PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post All-Time QB Rankings / QB Hall of Fame Monitor

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
How much do you guys weigh longevity vs peak/prime? I'm trying to find a way to strike a balance between the two. My biggest problem right now is doing that and also a balance between winning/individual play. This is how they're ordered on my personal list I'm working on (but constantly changing)

Montana
Manning
Young
Elway
Rodgers
Favre
Brees
Marino
Roethlisberger
Griese
Aikman
Kelly
Wilson
Warner
Stabler
Rivers
Moon
Fouts
Eli

Just know by the end of the day a player could have moved up or down a spot. Not sure what the hell to do with the stat group at 5-8.

How much do you guys weigh longevity vs peak/prime? I'm trying to find a way to strike a balance between the two. My biggest problem right now is doing that and also a balance between winning/individual play. This is how they're ordered on my personal list I'm working on (but constantly changing)

Montana
Manning
Young
Elway
Rodgers
Favre
Brees
Marino
Roethlisberger
Griese
Aikman
Kelly
Wilson
Warner
Stabler
Rivers
Moon
Fouts
Eli

Just know by the end of the day a player could have moved up or down a spot. Not sure what the hell to do with the stat group at 5-8.

Nice list...that's probably about my order as well without the computer rankings. Young would be #2 or #3, and Montana would be #1.

Longevity vs Peak

There's issues with guys who played 20 years and weren't spectacular, who probably shouldn't be ranked above guys who played 10 years and were among the greatest ever. So I try to find a balance between efficiency and volume. That's what I spend all the time doing with the spreadsheet, making adjustments with things like that...when I started it, of course there were all kinds of problems like you see with that PFR Hall of Fame monitor...Matt Ryan over Bart Starr, and crazy things like that.

I created an efficiency rating first...meaning that every QB is reduced to a number. So let's say that Vinny Testaverde is a 1.0 and Joe Montana is a 3.0. Now, if you were to rate QBs using efficiency only, you might just theorize everyone had a ten-year career and Montana's score is a 30 while Testaverde's score is a 10. Except, you might find that has its own problems when Lamar Jackson surpassed Joe Montana in 2019. So, what if Montana gets the 30 score because he played 10 seasons, but Testaverde doesn't get a 20 for playing 20 seasons. Instead, the effiency is set to something 50%, so anything over the 10 seasons gets you half points...and Testaverde gets a 15 instead. Meanwhile, a guy like Lamar Jackson gets a big reduction for small sample size and his stats don't fully "mature" until he reaches those ten seasons. Championships are always constant in their value, but everything else is subject to this type of review.

Winning vs Individual Play

This is a tough one...I use both winning percentage and adjusted QB rating, as I hope they'll cancel each other out if one of those areas is weaker. But the entire exercise is kind of reduced to this exact issue: how much do you reward quarterbacks for team success? I've tried to even apply a formula to championships....a mediocre QB who is weaker in other categories may only get like 75% of the championship points. And this is why you have to use a few different measures...accolades,, stats, etc. are important as well. A guy like Joe Flacco isn't going to come up as a great QB; his stats and lack of accolades overpower his winning percentage.

I kept getting Warren Moon ranking at like 60-70 overall, so looking at his career and the problem you're describing was the big issue. Sub-.500 quarterback, no championships, and stats that were good but not spectacular. Led me to re-work a bunch of things.

But to make it simple: you can come up with category scores. For example, a guy can be a 1-10 in winning percentage, 1-10 in awards, and 1-10 in stats. Now, arriving at those numbers may be very complicated, depending on which factors you use. But this way, Flacco may be an 8 for winning, but a 2 in accolades and a 3 in stats. With most QBs, there's going to be those checks and balances.

Nice list...that's probably about my order as well without the computer rankings. Young would be #2 or #3, and Montana would be #1.

Longevity vs Peak

There's issues with guys who played 20 years and weren't spectacular, who probably shouldn't be ranked above guys who played 10 years and were among the greatest ever. So I try to find a balance between efficiency and volume. That's what I spend all the time doing with the spreadsheet, making adjustments with things like that...when I started it, of course there were all kinds of problems like you see with that PFR Hall of Fame monitor...Matt Ryan over Bart Starr, and crazy things like that.

I created an efficiency rating first...meaning that every QB is reduced to a number. So let's say that Vinny Testaverde is a 1.0 and Joe Montana is a 3.0. Now, if you were to rate QBs using efficiency only, you might just theorize everyone had a ten-year career and Montana's score is a 30 while Testaverde's score is a 10. Except, you might find that has its own problems when Lamar Jackson surpassed Joe Montana in 2019. So, what if Montana gets the 30 score because he played 10 seasons, but Testaverde doesn't get a 20 for playing 20 seasons. Instead, the effiency is set to something 50%, so anything over the 10 seasons gets you half points...and Testaverde gets a 15 instead. Meanwhile, a guy like Lamar Jackson gets a big reduction for small sample size and his stats don't fully "mature" until he reaches those ten seasons. Championships are always constant in their value, but everything else is subject to this type of review.

Winning vs Individual Play

This is a tough one...I use both winning percentage and adjusted QB rating, as I hope they'll cancel each other out if one of those areas is weaker. But the entire exercise is kind of reduced to this exact issue: how much do you reward quarterbacks for team success? I've tried to even apply a formula to championships....a mediocre QB who is weaker in other categories may only get like 75% of the championship points. And this is why you have to use a few different measures...accolades,, stats, etc. are important as well. A guy like Joe Flacco isn't going to come up as a great QB; his stats and lack of accolades overpower his winning percentage.

I kept getting Warren Moon ranking at like 60-70 overall, so looking at his career and the problem you're describing was the big issue. Sub-.500 quarterback, no championships, and stats that were good but not spectacular. Led me to re-work a bunch of things.

But to make it simple: you can come up with category scores. For example, a guy can be a 1-10 in winning percentage, 1-10 in awards, and 1-10 in stats. Now, arriving at those numbers may be very complicated, depending on which factors you use. But this way, Flacco may be an 8 for winning, but a 2 in accolades and a 3 in stats. With most QBs, there's going to be those checks and balances.
Great post.

I've actually been considering implementing something like your last point. It's going to be highly subjective but it could be cool to have everything you mentioned + some other things on a 1-10 scale. It could allow me to differentiate two guys that I keep flipping on.

QB's better than Russell Wilson. In no order:

Brady
Peyton Manning
Montana
Rodgers
Brees
Favre
Tarkenton
Stabler
Blanda
Luckman
Sonny J
Baugh
Mahomes
Starr
Roethlisberger
Bradshaw
Rivers
Manning
Fouts
Aikman
Staubach
Elway
Marino
Griese
Warner
McNabb
Dawson
Young
Tittle
Kelly
Kenny A
Ryan
Simms
Namath
Layne
Moon
Fouts
Van Brocklin
Unitas
Graham
Eli Manning
Plunkett
Gannon

If Stafford wins the Super Bowl, I have him moving up to around #50 all-time, right on the outside of the Hall of Fame bubble. He would pretty firmly "not in the Hall" but would would be clearly in the next class of players below the Hall cutoff. Joe Theismann, Earl Morrall, Phil Simms, etc.

The area where he really gets hurt is the awards. He has only made the pro bowl one time, which is pretty shocking given that he's had quite a few high level seasons. It's amazing that he got snubbed this year for KyLeR mUrRaY.

If Stafford wins the Super Bowl, I have him moving up to around #50 all-time, right on the outside of the Hall of Fame bubble. He would pretty firmly "not in the Hall" but would would be clearly in the next class of players below the Hall cutoff. Joe Theismann, Earl Morrall, Phil Simms, etc.

The area where he really gets hurt is the awards. He has only made the pro bowl one time, which is pretty shocking given that he's had quite a few high level seasons. It's amazing that he got snubbed this year for KyLeR mUrRaY.
Murray has 2 Pro Bowl the last 2 years when he should have none.

Murray has 2 Pro Bowl the last 2 years when he should have none.

Pro Bowl Selections, 2020-21

Kyler Murray - 2
Tom Brady - 1
Mac Jones - 1
Lamar Jackson - 1
Ryan Tannehill - 1
Matt Stafford - 0
Dak Prescott - 0

I think it makes sense in the Hall of Fame tracker to focus even less on the pro bowl selections in recent times. They're more important when you go back into previous decades and the stats don't seem to align with the league/public perspective. They're an absolute joke these days; win/loss percentage and QB stats hold up pretty well on their own.

Montana
Manning
Young
Elway
Rodgers
Favre
Brees
Marino
Roethlisberger
Griese
Aikman
Kelly
Wilson
Warner
Stabler
Rivers
Moon
Fouts
Eli

I guess you don't give any credibility to anyone before the 70"s

I'm working on updating the list to see where some of the more recent devleopments lead us...in particular, Stafford's championship, Big Ben's final standing, Russell Wilson's plateau/decline...stacked against Eli, Rivers, and Ryan. Hall of Fame credentials will be interesting.

Recently evaluated around 20 quarterbacks so far and I'm getting a clear top 12 (order is interchangeable in each tier, and I'm still not sure if I want to bump Baugh)

Brady
---------
Montana
Graham
---------
Manning
Unitas
Starr
Baugh
Luckman
Staubach
---------
Young
Rodgers
Elway

Like 4-9, 13-18 is also a complete cluster. Honestly, you could even throw another couple of guys in this tier.

Bradshaw
Brees
Dawson
Favre
Marino
Van Brocklin

I'm not as high on Brees, Favre, and Marino as a lot of others are. Big volume guys with numerous playoff failures. Their winning percentages (.624, .613, .601) are all good, but not elite. I still can't believe Brees lost three straight home playoff games scoring 23, 20, and 20 with arguably the best team in football each of those seasons. Favre and Marino's legends are largely inflated by three-year stretches. Say what you want about Marino's teams, but he should have been able to take advantage of a weak conference. Instead, he was a big reason for a lot of those playoff losses.

Recently evaluated around 20 quarterbacks so far and I'm getting a clear top 12 (order is interchangeable in each tier, and I'm still not sure if I want to bump Baugh)

Brady
---------
Montana
Graham
---------
Manning
Unitas
Starr
Baugh
Luckman
Staubach
---------
Young
Rodgers
Elway

Like 4-9, 13-18 is also a complete cluster. Honestly, you could even throw another couple of guys in this tier.

Bradshaw
Brees
Dawson
Favre
Marino
Van Brocklin

I'm not as high on Brees, Favre, and Marino as a lot of others are. Big volume guys with numerous playoff failures. Their winning percentages (.624, .613, .601) are all good, but not elite. I still can't believe Brees lost three straight home playoff games scoring 23, 20, and 20 with arguably the best team in football each of those seasons. Favre and Marino's legends are largely inflated by three-year stretches. Say what you want about Marino's teams, but he should have been able to take advantage of a weak conference. Instead, he was a big reason for a lot of those playoff losses.
Marino was the real deal. He was tossing yards and td's at a prodigious rate. Don't remember enough about the 80's dolphin teams to say why he didnt have a collection of hardware to go along with all the yards and td's.

agreed on brees... Brees is a good quarerback, but really was a product of the change in rules, emphasizing the passing game circa 2005 / 2006 (ie Change the rules so peyton can win era)... His years in SD kinda bear this out but i have done no exhaustive review of that...

Brady
---------
Montana
Graham
---------
Manning
Unitas
Starr
Baugh
Luckman
Staubach
---------
Young
Rodgers
Elway

Bradshaw
Brees
Dawson
Favre
Marino
Van Brocklin

Good job

I'm working on updating the list to see where some of the more recent devleopments lead us...in particular, Stafford's championship, Big Ben's final standing, Russell Wilson's plateau/decline...stacked against Eli, Rivers, and Ryan. Hall of Fame credentials will be interesting.
We're waiting.

Brady
Peyton Manning
Montana
Rodgers
Brees
Favre
Tarkenton
Stabler
Blanda
Luckman
Sonny J
Baugh
Mahomes
Starr
Roethlisberger
Bradshaw
Rivers
Manning
Fouts
Aikman
Staubach
Elway
Marino
Griese
Warner
McNabb
Dawson
Young
Tittle
Kelly
Kenny A
Ryan
Simms
Namath
Layne
Moon
Fouts
Van Brocklin
Unitas
Graham
Eli Manning
Plunkett
Gannon

Yikes Russell Wilson is that bad that Fouts is better than him twice!!

Young
Rodgers
Elway
Bradshaw
Brees
Dawson
Favre
Marino
Van Brocklin
Hard to exclude Kelly & Tittle for example, from this bunch - don't see any superiority in the first three. Manning is lumped in with them, for me.

If I wanted to win a football game, I would take Plunkett, Flutie and probably Grogan over all of the above, except Van Brocklin. I want to win.

If you question this, remember that both teams in the scenario are equivalently talented.

Brady
Montana
Graham
---------
Unitas
Starr
Baugh
Luckman
Staubach
Layne

Last edited:

Brady
Peyton Manning
Montana
Rodgers
Brees
Favre
Tarkenton
Stabler
Blanda
Luckman
Sonny J
Baugh
Mahomes
Starr
Roethlisberger
Bradshaw
Rivers
Manning
Fouts
Aikman
Staubach
Elway
Marino
Griese
Warner
McNabb
Dawson
Young
Tittle
Kelly
Kenny A
Ryan
Simms
Namath
Layne
Moon
Fouts
Van Brocklin
Unitas
Graham
Eli Manning
Plunkett
Gannon
Flutie, Cunningham, Parilli, Grogan...

Stafford gets in with the ring. Wilson should compile enough stats by then. Remember he's been to two, so even losing another one won't hurt him that much imo. Esp if he doesn't throw the most famous INT in NFL history again.

Eli will bc of beating us twice. I think he'll go first try. Same for Ben imo.

Rivers and Ryan wait unless Ryan gets a ring.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back