is realistic because he wants top DE money and moving to OLB would downgrade his max he could make. 4-3 DEs make more than 3-4 OLB unless the Pats are willing to set the market for him.

Granted the Pats might be willing to trade for Umenyiora for an one year rental. Word is the Giants want a second for him. That is what the Jets gave up for Cromartie and Cromartie is not an impact player like Umenyiora.

Would he be willing to playout his last year for the Patsand be the biggest prize in free agency next year? The question is whether his hold out is more about the Giants lying to him or that he will not play for anyone without a new deal?

In talking to a Cowboys fan, he said that he can rush the passer real well, but he's really a one-trick pony. He doesn't defend the run well. A second-rounder would obviously be waaay to steep.

Value! Value!

On Mike and Mike, Bob Ryan was asked about the chances of Moss coming back to the patriots and he said "let me put it this way, no bridges were burned by either end". Talking about last season when moss was traded.

what would that be like?

Moss
Welker
Branch
Chad

Crazy.

In talking to a Cowboys fan, he said that he can rush the passer real well, but he's really a one-trick pony. He doesn't defend the run well. A second-rounder would obviously be waaay to steep.

Value! Value!

I don't know. He is an elite pass rusher in a passing league. I think a second isn't too steep for him. I think what he is looking for in a contract is though. He did have 11.5 sacks and 10 forced fumbles last year even with the Giants making him Kiwanuka's back up the first quarter of the season. That kind of production is worth a second round pick. That is the thing about Umenyiora. Not only does he pressure the QB, he knows how to strip the ball which is huge. In the last five years, he has had four with 4 or more forced fumbles. The only one he didn't was the season he was injured.

Last edited:

Value! Value!
Clay Matthews is fairly average against the run too. Provided a Patriots friendly contract is on the table Osi Umenyiora at his best is far greater than a 2nd round pick.

Last edited:
"On @SportsCenter at 9a et. @Adamshefter @MikeReiss from espnboston.com on the #patriots joins us. Maybe some surprises 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes