PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post All-Time QB Rankings / QB Hall of Fame Monitor

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Yikes Russell Wilson is that bad that Fouts is better than him twice!!
Whoops lol.

In all honesty, I think Russell Wilson is a guy whose reputation has been enhanced because he doesn't play in a mega market like NY, Chi, Philly, Boston, LA, etc.

Because he was seen on national TV a few times a year. Threw a great deep ball.

He escapes criticism for taking unnecessary sacks, poor pocket awareness, and inability to heighten his team into an NFCCG. Since SB 49, his teams haven't been to the third round.

The fact he's talked about as a HOF by media guys is crazy. Zero AP's. Zero MVP's. Zero TD passing leader. SB ring...as a bus driver QB.

Long story short, he's overrated.

Russell Wilson is pretty good. He did lead the NFL in TDs once (2017). He also has some eyepopping career numbers:

101.8 passer rating (4th all-time)
6.2% TD% (9th all-time... only active QBs better are Mahomes and Rodgers)
1.8% INT% (5th all-time tied with Brady)

High TD, low turnover quarterback. Can scramble and run as well.

He does have the worst turnover in NFL history, but he's definitely going to make the HOF. We'll see how he makes out in that ridiculously loaded AFC West division... they'll finish over .500 but they still could finish last in that division. I could also see them making a deep playoff run.

His list is terrible, warped as all hell, and not remotely accurate, but it's his.
Thanks.

So, what I'm hearing is that you believe you'd have a better chance of winning a game with, say, Drew Bledsoe or Tony Eason starting, than most of those guys on the list.

Your opinion is...the same...but it's yours. Thanks again for at least looking at my list.

Thanks.

So, what I'm hearing is that you believe you'd have a better chance of winning a game with, say, Drew Bledsoe or Tony Eason starting, than most of those guys on the list.

Your opinion is...the same...but it's yours. Thanks again for at least looking at my list.

Actually, my main issue was that you were putting guys on the list when they either failed in NE and stepped up elsewhere, or never even played QB in NE.

But, yes, I think you would absolutely have a better chance to win, during the era they played in New England, with Bledsoe than most of the guys on that list. And history makes that pretty clear. Interestingly, to me, a guy like Flutie would have a chance to be more successful in today's game, while Bledsoe's game was definitely old(er)-school, as we saw with his struggles as the game changed and Coates faded.

Actually, my main issue was that you were putting guys on the list when they either failed in NE and stepped up elsewhere, or never even played QB in NE.
Best QB's ever to be Patriots at some point in their careers
But, yes, I think you would absolutely have a better chance to win, during the era they played in New England, with Bledsoe than most of the guys on that list. And history makes that pretty clear.
Marino never ran. Montana, not much either.

Brady-really

Grogan-was a very effective passer, just got the heck beat out of him in that era, but leadership & football acumen...no comparison

Flutie-of course, we'll never know, but give him what Bledsoe, Kelly, Elway etc. were given-Doug's better (JMO)

Jim Plunkett-not close...an all time clutch player...simply not understood or appreciated

Babe Parilli-would have been even better in the 90's

Rich Gannon-less statuesque, a running threat. MVP. Not chopped liver

Cam Newton-now, I might concede Drew has a bit of a better attitude

Vinny Testaverde-I need to look up the Bledsoe-Testaverde results

Brian Dowling-again, we'll never know

Joe Kapp-he sucked in his last, his only year with us...in the 90's, yes Drew may have been better

Mac Jones? Oh, way above Bledsoe.

So, I guess Drew could make it as high as 8th all time. He's still the most overrated athlete in the history of Boston sports.

Hey, he's ahead of Tony Eason. And Hugh Millen. And Scott Zolack.:)

Best QB's ever to be Patriots at some point in their careers

Using a guy like Gannon is ridiculous on multiple levels.

The rest of your rankings is just general silliness. Parilli? Newton? Testaverde?

hl34KVI.gif

Last edited:
Mac Jones? Oh, way above Bledsoe.
Wait!!!

MJ went 352/521 with 3801 yards and 22 TD his one year in the NFL at age 23 - Won 10 games
DB went 400/691 with a league leading 4555 yards and 25 TD at age 22 in his 1st full year as a starter - Won 10 games

Lets also take into consideration that the league is a little different now than it was in 1994. 4555 yards passing in 1994 is a LOT of yardage considering the game then.

Also Bledsoe made it to the Super Bowl once and won his division twice.

So....I am asking. How is (at this point) Mac Jones "way above" Bledsoe at this point?

Its not even worth talking about your QB list because we have gone though this before and its embarrassingly absurd on many levels.

RiCh GaNnOn WaS a BeTtEr Qb FoR tHe PaTs ThAn BlEdSoE
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Using a guy like Gannon is ridiculous on multiple levels
Its not even worth talking about your QB list because we have gone though this before and its embarrassingly absurd on many levels
For the last time

'Best QB's ever to be Patriots at some point in their careers'
Absolutely
Newton? Testaverde?
Did you read what I said?
Wait!!!

MJ went 352/521 with 3801 yards and 22 TD his one year in the NFL at age 23 - Won 10 games
DB went 400/691 with a league leading 4555 yards and 25 TD at age 22 in his 1st full year as a starter - Won 10 games

Lets also take into consideration that the league is a little different now than it was in 1994. 4555 yards passing in 1994 is a LOT of yardage considering the game then.
Drew's '1st full year as a starter'. As though he sat in the stands, like Brady in '00?

Rookie Years:

QB___________G____QBrec____Cmp___Att___Cmp%___Yds______TD___TD%___Int___Int%____Rate

Bledsoe(21)__13___5-7_______214____429__49.9______2494____15____3.5_____15___3.5_____65.0
Jones(23)_____17__10-7______352____521__67.6______3801____22____4.2_____13___2.5_____92.5

So, let's see how Mac does in this, his 2nd 'full year as a starter'

Let me concede that Drew had some very productive seasons here (3 Pro Bowls). Like Neil Lomax, Marc Bulger, etc.

Also, the team Mac had last year had some more established players and coaches.
Also Bledsoe made it to the Super Bowl twice and won his division twice.
Drew could throw the football. Like most NFL quarterbacks or prospects.

How much did he have to do with team success? Lots, if you're comparing him to, Scott Zolak, I guess.

I think folks want me to say Drew didn't suck. Okay.

Just please don't expect me to say that in the context of how media evaluates and promotes him, or how he stacks up against the first six quarterbacks on my list and Mac.

He telegraphed his passes and had practically no football acumen. Doesn't mean he's not a nice person.

For the last time

'Best QB's ever to be Patriots at some point in their careers'

Absolutely

Did you read what I said?

Drew's '1st full year as a starter'. As though he sat in the stands, like Brady in '00?

Rookie Years:

QB___________G____QBrec____Cmp___Att___Cmp%___Yds______TD___TD%___Int___Int%____Rate

Bledsoe(21)__13___5-7_______214____429__49.9______2494____15____3.5_____15___3.5_____65.0
Jones(23)_____17__10-7______352____521__67.6______3801____22____4.2_____13___2.5_____92.5

So, let's see how Mac does in this, his 2nd 'full year as a starter'

Let me concede that Drew had some very productive seasons here (3 Pro Bowls). Like Neil Lomax, Marc Bulger, etc.

Also, the team Mac had last year had some more established players and coaches.

Drew could throw the football. Like most NFL quarterbacks or prospects.

How much did he have to do with team success? Lots, if you're comparing him to, Scott Zolak, I guess.

I think folks want me to say Drew didn't suck. Okay.

Just please don't expect me to say that in the context of how media evaluates and promotes him, or how he stacks up against the first six quarterbacks on my list and Mac.

He telegraphed his passes and had practically no football acumen. Doesn't mean he's not a nice person.
I know the world criticizes Matty P as OC, but in the long run we got to see Jones hit his ceiling earlier. That is better than going through an entire era of just hoping Eason would get hurt to have a chance.

I know the world criticizes Matty P as OC,
as they should
but in the long run we got to see Jones hit his ceiling earlier.
You think last year or his rookie year was the Ceiling of Mac Jones career? Man you are absolutely brutal when it comes to evaluating qbs you do not like
That is better than going through an entire era of just hoping Eason would get hurt to have a chance.
I never realized that the much maligned (and for good reason) Tony Eason had more 3,000+ yard passing seasons in New England, and as many 20+ passing tds seasons in his 6.5 years in NE as Steve Grogan did in his 16 year NE career...

Last edited:
You think last year or his rookie year was the Ceiling of Mac Jones career? Man you are absolutely brutal when it comes to evaluating qbs you do not like
I've said before that I think this past year will be beneficial for Mac in the long run, and he can be a very capable quarterback in this league.

I simply prefer it be with some other team.
I never realized that the much maligned (and for good reason) Tony Eason had more 3,000+ yard passing seasons in New England, and as many 20+ passing tds seasons in his 6.5 years in NE as Steve Grogan did in his 16 year NE career...
It's totally deceptive statistics like this that illustrate how criteria for evaluating quarterbacks mostly ignores surrounding cast including players and coaches, era and context, and what the player actually does to enable his team to win a football game, as opposed to racking up passing yards while being utterly clueless about strategy, and totally lacking situational and field awareness, sport acumen and effective, deliberate (not desperate) determination to lead his team to victory.

Eason was really good in his playoff appearances. 4 starts, all on the road, 3-1 record, 7 TDs, 0 INTs, and a passer rating of 115.6. Everyone picks on him for the embarrassment in the Super Bowl but the Bears did a Godzilla Tokyo destruction on the Patriots that night.

Patriots QBs in the postseason:

Grogan:
4 games, 0-3, 3 TDs, 7 INTs, 49.1 passer rating
Eason: 5 games, 3-2, 7 TDs, 0 INTs, 115.6 passer rating
Bledsoe: 7 games, 3-3, 6 TDs, 12 INTs, 54.9 passer rating
Brady: 41 games, 30-11, 73 TDs, 35 INTs, 89.8 passer rating

Eason was really good in his playoff appearances. 4 starts, all on the road, 3-1 record, 7 TDs, 0 INTs, and a passer rating of 115.6. Everyone picks on him for the embarrassment in the Super Bowl but the Bears did a Godzilla Tokyo destruction on the Patriots that night.

Grogan:
holy **** didn’t realize Bledsoe had a 0.50 TD/INT ratio

Grogan:

i get the numbers... but man there was a "way" Eason played... that really made you feel like you ate a box of ex-lax or something...

what the hell do I know... Bledsoe is my favorite out of all of them...

i get the numbers... but man there was a "way" Eason played... that really made you feel like you ate a box of ex-lax or something...

what the hell do I know... Bledsoe is my favorite out of all of them...
Drew over Tom?

Grogan:
All these guys tried hard.

Grogan, had a title robbed from him, was injured the second time, had a much better opponent the other two, including only being put in after the team fell behind by three touchdowns & Bears got a gift FG from the officials before halftime.

So, there are no statistics for the games in '76 at Three Rivers and the Rose Bowl, because they were never played.

And there likewise are no stats for playoff games in 1986 because Berry continued to start the wrong guy.

Drew hit his ceiling in the playoffs, but again he tried hard. Not his fault Perkins gave C-Mart eleven (11) total carries in the Superdome.

Eason in 1985 played over his head; was coached up by Steckel and didn't screw up. In the three road playoff wins, we had a 15-4 turnover margin advantage and James rushed for over 100 yards in each game.

All these guys tried hard.

Grogan, had a title robbed from him, was injured the second time, had a much better opponent the other two, including only being put in after the team fell behind by three touchdowns & Bears got a gift FG from the officials before halftime.

So, there are no statistics for the games in '76 at Three Rivers and the Rose Bowl, because they were never played.

And there likewise are no stats for playoff games in 1986 because Berry continued to start the wrong guy.

Drew hit his ceiling in the playoffs, but again he tried hard. Not his fault Perkins gave C-Mart eleven (11) total carries in the Superdome.

Eason in 1985 played over his head; was coached up by Steckel and didn't screw up. In the three road playoff wins, we had a 15-4 turnover margin advantage and James rushed for over 100 yards in each game.
I was and still a great fan of Steve Grogan ... my favorite Patriots QB ... not best ...
just my favorite ... he called his own plays ... imagine that in today's NFL ... he was way ahead of his time.
Loved the old NFL ... but it's gone now .... still love all of it ...
It's great to see players who could have played well 30 years ago ...
Eh.... I have rambled enough ... bottle of wine and melatonin are telling me it's time for bed. :zzz:

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Back