PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anonymous Sources: Mac is Impressing in Offseason

When has BOB listened to Mac in the past? BOB said they barely met.
They spent time discussing Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama at the end of Jones’ last year, just after BOB was hired.

He won 10 games as a rookie without an exceptional supporting cast so i'm not sure that's true
Out of those 10 wins 2 were vs the dumpster fire Jets which wont be a gimme win this season. Another big win vs the Browns without Mayfield and the 4th win vs the Jags who fired Urban Meyer.

In summary

NE 25 @ NYJ 6
NYJ 13 @ NE 54
CLE 7 @ NE 45
JAX 10 @ NE 50

Corked Bat padded his number to the tune of 12 TDs and 0 INTs vs these 4 crummy teams.

Dude, we aren’t talking about Bill. We’re talking about Mac.

Mac can be a good NFL QB. How good? We’ll see.

Should Bill have snagged a No. 1 WR? Ya betcha. I thought he would draft one in the first round.

We agree on O’Brien. But many people seem to underestimate how harmful it is to have a rudderless ship on offense given the composition of this team. It had a huge effect on much of the offense and their performance on the field demonstrated it.
The post hinted slightly at something positive for the patriots potentially happening. Therefore he was required to not only criticize the point, and the player in question but everything patriot.

It's such a unique thing with a QB like Mac, he won the starting job, came in played well for a rookie. Then last season it all went downhill by no fault of his own. Mahomes is naturally gifted and as he mentioned his baseball background helped his football gifts.
As far as Burrow love him.. but give Mac his 3 WRs and he'll put up numbers too.

I guess that's why it's said each season have to prove yourself all over again!
This is wrong. Others certainly own some if not much of the blame, but to say none of the fault was Mac's is flat out wrong.

see lion swimming GIF

Me, swimming in Lake Negativity

C'mon in, the water's fine.

see lion swimming GIF

Me, swimming in Lake Negativity

C'mon in, the water's fine.
That's actually a much brighter, exponentially more positive photo than anything that one note craphat brings to the table, Steve. Great name, Steve, my brother is a Steve.

This is wrong. Others certainly own some if not much of the blame, but to say none of the fault was Mac's is flat out wrong.
Did Mac ask MP and JJ to coach him?
I think your misinterpreting what I'm saying. The whole dysfunction on offense is what I'm referring to was not done by Mac. His reactions could have been better of course.. however I'd urge you to read the herald reports if you hadn't as JJ was the primary issue.

I don't care about anonymous sources. When I see Mac recognize a blitz overload or even looking for one, I will feel better.
Delayed/second level pressure has been an issues since day 1.
When I see him throw a 10 yard check down that is not at the feet of the receiver, I will feel better. When I see him recognize the one on one and release the ball on time, I will feel better. When I see him step up in the pocket instead of running out the back, I will feel better.
Pocket presence has been up & down. Mostly leaning good but he has several plays a game that make it a lot more difficult on the offense on those particular drives. Decision making to a lesser extent. Mechanics have been a work in progress so hopefully he's clicking there.
I do want him to be successful. I'm a Patriot fan and I want the team to be successful. But anonymous sources aren't going to mean anything.
Big season coming up.

Upgrades at TE & WR. Top 50 pick in TT. OB > Patricia. This is a judgement year on Mac.

5 NEP that need to answer questions ....

1) Mac Jones - obviously obvious here. Can Mac elevate an above average target corp with OB holding his hand? Year 3 for a top 15 pick so it's ok to want to see something special before decisions are made.

2)Barmore - One of the few guys we have with top tier potential at his position. Barmore has top 5 - 8 potential. And the size, movements and athleticism you need to make it happen. Will he make it happen?

3)Tyquan Thornton - was a top 50 pick we traded up for. Unique skill set that this offense desperately needs. This offense needs a true deep threat in the worst way and Tyquan could be that guy. We don't need him to be the most nuanced rr or versatile WR. We need him to be a top 5 - 10 deep threat avg over 16 per rec.

4)Strange - 1st RD on a G isn't the worst use of assets in the draft but they have to hit. Not just work out and be serviceable. Especially after drafting all the IOL we have recently. He needs to hit.

5)whoever is playing LT/RT. Might not be fair but just make it happen. Our IOL should be one of the better units in the league if healthy so needless to say all eyes will be on both tackle spots all year.

Mac is the best quarterback in franchise history. That he is being impressive at any point in time is not news. That his virgin haters, who are overwhelmed with jealousy and envy of his success and hot girlfriend, are triggered by his greatness is also not news. These are two things you can expect to get used to over the next two decades as he bends the rest of the league over his knee.
I’ll have what he’s having.

Everybody is confident while wearing shorts and tshirts. These headlines are regurgitated year, after year, after year. This is the all important 3rd year, sorry he got shafted by management on his second. Nevertheless, go prove it on the field. No more ra ra bs.

BOB may not be a great OC but my impression of him is he is a very demanding OC and I’m sure he will be pushing MAC extremely hard this off-season. So at the end of the season we all will know if he is our QB moving forward.

Did Mac ask MP and JJ to coach him?
I think your misinterpreting what I'm saying. The whole dysfunction on offense is what I'm referring to was not done by Mac. His reactions could have been better of course.. however I'd urge you to read the herald reports if you hadn't as JJ was the primary issue.
Mac is a professional football player. While I usually believe every single thing written in a newspaper, I am sorry. Mac sucked for much of last year. To say it is all on the coaches is simply wrong.

Out of those 10 wins 2 were vs the dumpster fire Jets which wont be a gimme win this season. Another big win vs the Browns without Mayfield and the 4th win vs the Jags who fired Urban Meyer.

In summary

NE 25 @ NYJ 6
NYJ 13 @ NE 54
CLE 7 @ NE 45
JAX 10 @ NE 50

Corked Bat padded his number to the tune of 12 TDs and 0 INTs vs these 4 crummy teams.

Damien Harris’ fumble in week 1, winning in Los Angeles with his best deep pass of the year, narrowly losing to the Cowboys in OT, and narrowly losing to the Bucs..and I dare say out playing Brady. Then in 2022: Dugger being held on during a KOR TD in Minnesota , Meyers lateral in Vegas, Stevensons’ fumble against the Bengals, giving up two KR’s for TDs in Buffalo.

Two can play that game. Your record is what your record is.

In summary

NE 25 @ NYJ 6
NYJ 13 @ NE 54
CLE 7 @ NE 45
JAX 10 @ NE 50

A rookie QB played better vs poor teams than the good ones? Regardless of how bad those teams were at that point, he still played solid, as a rookie. Context my man. Who cares though? This argument is getting old. I just want the Pats to win a lot of football games. What would be even more exciting is a ball control offense with a smash you in the mouth defense. I don’t care how we rack up yards and score, just as long as we do. Mac/Zappe/Cunningham/someone we are not aware of yet can have mediocre stats all year but if they’re not turning the ball over, getting 3rd down conversions and able to make some 4th qtr comebacks, that’s all I really care about. This season is definitely Macs last season to have a chance to be that guy. Can’t wait for it to be over so we can all either be stoked because of how well he played, or resigned to the fact that he never panned out.

Delayed/second level pressure has been an issues since day 1.

Pocket presence has been up & down. Mostly leaning good but he has several plays a game that make it a lot more difficult on the offense on those particular drives. Decision making to a lesser extent. Mechanics have been a work in progress so hopefully he's clicking there.

Big season coming up.

Upgrades at TE & WR. Top 50 pick in TT. OB > Patricia. This is a judgement year on Mac.

5 NEP that need to answer questions ....

1) Mac Jones - obviously obvious here. Can Mac elevate an above average target corp with OB holding his hand? Year 3 for a top 15 pick so it's ok to want to see something special before decisions are made.

2)Barmore - One of the few guys we have with top tier potential at his position. Barmore has top 5 - 8 potential. And the size, movements and athleticism you need to make it happen. Will he make it happen?

3)Tyquan Thornton - was a top 50 pick we traded up for. Unique skill set that this offense desperately needs. This offense needs a true deep threat in the worst way and Tyquan could be that guy. We don't need him to be the most nuanced rr or versatile WR. We need him to be a top 5 - 10 deep threat avg over 16 per rec.

4)Strange - 1st RD on a G isn't the worst use of assets in the draft but they have to hit. Not just work out and be serviceable. Especially after drafting all the IOL we have recently. He needs to hit.

5)whoever is playing LT/RT. Might not be fair but just make it happen. Our IOL should be one of the better units in the league if healthy so needless to say all eyes will be on both tackle spots all year.
I think this year is a big year for Uche as well. Last year he came on real strong as the season progressed. If he doesn’t maintain or continue to build off of that, doubt he gets a solid second contract offer. Think Bill would trade him or just let him hit FA and hope for comp pick? I’d be stoked if he came out of the gate a more well rounded player.

We agree on O’Brien. But many people seem to underestimate how harmful it is to have a rudderless ship on offense given the composition of this team. It had a huge effect on much of the offense and their performance on the field demonstrated it.
A rudderless ship?? Was Belichick the head coach in 2022? He's either a genius and the GOAT HC or he's not. If the offense had no direction last season, and was sent a drift to nowhere, then Belichick is FAR LESS than what the IBWTers want everyone to believe. ALSO, Mac Jones must NOT be a strong leader. I know he whined and cried like a baby (literally), threw tantrums on the sideline, and complained to individuals outside of the organization. The offense was "rudderless." So where was the QB leadership? Hello, anyone?

all the people saying "we heard this last year!" ignoring the elephant in the room that was patricia/judge. We didn't have a functioning NFL caliber offense. But it doesnt fit their narrative. People care more about their narratives being right than the patriots being good sometimes.

well he has an ACTUAL offensive coordinator now. So he should be better.
Ignoring?? Mac's defenders won't shut up about it. Where were you people when Patricia was hired? I said Patricia would be a disaster, I mean who couldn't see that coming. But I recall a lot of IBWT-isms and wait and see attitudes about Patricia. Only after it blew up in the team's face and Mac performed poorly was Patricia universally considered a huge mistake. Patricia became the scapegoat for the Mac apologists who are giving Mac a complete free pass for his garbage play last season. Somehow too BB gets to keep his GOATness despite being THE individual responsible for completely ****ing up an entire season.

This report is positive. I think if we didn’t have the disaster that was Matt Patricia last year, the local and national view of Jones would be far different today. I think Jones will show people this year that the Patricia mistake was far worse than a lot of people are willing to give credit to.
I think some people are denial of how bad Patricia really was. You could see it last year when they dismissed some experts who pointed out how truly awful the offense system and play calling really was.
Last year’s offense in terms of design and play calling was easily the worst I have seen in my lifetime.
More Patricia scapegoating. Again, where was the GOAT head coach? I though he would be playing a much bigger role in the offense? Even supposedly taking over the play-calling at some point. WTF happened!??

And again, any accountability for professional athletes? No? Patricia sucks so just collapse into a fetal position. Basically the same crew coming back in 2023, time for some players - like the friggin quarterback for example - to pull up their bootstraps.

Mac is a professional football player. While I usually believe every single thing written in a newspaper, I am sorry. Mac sucked for much of last year. To say it is all on the coaches is simply wrong.
Two lingering questions that involve Mac and how BB perceives him....
1) Why did BB taylor the 50/50 jump ball passing attack for Mac
2) Why did BB approve offensive game plans that minimized 'play action' when Mac was under center

I think this year is a big year for Uche as well. Last year he came on real strong as the season progressed. If he doesn’t maintain or continue to build off of that, doubt he gets a solid second contract offer. Think Bill would trade him or just let him hit FA and hope for comp pick? I’d be stoked if he came out of the gate a more well rounded player.
I was actually going to put him on. I think he's done enough to show he's an impact player when used right. It's just on Bill to keep his snaps up imo but he was close. Our tackle spots are crucial though

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back