PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anonymous Sources: Mac is Impressing in Offseason

It is amazing though how there are some people who are practically rooting for Jones to fail. A Jones failure is a Patriots’ failure.
There are a lot of folks here with a rooting interest in BB's failure.

Allen wasn’t Allen straight out of the gates, you know that. He looked awful his first few seasons. Awful.
No, he wasn't. Firstly, Allen was the best QB prospect in that 2018 draft, he should have gone #1 overall, just in front of Lamar Jackson. That's how I had it. Season one he showed his extraordinary running ability (he had 631 yards and 8 TDs on only 89 attempts). He did struggle majorly as a passer. He improved significantly as a passer in season two and continued to run the ball effectively (9 more rushing TDs). Allen was hardly "awful" in season two. He was brilliant in season three and received MVP votes. 2020-2022 he accounted for 148 TDs, which is an incredible number.

The Eagles weren’t even completely sold on Hurts at the beginning of the offseason. They gave him a chance and he continued to grow. Seems odd you would even use him as an example. Kinda defeats the point you’re trying to make. There’s no reason that given the right situation and support Mac couldn’t become the next elite QB…like Hurts who coming out of college wasn’t being heralded as an all world talent.
Right, Hurts has been steadily ascending for three seasons. Mac didn't ascend from season one to season two. So one, Hurts got better, and two, the Eagles have given him a requisite supporting cast to aid his improvement. A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith are obviously superior to JuJu and Parker. I don't know what Mac would have looked like in the Eagles offense last season but he probably would have looked better than he did in the Patriots offense. But his overall value to any offense is going to be much less than what Hurts brings because Hurts is giving you 750+ rushing yards and 10+ rushing TDs. So no, Mac has no chance whatsoever of becoming elite like Hurts. I don't ever see "elite" in Mac's future but I've stated numerous times that I believe he could be good enough given an exceptional supporting cast. Currently I think we can all agree he doesn't have that.

X will never be elite, then they proceeded to not ever be elite. Most any Qb drafted into the NFL. I am not sure why if one person does something that means everyone else will too.
It doesn’t mean they will, saying they absolutely won’t is the only foolish take here.

This is a good example, there were people that wanted to move Josh Allen to TE after the combine...We need to give these guys time to develop under consistent coaching
Rookies can improve and prove people wrong, that is a good lesson. #12 taught us that over two decades ago… some fans didn’t learn the lesson.

It doesn’t mean they will, saying they absolutely won’t is the only foolish take here.
So Zach Wilson still has a chance to be elite? According to me he's a bust but according to you I must be foolish.

Rookies can improve and prove people wrong, that is a good lesson. #12 taught us that over two decades ago… some fans didn’t learn the lesson.
Brady? The biggest surprise in the history of professional team sports? That's the lesson fans didn't learn?

No, he wasn't. Firstly, Allen was the best QB prospect in that 2018 draft, he should have gone #1 overall, just in front of Lamar Jackson. That's how I had it. Season one he showed his extraordinary running ability (he had 631 yards and 8 TDs on only 89 attempts). He did struggle majorly as a passer. He improved significantly as a passer in season two and continued to run the ball effectively (9 more rushing TDs). Allen was hardly "awful" in season two. He was brilliant in season three and received MVP votes. 2020-2022 he accounted for 148 TDs, which is an incredible number.

Right, Hurts has been steadily ascending for three seasons. Mac didn't ascend from season one to season two. So one, Hurts got better, and two, the Eagles have given him a requisite supporting cast to aid his improvement. A.J. Brown and DeVonta Smith are obviously superior to JuJu and Parker. I don't know what Mac would have looked like in the Eagles offense last season but he probably would have looked better than he did in the Patriots offense. But his overall value to any offense is going to be much less than what Hurts brings because Hurts is giving you 750+ rushing yards and 10+ rushing TDs. So no, Mac has no chance whatsoever of becoming elite like Hurts. I don't ever see "elite" in Mac's future but I've stated numerous times that I believe he could be good enough given an exceptional supporting cast. Currently I think we can all agree he doesn't have that.
We need T Thornton to develop ie...make that year two jump: him and Juju could be very good for Mac. Again there is a lot of Ifs here I'm not a D Parker fan I really hope one of these Rookies outplay him I don't like his skill set for our Offense. We haven't been successful with WR's like him and I don't see him changing that.

No, he wasn't. Firstly, Allen was the best QB prospect in that 2018 draft, he should have gone #1 overall, just in front of Lamar Jackson. That's how I had it. Season one he showed his extraordinary running ability (he had 631 yards and 8 TDs on only 89 attempts). He did struggle majorly as a passer. He improved significantly as a passer in season two and continued to run the ball effectively (9 more rushing TDs). Allen was hardly "awful" in season two. He was brilliant in season three and received MVP votes. 2020-2022 he accounted for 148 TDs, which is an incredible number
Allen was 33rd in passing DVOA in 2018 and 5th in QB rushing DVOA.

In 2019 he improved to 28th in passing DVOA and fell to 17th in QB rushing DVOA.

In 2020 with Diggs he improved to 3rd in passing DVOA and fell to 18th in QB rushing DVOA.

So yes, he still sucked in his 2nd year and Buffalo's offense was still 20th in DVOA and very nearly as bad as last year's Pats offense.

Here's another thing if OC BOB makes Mac look very good I mean like how Jared Goff played last year he'll be one and done here. I hope BB have a succession plan for OC going forward BOB is well known in this league.

More Patricia scapegoating. Again, where was the GOAT head coach? I though he would be playing a much bigger role in the offense? Even supposedly taking over the play-calling at some point. WTF happened!??

And again, any accountability for professional athletes? No? Patricia sucks so just collapse into a fetal position. Basically the same crew coming back in 2023, time for some players - like the friggin quarterback for example - to pull up their bootstraps.

First, if Belichick is actively involved in the offense, that is an admission of how much of a disaster Patricia was. In the 23 years Belichick has been head coach, he has never had to spend much time gameday on offense. And he isn't an offensive coach. He has never called offensive plays gameday. If the head coach is taking over play call, unless it is by design, it is a clear indication the team's OC is an unmitigated disaster.

Second, I am not scapegoating Patricia. I am correctly pointing out what kind of a disaster he was last year. And I always blame Belichick more than him for putting him and the team in that position.

Third, I have blamed Jones. I just put him lower on the blame pie. I blame Belichick #1. Patricia and Judge #2. The o-line especially the tackles three. And Jones is on par with the receivers. I put the receivers higher on the blame pie, but I can see the argument for Jones over the receivers. I think that an objective observer would agree with me.

I'm pretty sure that's not true at all. He wasn't a bad passer in 2019 and he had 9 rushing TDs. He led the NFL in 4th quarter comebacks and game-winning drives. From year one to year two he improved significantly. He got MVP votes in year three. He's got 17 TDs and 4 INTs in 8 playoff games. Anyone who may have declared Allen a bust after year two is a complete moron.

"Josh Allen just had a historic season that nearly earned him MVP honors—but before that, many believed he’d be a bust. Is a leap like Allen’s replicable in the NFL, or was it one of a kind?"

www.theringer.com/2021/4/28/22406266/quarterback-development-nfl-draft-josh-allen-buffalo-bills

Here's a few more... but it never happened.

nypost.com/2020/08/21/josh-allen-feels-destined-to-be-a-fantasy-football-bust-in-2020/

www.wsj.com/articles/josh-allen-is-the-nfls-myth-busting-quarterback-11604494800

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Nvm4v17YE

thecomeback.com/nfl/josh-allen-already-destined-to-be-a-bust.html

cowboystatedaily.com/2021/01/22/josh-allen-takes-that-did-not-age-well/

www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/09/09/jalen-ramsey-josh-allen-trash-comments-gq-rams-bills-blowout

www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23244329/josh-allen-wyoming-cowboys-ultimate-boom-bust-2018-nfl-draft-prospect

heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/zach-wilson-start-mirrors-josh-allen/

Laughable how you are trying to create revisionist history because of what you know now.

It took me all of two seconds to plug "bust" and "Josh Allen" into the search engine and find an avalanche of takes about his first two years.

Proving yet again you're a negative Nancy anti-BB troll who can't even be honest about other teams while trying to tear down ours.

There are a lot of folks here with a rooting interest in BB's failure.

That too.

I am very critical of Belichick for last year and thought it was a fireable offense, but I certainly hope he redeems himself this year and shows he is still the best coach in the NFL.

Brady? The biggest surprise in the history of professional team sports? That's the lesson fans didn't learn?
Tom took some time to develop as well, the team around him was better and better coached, so they won despite him being a game manager.

It's not coincidence the five highest interception percentages of his career came in his first five years as a starter.

He threw one TD in the entire 2001 postseason... don't argue something you obviously barely remember.

Allen was 33rd in passing DVOA in 2018 and 5th in QB rushing DVOA.

In 2019 he improved to 28th in passing DVOA and fell to 17th in QB rushing DVOA.

In 2020 with Diggs he improved to 3rd in passing DVOA and fell to 18th in QB rushing DVOA.

So yes, he still sucked in his 2nd year and Buffalo's offense was still 20th in DVOA and very nearly as bad as last year's Pats offense.
OMG. Whatever. You a "few" seasons, as in more than two, so that brings in Allen's MVPish 2020 season. You made an incurrent statement.

Buffalo destroyed the rest of the league in total DVOA last season. Yet they barely beat Skylar Thompson in the wild card and then played like complete dogshit against the Bengals.

OMG. Whatever. You a "few" seasons, as in more than two, so that brings in Allen's MVPish 2020 season. You made an incurrent statement.

Buffalo destroyed the rest of the league in total DVOA last season. Yet they barely beat Skylar Thompson in the wild card and then played like complete dogshit against the Bengals.
Choking against the Bungles in the postseason is classic Josh Allen. That complete and total bust will never win a meaningful game.

WTF I'm beginning to think you are as much fool as knave.

I was responding only to your ridiculous claim that Allen didn't suck his first two years. He did.

First, if Belichick is actively involved in the offense, that is an admission of how much of a disaster Patricia was. In the 23 years Belichick has been head coach, he has never had to spend much time gameday on offense. And he isn't an offensive coach. He has never called offensive plays gameday. If the head coach is taking over play call, unless it is by design, it is a clear indication the team's OC is an unmitigated disaster.
You realize Belichick put Patricia in that position? That's my point. The unmitigated disaster was Belichick's management of the team.

Second, I am not scapegoating Patricia. I am correctly pointing out what kind of a disaster he was last year. And I always blame Belichick more than him for putting him and the team in that position.
You blame Belichick more than Patricia for Belichick hiring Patricia? Really stepping out on a limb there.

Third, I have blamed Jones. I just put him lower on the blame pie. I blame Belichick #1. Patricia and Judge #2. The o-line especially the tackles three. And Jones is on par with the receivers. I put the receivers higher on the blame pie, but I can see the argument for Jones over the receivers. I think that an objective observer would agree with me.
Yeah, that's way too small a piece of the blame pie for Mac. Pretty sure there were reports Judge was told to **** off by October. The receivers, the linemen... anyone else you want to blame? Mac's the QB, right? It's the most important position in the entire game so when I'm pointing out individual players to be held accountable for the offensive struggles then I'm point to Mac first. Mac was 28th in TD% and 23rd in INT%. Every QB in the NFL with 12 or more starts had at least 1 game-winning drive except for Mac (who apparently is allergic to GWDs). In fact 39 quarterbacks had at least 1 GWD last season.

Damien Harris’ fumble in week 1, winning in Los Angeles with his best deep pass of the year, narrowly losing to the Cowboys in OT, and narrowly losing to the Bucs..and I dare say out playing Brady. Then in 2022: Dugger being held on during a KOR TD in Minnesota , Meyers lateral in Vegas, Stevensons’ fumble against the Bengals, giving up two KR’s for TDs in Buffalo.

Two can play that game. Your record is what your record is.
Your record is what it is until you face a real team in the post season.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back