PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Almost Half Rebuilt

These moves don’t make us a playoff team yet. Still have work to do.
Pats were 7-9 last year. These moves make them much better than that team. Jonnu Smith and Judon are the BIG signings that change the offense and defense around. Adding explosiveness on both sides of the ball.

Good post Patsy, I think you covered the main areas of QB and C and even brought up the potentia cb position.

WR is a tough call as you said...with Agholor, Bourne, Edleman, Meyers, Harry I guess a true number 1 would be nice, but this group is a lot better than it was last year and I have a feeling we'll be adding at least one player via the draft. Adding Smith at TE also is huge.

TY homie! I feel comfortable at WR for now. If there's any merit to the JG talks, this offense is looking alot like the 2019 SF offense. Probably a better OL and RB set, but although he's not Kittle we do now have the dual threat TE and a solid set of WR's, without having a bonafide #1. Seems awful similar to that offense which he ran beautifully until the very last quarter of the season :/

EDIT: forgot to mention adding Zuber and Lee to your WR list - kind of longshots but hopefully they can factor in too.

Last edited:
Draft the QB.
I could actually see Bill moving up in this one situation, if the guy he wants is high enough. His flurry of FA signings frees up draft assets to be used in a potential move up, and our #1 pick position at 15 puts us in a rare position to move into the top 10 relatively inexpensively. This would be a good time to use the assets BB meticulously hordes to go out and get your guy at QB. Of course that assumes that guy is out there but strategically, Bill has set the groundwork in place to allow him to move up successfully without hurting the product on the field.

These moves don’t make us a playoff team yet. Still have work to do.
These moves make us a borderline playoff team. Not at the level we're used to, but about at the same level as, say, the Colts.

We added 2 starting DTs and a probowl caliber DE/OLB

DT
Godshauk
Anderson
Cowart
(Allen?)
Wise on 3rd down

LB/DE
Hightower
Judon
Winovich
Uche
Jennings
Bentley

What’s more to add?

USATSI_15286075.jpg

With this much talent on the roster, even with a mediocre QB, this team should be a Playoff team. The coaching staff is either planning for a trade-up to draft a QB or putting their faith in Cam Newton, I really believe this.

One thing is clear.

BB did not **** around today.

...and Bob gave him the AMEX Centurion card and told him to enjoy shopping.

And Bill Belichick enjoyed shopping and had a good day with his selection. I am excited. We will be competitive this coming season. I expect even more good things to happen for the Patriots as the off-season continues.

What’s left.
Needs and opportunities to upgrade.

OFFENSE
QB Have to have to have to draft a qb in round 1. Also really hoping someone, anyone besides newton is brought in to play until the rookie takes over.

RB Harris, Michel, Taylor. Need to add one but can be a late pick, cheap FA or UDFA.
I actually expect Michel to be the one back, spread, hurry up RB in the way woodhead was used. (I expect most posters here disagree but I could see it coming toward the end of last year) Failing that Taylor takes whites role Harris and Michel split time.

FB. Johnson/Vitale/Keene Good competition here and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Vitale take it.

WR. Agholor Meyers Edelman Bourne Harry Lee.
If Edelman is 100% this unit works. Clearly could upgrade by adding a true 1. Couldn’t hurt to add a cheap bet or draft pick.

TE
Smith
Asiasi
Keene
Izzo
Think we are set here

OL
Wynn
Onwenu

Mason
Brown

Herron
Cunningham
Cajuste

Lots to do here. Find the C. Add depth. Cheap vets or draft picks should handle the depth. FA or draft pick at C?

DEFENSE
DT
I think we are done here and this has become a strength.
GODSHAUK
ANDERSON
COWART
good rotation.
WISE 3rd down DT

SPENCE
DAVIS
THURMAN
fighting for a job.

LB/DE
we play many different combinations of 4 guys considered LB DE or a combo.
HIGHTOWER
JUDON
WINOVICH
UCHE
JENNINGS
BENTLEY
WISE
ideally this is a 6-7 man rotation with full time, half time and part time guys filling specific roles in packages and schemes.

The real question is who steps in as #2 off the ball LB. That could be a spot to upgrade with a FA or draft choice. With the mixing and matching we do I don’t see it as a major need.

HALL
BOWERS
are depth.

CORNER
GILMORE
JACKSON
MILLS
JONES
WILLIAMS
BRYANT

SAFETY
MCCOURTY
DUGGER
PHILLIPS
MILLS
WILLIAMS

we seem well set here unless Gilmore goes

Last edited:
I’d like round 1 to be DT if it’s not QB. I like that position group with a premium rookie DT.

And Bill Belichick enjoyed shopping and had a good day with his selection. I am excited. We will be competitive this coming season. I expect even more good things to happen for the Patriots as the off-season continues.
I think what we saw was the level of high end need Belichick felt he had and he decided to attack the market instead of letting the market come to him and risk missing out.
I don’t think it could have happened without targeting rosenhaus guys and that was clearly part of the plan.
I think when the contract come out they will be more backloaded than normal (the longer ones) based upon how the cap looks going forward and the fact that these were mostly prime age guys.

Last edited:
Defensively we added 2 new DTs a new OLB/DE a DB and a LB (Hightower). 5 new starters.
Offensively we added WR WR TE OT 4 new starters
A few more to go and then a whole bunch of depth upgrades with the rest of free agency and late round picks. Draft the QB.
DEFENSE

A) The Front Seven/Six has been completely rebuilt.
1) We could add Van Noy
2) we could add Butler, Guy, Simon, or Calhoun
3) Allen could be cut (or we could wait until camp)

B) The secondary has 2 question marks: JC Jackson and Gilmore
4) We've replaced Jason McCourty with Mills.
5) Gilmore seems likely to be traded.
6) Jackson needs a 1st rounder, or a long-term deal. Someone might pay a 1st essentially forcing us to draft a CB high.

BOTTOM LINE
Although I 'd love to see us add Van Noy, the big question mark is at starting CB.

What’s left.

OFFENSE
QB Have to have to have to draft a qb in round 1. Also really hoping someone, anyone besides newton is brought in to play until the rookie takes over.

RB Harris, Michel, Taylor. Need to add one but can be a late pick, cheap FA or UDFA.
I actually expect Michel to be the one back, spread, hurry up RB in the way woodhead was used. (I expect most posters here disagree but I could see it coming toward the end of last year) Failing that Taylor takes whites role Harris and Michel split time.

FB. Johnson/Vitale/Keene Good competition here and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Vitale take it.

WR. Agholor Meyers Edelman Bourne Harry Lee.
If Edelman is 100% this unit works. Clearly could upgrade by adding a true 1. Couldn’t hurt to add a cheap bet or draft pick.

TE
Smith
Asiasi
Keene
Izzo
Think we are set here

OL
Wynn
Onwenu

Mason
Brown

Herron
Cunningham
Cajuste

Lots to do here. Find the C. Add depth. Cheap vets or draft picks should handle the depth. FA or draft pick at C?

DEFENSE
DT
I think we are done here and this has become a strength.
GODSHAUK
ANDERSON
COWART
good rotation.
WISE 3rd down DT

SPENCE
DAVIS
THURMAN
fighting for a job.

LB/DE
we play many different combinations of 4 guys considered LB DE or a combo.
HIGHTOWER
JUDON
WINOVICH
UCHE
JENNINGS
BENTLEY
WISE
ideally this is a 6-7 man rotation with full time, half time and part time guys filling specific roles in packages and schemes.

The real question is who steps in as #2 off the ball LB. That could be a spot to upgrade with a FA or draft choice. With the mixing and matching we do I don’t see it as a major need.

HALL
BOWERS
are depth.

CORNER
GILMORE
JACKSON
MILLS
WILLIAMS
BRYANT

SAFETY
MCCOURTY
DUGGER
PHILLIPS
MILLS
WILLIAMS

Don’t forget there’s Jonathon Jones as well in that CB group

DEFENSE

A) The Front Seven/Six has been completely rebuilt.
1) We could add Van Noy
2) we could add Butler, Guy, Simon, or Calhoun
3) Allen could be cut (or we could wait until camp)

B) The secondary has 2 question marks: JC Jackson and Gilmore
4) We've replaced Jason McCourty with Mills.
5) Gilmore seems likely to be traded.
6) Jackson needs a 1st rounder, or a long-term deal. Someone might pay a 1st essentially forcing us to draft a CB high.

BOTTOM LINE
Although I 'd love to see us add Van Noy, the big question mark is at starting CB.
No one has ever paid a first for a RFA.
I don’t see why we would trade Gilmore.
I would ONLY do it if that’s the only way to move up to get the qb we are targeting.

Another edge/lb piece like Kvn is intriguing.

I don’t think there is room for butler.

What’s left.

1) There is lots to do on the OL, especially since we have no center, and Brown is on a 1 year contract.

2) If Jackson and Gilmore are our starting CB's, then we are more than fine. We have one of the very best secondaries in the NFL.

1) There is lots to do on the OL, especially since we have no center, and Brown is on a 1 year contract.

2) If Jackson and Gilmore are our starting CB's, then we are more than fine. We have one of the very best secondaries in the NFL.
The secondary is extremely deep and versatile too. I didn’t even list Chung.

At this point, I am not going to project, guess, or get involved with the thought process of the NE Patriots as it pertains to UFA selections, draft picks, trades, and signing. We have an excellent team employed by the Patriots to think all these things through.

As I go to sleep tonight, I will feel better about the Patriots than I did last night. That's a lot to be said.

Thank you New England Pats for keeping my faith that we will have a competitive team come this fall.

I look forward to the mores to come as you, NEP, unpack your off-season plan.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back