PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anonymous Sources: Mac is Impressing in Offseason

Not failure. Just accountability. It is what it is unless you're an IBWTer and it's Bill Belichick... than all objectivity is out the window.
There are zero posters on this board that don’t include the negatives with the positives of belichicks tenure here. There are many who want to diminish the credit he gets for the positives. Pro Belichick posters are the only objective ones, because objectively he has accomplished more with this team than any man ever has with any team.

Your record is what it is until you face a real team in the post season.
Funny how you think that comment is a sleight on the coach who has the most post season success of any in history.

WTF I'm beginning to think you are as much fool as knave.

I was responding only to your ridiculous claim that Allen didn't suck his first two years. He did.
Why are you responding to a post directed at @holyredeemer? He said "Allen looked awful for a few season." That's why I responded to him with what I said. You jumped into the conversation midway through and call me a fool for addressing a specific comment made by someone else.

So what's your point again? Allen sucked in 2019?

10-6 record
20 TDs
9 INTs
85.3 passer rating
510 rushing yards
9 rushing TDs
4 comeback wins (1st in NFL)
5 game-winning drives (1st in NFL)

You're telling me that "sucks"?

Why are you responding to a post directed at @holyredeemer? He said "Allen looked awful for a few season." That's why I responded to him with what I said. You jumped into the conversation midway through and call me a fool for addressing a specific comment made by someone else.

10-6 record
20 TDs
9 INTs
85.3 passer rating
510 rushing yards
9 rushing TDs

Why are you getting so worked up over a mediocre-at-best QB?

If one were to put two and two together, we could draw the following conclusion: since Josh Allen's demeanor is that of a male who is not into women - and in fact, he has publicly stated that he finds women to be "icky" - and since you are defending him as if your life depended on it, then we could surmise that he has crossed your goal line on numerous occasions.

If that is indeed the case, then I could see why you would be upset about us speaking the truth. The truth hurts, because Josh Allen has accomplished absolutely nothing in his career. I am sure he is a nice guy off the field, but he simply does not have the heart for this sport - kind of like Damar Hamlin.

Last edited:
We heard this last offseason with the buzz words being "more zip on the ball", especially from Lazar. Mac looked horrible from the start of preseason. We will know more when he takes the field in the preseason.

I don't like Mac's supporting cast and the O-line is the worst in Bill's tenure along with the 2000 and 2019 line. It's going to be tough to imagine Mac will be better this year because of this. No QB in the NFL can elevate a poor supporting cast AND a bad O-line.

And why would Coaches and players want to be anonymous saying something positive about Mac?
Are you KIDDING, the "worst"? Tell me, how can an offensive line be the "worst" when they haven't played a SNAP. Is this a "worse" OL than what it looked like in 2001 when the OL started a 2nd round rookie at LT (Light) a JAG LG (Compton) a C who turned out to be a good G for other teams (Woody) another JAG at RG (Andruzzi) and a RT who was so good he was out of the league 2 years later (Randle)

You want to honestly tell me that in May of 2001 you would tell me that THAT OL was shaping up to be better than the one we have now? Where do you guys come up with your posts. NONE of us know how this OL will come together. I COULD be horrible, but it just as easily be pretty good.

We are starting with 2 very good pieces in Andrews and Owenu. Strange is very talented but was inconsistent his Rookie year. (Just like Light was) Brown has shown he CAN be a very good OT when he wants, and it wouldn't be too hard to find a RT who can be better than Randell out of the myriad of guys who will be fight it out in camp.

The 2001 team won a superbowl with a solid D, a questionable OL, and a game manager QB and a LOT of no-name receivers. Sound familiar anyone?

Now I don't expect this version of the Pats to be in the superbow, BUT, I repeat, the "worst"?

You realize Belichick put Patricia in that position? That's my point. The unmitigated disaster was Belichick's management of the team.

You blame Belichick more than Patricia for Belichick hiring Patricia? Really stepping out on a limb there.

Yeah, that's way too small a piece of the blame pie for Mac. Pretty sure there were reports Judge was told to **** off by October. The receivers, the linemen... anyone else you want to blame? Mac's the QB, right? It's the most important position in the entire game so when I'm pointing out individual players to be held accountable for the offensive struggles then I'm point to Mac first. Mac was 28th in TD% and 23rd in INT%. Every QB in the NFL with 12 or more starts had at least 1 game-winning drive except for Mac (who apparently is allergic to GWDs). In fact 39 quarterbacks had at least 1 GWD last season.

So you attack me for not blaming Belichick for Patricia and the next sentence attack me for blaming Belichick for Patricia. You are one strange dude.

And yes, I do think it is clear that Belichick and Patricia were clearly more to blame than Jones. That is hardly debatable. And considering that Trent Brown decided to stop blocking last year and the RT position was a disaster making Jones have to hurry his throw and being on the run is clearly worse than Jones in my book. And the receivers ran bad routes and never looked back on timing patterns. That was a big issue. Granted that went back to coach too.

Mac is a professional football player. While I usually believe every single thing written in a newspaper, I am sorry. Mac sucked for much of last year. To say it is all on the coaches is simply wrong.
Oh no I get what you're saying absolutely Mac has some accountability for his reactions as well. However I mentioned the herald reports on the issues wich was provided to the herald reporters by patriots people in the organization as well as other staff members. Saying that how bade judge was and he was primarily the issue for Mac. So Mac's frustration boiled over and yes he could have handled that part much better. However everything else was on BB.

Laughable how you are trying to create revisionist history because of what you know now.

It took me all of two seconds to plug "bust" and "Josh Allen" into the search engine and find an avalanche of takes about his first two years.

Proving yet again you're a negative Nancy anti-BB troll who can't even be honest about other teams while trying to tear down ours.
You literally said "everyone" considered Allen a bust after season two. I'll plug "Mac Jones" and "elite QB" into a search engine and get requisite takes on Mac Jones. They'll be as wrong as the "avalanche" of imbeciles declaring a massively talented football player like Allen a bust after two seasons. It's sort of like you saying Lamar Jackson is a bum because he's 1-3 in the postseason at age 26.

Ask Geno Smith... he's been a bust for nearly a decade.
Geno was a 2nd round pick so the expectations were lower. Maybe the league gave up on Geno too soon? He only had 4 NFL starts from 2015 to 2021. Since his first two poor seasons, he's got 39 TDs and 14 INTs, and he can run a little bit. Plus he walked into an outstanding WR duo with Metcalf and Lockett. We'll see what Geno brings to the table next season now that he's definitely The Guy in Seattle. Pete Carroll did him a huge solid drafting Jaxon Smith-Njigba in the 1st round too.

Tom took some time to develop as well, the team around him was better and better coached, so they won despite him being a game manager.

It's not coincidence the five highest interception percentages of his career came in his first five years as a starter.

He threw one TD in the entire 2001 postseason... don't argue something you obviously barely remember.
Were you at the snow bowl? I was. I remember 2001 quite well. The team would have sucked again with Bledsoe at quarterback. Brady changed the entire trajectory of the franchise (and of Bill Belichick's head coaching career... he should be kissing Brady's rings - all 7 - at halftime on September 10).

There are zero posters on this board that don’t include the negatives with the positives of belichicks tenure here. There are many who want to diminish the credit he gets for the positives. Pro Belichick posters are the only objective ones, because objectively he has accomplished more with Brady than any man ever has with any quarterback.
I corrected it for you...

You realize Belichick put Patricia in that position? That's my point. The unmitigated disaster was Belichick's management of the team.
NO ONE is denying that the entire blame for what happened on offense last season waw BELICHICK'a responsibility....even Bill. Yet you continue to hammer this line like it was "breaking news" in virtually EVERY post.

Don't you get tired writing the same post 20 times a thread?

all the people saying "we heard this last year!" ignoring the elephant in the room that was patricia/judge. We didn't have a functioning NFL caliber offense. But it doesnt fit their narrative. People care more about their narratives being right than the patriots being good sometimes.

well he has an ACTUAL offensive coordinator now. So he should be better.

Yes indeed he should... Because he can't be any worse... I hope.

But if he continues to have little/no confidence in his OL - and not without justification either, then it won't matter all that much... Once bitten twice (gun)shy.

And yes, I do think it is clear that Belichick and Patricia were clearly more to blame than Jones. That is hardly debatable. And considering that Trent Brown decided to stop blocking last year and the RT position was a disaster making Jones have to hurry his throw and being on the run is clearly worse than Jones in my book. And the receivers ran bad routes and never looked back on timing patterns. That was a big issue. Granted that went back to coach too.
Sounds like Belichick should have drafted offense as opposed to stacking up defenders for Stephen and exhausting multiple picks on the 3rd phase (ST). I suppose O'Brien had better be a miracle worker.

The 2001 team won a superbowl with a solid D, a questionable OL, and a game manager QB and a LOT of no-name receivers. Sound familiar anyone?
The game was a lot different 22 years ago.

10-6 record
20 TDs
9 INTs
85.3 passer rating
510 rushing yards
9 rushing TDs

"In 2019 he improved to 28th in passing DVOA and fell to 17th in QB rushing DVOA." Yep he sucked almost as bad as Mac did last year.

The defense carried the 2019 Buffalo team; they were 7th in DVOA. The offense was 21st. Allen was along for the ride.

Tom took some time to develop as well, the team around him was better and better coached, so they won despite him being a game manager.

It's not coincidence the five highest interception percentages of his career came in his first five years as a starter.

He threw one TD in the entire 2001 postseason... don't argue something you obviously barely remember.
You have to be fair here though, his game managing years were pretty exxagerated. The team he walked into was 5-13 until he stepped on the field, belichick thought he was getting fired. The team immediately went 11-3 and won a Super Bowl, did he dominate? No, did he bring something massively valuable to the team? Yes

But as the years went by, the game manager tag was misrepresented, he led the league in TDs in 02 and was elite by 03, as he was runner up MVP and also received votes in 05.

Attachments

• 4A8F481A-831B-40F4-9B5A-5DA0B74636FC.png
    4A8F481A-831B-40F4-9B5A-5DA0B74636FC.png
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 2FCDC6EB-3036-45F0-93E7-FD3B856BB985.png
    2FCDC6EB-3036-45F0-93E7-FD3B856BB985.png
    612.5 KB · Views: 1
You literally said "everyone" considered Allen a bust after season two. I'll plug "Mac Jones" and "elite QB" into a search engine and get requisite takes on Mac Jones. They'll be as wrong as the "avalanche" of imbeciles declaring a massively talented football player like Allen a bust after two seasons. It's sort of like you saying Lamar Jackson is a bum because he's 1-3 in the postseason at age 26.
Because everyone except the Bill’s coaches did consider him a bust… that’s why an avalanche of articles about him being a bust after year two exist… not because of some far reaching conspiracy by Wozzy to load internet search engines with falsehoods. Good grief.

Lamar Jackson's playoff stats: 4 games, 1-3 record, 55% passing, 3 TD's/5 INT's, 68 QB Rating, 5 Fumbles.

Lamar has been the single worst player on either team in just about every playoff game he has ever played in… that’s who he is, I didn’t call him “a bum,” I said he was a poor passer against superior defenses, something I said about him before he was drafted so results merely confirm what I already suspected. Facts suck for LJ Truthers.
Geno was a 2nd round pick so the expectations were lower. Maybe the league gave up on Geno too soon? He only had 4 NFL starts from 2015 to 2021. Since his first two poor seasons, he's got 39 TDs and 14 INTs, and he can run a little bit. Plus he walked into an outstanding WR duo with Metcalf and Lockett. We'll see what Geno brings to the table next season now that he's definitely The Guy in Seattle. Pete Carroll did him a huge solid drafting Jaxon Smith-Njigba in the 1st round too.
Geno went to a team that didn’t know or understand offensive coaching and threw him to the wolves. Kurt Warner bounced around the Arena League after college, but sure… tell us how Mac and Zappe suck after a couple of years and have no hope of developing. I can find a hundred other examples…
Were you at the snow bowl? I was. I remember 2001 quite well. The team would have sucked again with Bledsoe at quarterback. Brady changed the entire trajectory of the franchise (and of Bill Belichick's head coaching career... he should be kissing Brady's rings - all 7 - at halftime on September 10).
I suspect you were 12 or younger… that’s why you think Tom was a superhero who arrived to save the day by throwing for 5000 yards and 50 TD’s in 2001… that’s how all the Brady-stans remember it.

I'm curious why you are so down on the OL? I see an OL that should be improved from 22, which was ranked 19th best by FO.
They'll be improved, but only because of the new OLC & the extra year's experience... It certainly won't be from any talent infusion - because there wasn't any.

Anderson played decently last year and is still ascending
He did, but he isn't... He is now who he is and will always have physical limitations at that position.

and Reiff at least adds leadership,
That's not nearly enough for the guaranteed money he was given... Dude's washed-up.

and more likely than not the rookies should be able to add depth, especially Sow.
Sow should help somewhere, I think... Fat Tony? Straight trash homie... Jake The hopefully not Newest Fake? Better than Thanksdad, but you & I are too... And that's nowhere near worth the 107TH overall pick.

Strange should be better his second year after adding bulk.

And that still ain't nowhere near worth the 29TH overall pick either.

Sounds like Belichick should have drafted offense as opposed to stacking up defenders for Stephen and exhausting multiple picks on the 3rd phase (ST). I suppose O'Brien had better be a miracle worker.

Maybe. Or maybe Belichick feels that Thornton was the product of a bad system and being injured early last year and will breakout this season and maybe he will be right if he does. Maybe he thinks Trent Brown will be motivated this year and be good again and the other guys at RT signed will be good for an one year year stop gap. Maybe he feels JuJu Smith Schuster will look like he did in the first half of last year which would be a huge upgrade over Meyers.

Who knows? But I am not going to kill Belichick for an outcome that hasn't happened yet. I already think he will be on the bubble this season. I hope he proves all the doubters wrong, but if he doesn't he could be gone.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back