PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anonymous Sources: Mac is Impressing in Offseason

We heard this last offseason with the buzz words being "more zip on the ball", especially from Lazar. Mac looked horrible from the start of preseason. We will know more when he takes the field in the preseason.

I don't like Mac's supporting cast and the O-line is the worst in Bill's tenure along with the 2000 and 2019 line. It's going to be tough to imagine Mac will be better this year because of this. No QB in the NFL can elevate a poor supporting cast AND a bad O-line.

And why would Coaches and players want to be anonymous saying something positive about Mac?

We heard this last offseason with the buzz words being "more zip on the ball", especially from Lazar. Mac looked horrible from the start of preseason. We will know more when he takes the field in the preseason.

I don't like Mac's supporting cast and the O-line is the worst in Bill's tenure along with the 2000 and 2019 line. It's going to be tough to imagine Mac will be better this year because of this. No QB in the NFL can elevate a poor supporting cast AND a bad O-line.

And why would Coaches and players want to be anonymous saying something positive about Mac?
I think the anonymous person is Mac trying to hype himself up or Bailey Zappe being optimistic.:)

Still waiting on him to become elite
Me too. The guy has accomplished absolutely nothing in his career, and never will. He is simply not good at football.

Mac has already surpassed him in terms of what a pro QB should be, but for the sake of the entire city of Buffalo and their mental health, I kind of wish Josh Allen finally shows something. These poor little guys have never experienced any success in any sport. I think that entire city is about a year away from mass suicide.

Last edited:

I'm curious why you are so down on the OL? I see an OL that should be improved from 22, which was ranked 19th best by FO. Anderson played decently last year and is still ascending and Reiff at least adds leadership, and more likely than not the rookies should be able to add depth, especially Sow. Strange should be better his second year after adding bulk.

I'm curious why you are so down on the OL? I see an OL that should be improved from 22, which was ranked 19th best by FO. Anderson played decently last year and is still ascending and Reiff at least adds leadership, and more likely than not the rookies should be able to add depth, especially Sow. Strange should be better his second year after adding bulk.
The guard position is well-stocked and should be good-to-great. The tackle position, not so much.

T's are very bad. Trent Brown was terrible last season. Rieff is was a bad signing. David Andrews is gets pushed around a lot at C which is why a C was drafted. Onwenu just had ankle surgery. Is there a concern going forward? Strange is still a question mark.

Last edited:
T's are very bad and the worst since 2000 and 2019. Trent Brown was terrible last season. Rieff is was a bad signing. David Andrews is gets pushed around a lot at C which is why a C was drafted. Onwenu just had ankle surgery. Is there a concern going forward? Strange is still a question mark.
Gotcha, I probably like Anderson more than you and, while I don't love Reiff, he should at least be an adequate backup. I won't be concerned about Onweno until he isn't able to go for training camp and Andrews should have plenty of competition from the youngsters. As for Strange, although it's impossible to gauge by how much, I think it's a safe assumption that he will be better than he was last year.

same can be said about you any time there is a critical comment
Perhaps. But as a fan, it would seem more natural to defend the team you root for from criticism that attack any positivity.

Perhaps. But as a fan, it would seem more natural to defend the team you root for from criticism that attack any positivity.

I could be wrong, but I've seen you post some heat when it is warranted. Just saying, I think it's silly to say you always jump at critiques.

And folks need to understand the difference between a critique and just being an overblown, flaccid, arm-flailing tube man of unsatiable anger. There are critiques to be made at all times, but it becomes so hard to respect input that is rife with hyperbolic doomerism.

Its anonymous, so take it for what its worth, but I would be ecstatic if Mac took a huge leap forward this year.

“Continued positive reviews from teammates/coaches who have been around Mac Jones the longest,” Giardi tweeted.

— “Confident. Leading like we know he can.”
— “Ready to remind you (media/fans) why he was a playoff QB in year one.”
— “Energized” by the change (Bill O’Brien as OC).

Hopefully Mac can prove why he was the 15th pick and that his rookie season wasnt a fluke.
Yes, I read the same peice mike Girardi put out. I believe it was coming from coaches, players and other people in the organization in anonymity. I'm really rooting for Mac this season I want him to play well, lead this team, show he is the man going forward.

I'm of the opinion that you don't know who or what you're QB is unless he's back there performing at an average level while he's being rushed relentlessly deep in the playoffs.

Until then, you have no idea what you've got.

This is why Mahomes is great and why -- until now -- Burrow hasn't really proven anything to us.
It's such a unique thing with a QB like Mac, he won the starting job, came in played well for a rookie. Then last season it all went downhill by no fault of his own. Mahomes is naturally gifted and as he mentioned his baseball background helped his football gifts.
As far as Burrow love him.. but give Mac his 3 WRs and he'll put up numbers too.

I guess that's why it's said each season have to prove yourself all over again!

“Josh Allen will never be elite” - The entire football watching world after year two
This is a good example, there were people that wanted to move Josh Allen to TE after the combine...We need to give these guys time to develop under consistent coaching

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back