PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post All-Time QB Rankings / QB Hall of Fame Monitor

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Stafford gets in with the ring. Wilson should compile enough stats by then. Remember he's been to two, so even losing another one won't hurt him that much imo. Esp if he doesn't throw the most famous INT in NFL history again.

Eli will bc of beating us twice. I think he'll go first try. Same for Ben imo.

Rivers and Ryan wait unless Ryan gets a ring.
I'm kinda hoping eli gets the plunkett treatment in hof voting... That the voters look past the 2 wins and his name and look at his whole body of work... Which is not Hof level imo

I'm kinda hoping eli gets the plunkett treatment in hof voting... That the voters look past the 2 wins and his name and look at his whole body of work... Which is not Hof level imo
Agreed I just think the headlines play more than details at these things. Like someone will say "he beat Brady & Belichick twice" and everyone will nod, sigh, burp and move on.

See how many of them believe ridiculous things like "Drew Bledsoe is the second best quarterback in Patriots history" or "Marc Bulger is the second best quarterback in Rams history"

See how many of them believe ridiculous things like "Drew Bledsoe is the second best quarterback in Patriots history" or "Marc Bulger is the second best quarterback in Rams history"
Ranking 2-10 Pats qbs would be a good thread...

Ranking 2-10 Pats qbs would be a good thread...
Best QB's ever to be Patriots at some point in their careers:

1. Tom Brady/his attitude alone put him on top from the start

2. Steve Grogan/career trajectory similar to Brady, sabotaged by Dreith, Tatum (and Sullivan)

3. Doug Flutie/Kiam was a fool not to sign & start him

4. Jim Plunkett/a championship player throughout

5. Babe Parilli/his TD record only broken by Brady in '07

6. Rich Gannon/MVP

7. Cam Newton/MVP

8. Vinny Testaverde/better overall player

9. Brian Dowling/Brady if Pats hadn't drafted him

10. Joe Kapp/won titles in CFL & NFL

Ready to stick Mac in there somewhere

2. Steve Grogan/career trajectory similar to Brady, sabotaged by Dreith, Tatum (and Sullivan)

6. Rich Gannon/MVP

7. Cam Newton/MVP

I take it you are looking at an entire career perspective. and thats a ridiculous list. Brian Dowling? come on man, that's just silly.

yeah, this needs its own thread. Don't want to derail this one.

6. Rich Gannon/MVP

7. Cam Newton/MVP

If you're going on entire careers and not just time spent with the Patriots then Bledsoe has got to be in there somewhere. Believe me, I don't want to defend Bledsoe because he was a mistake-prone quarterback from start to finish, and he SUCKED in the postseason, but ************... Brian Dowling?

Apologies to Natick High and BC but Doug Flutie wasn't ever a good NFL quarterback. I don't think he had even one decent start for the Patriots. He was ok for the Bills in his first season back from the CFL... that's it. Bledsoe > Flutie and it's not close.

Love Grogan but he sabotaged his own career with turnovers and inaccuracy. Bledsoe actually has much better numbers than Grogan.

Testaverde wasn't better than Bledsoe either. Check out Testaverde's game logs from the 1988 season when he had 35 picks... horror show.

I have no use for Cam Newton. It was painful watching him in a Patriots uniform. He had one fluky season with an abnormally high TD% for him... the rest of his stats were in line with his pedestrian career numbers. And god damn he was awful in that Super Bowl. Newton has the edge over Bledsoe because of the rushing element but as a passer I'd take Bledsoe of the two.

I take it you are looking at an entire career perspective
Yeah, Best QB's ever to be Patriots at some point in their careers

Or, who would I start in a game I wanted to win

Not, who had the red carpet rolled out for them, or who had the best line and receivers around him

Bledsoe is a top Pats QB easily.

I hated him throwing to MLB’s in the middle of the field and his famous excessive ball pat, but he put up some good stats for that era.

If you're going on entire careers and not just time spent with the Patriots then Bledsoe has got to be in there somewhere. Believe me, I don't want to defend Bledsoe because he was a mistake-prone quarterback from start to finish, and he SUCKED in the postseason
Bledsoe was given the royal treatment, and had some great weapons. He never had the ability, leadership or football acumen of Parilli, Plunkett, Grogan, Flutie or Brady.
but ************... Brian Dowling?
Never was given the reigns of a team, or the chance to develop. But he was loaded with all the intangibles.

Not a great athlete, but good enough to be one of the greatest college quarterbacks. Ever, IMO.

Bledsoe is a top Pats QB easily.

I hated him throwing to MLB’s in the middle of the field and his famous excessive ball pat, but he put up some good stats for that era.
Neil Lomax also put up some good stats.

He's not the second best quarterback in Cardinals history.

You guys remember the rise of the old washed up QB having a one year wonder?

Flutie and Testerverde in ‘98?

Steve Beuerlein in ‘99?

Rich Gannon in 1998-2002

Anybody else I’m forgetting?

Last edited:

Steve Beuerlein in ‘99?

Rich Gannon in 1998-2002

scott mitchell

derek anderson

nick foles

brock osweiler

eli manning (well, a two year wonder)

matt cassell

among others

6. Rich Gannon/MVP

7. Cam Newton/MVP

Please delete Flutie, Gannon, Newton, Testaverde, Dowling and Joe Kapp from this list. I don't recall any significant achievements for this group as a Patriot, other than Flutie's drop kick.

Eli will get in but not on the first ballot. Brady avoided getting into the HOF at the same time as Roethlisberger by un-retiring, but it may result in him being in the same class as Eli, which would be ironic to say the least.

I think he gets in, for sure. The things that guys that are in ahead of him, he's done more than most. I don't see any reason why he doesn't get in.
-Joe Montana on Eli Manning

Last edited:

Steve Beuerlein in ‘99?

Rich Gannon in 1998-2002

Craig Morton '77

Please delete Flutie, Gannon, Newton, Testaverde, Dowling and Joe Kapp from this list. I don't recall any significant achievements for this group as a Patriot, other than Flutie's drop kick.

His list is terrible, warped as all hell, and not remotely accurate, but it's his.

Eli Manning shouldn't make the HOF. Is Joe Flacco a HOFer? Their career passer ratings are the nearly the same... Eli 84.1 and Flacco 84.2. Flacco has a higher completion percentage and a much lower INT%. Neither ever led the NFL in any major statistical category except for Eli led the league in INTs three times. No All-Pro selections between the two of them. 0 MVP votes. Flacco has a higher winning percentage. As good as Eli was in his SB winning postseasons, Flacco was better in his one SB run. Overall Flacco had better postseason numbers too. Two rings makes for a compelling argument but Eli's career isn't HOF worthy.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back