PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alfonzo Dennard Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
All said, we have way too little information to regard our opinions as other than complete speculation.

This may be the best quote of the entire thread.

It looks like we'll all know soon enough, as the case is expected to go to the jury on Tuesday after the 3 day weekend.

If we don't find out Tuesday, we'll know Wednesday at the latest.

They can recover the money they owe Dennard if he goes to jail, but they lose a significantly cost controlled asset. The going rate at which a player of his caliber and youth is replaced is 4-5 million dollars per year. Its a high stakes situation in terms of roster building and should be treated as such.

As for telling individuals how to handle their business, part of an individual effectively handling their business is knowing when to defer to people who actually know what they are talking about. I don't try and fix my computer because I'm not an electrical engineer. Dennard should be connected with people who know what they're doing by the organization, and if he refuses their counsel it is his (and New England's) loss.
Ok your metaphor is laughable.
Does bill belichick have a Jd that I didn't read about in his bio? Maybe Kraft has a long history of defendant prosecution? Why would they have anything to say that Dennard's lawyer wouldn't? Again horrible idea.

And why was Dennard a 7th round pick and not 2nd? Risk. 32 teams took a pass 6 times and a few took a 7th pass for a reason.

edit: http://www.omaha.com/article/20130215/HUSKERS/702159883/1685
This link works now.
“I turned around and I saw it was a police officer,” he said. “He said, ‘You’re under arrest.’ ... I said, ‘No, I’m going to go home.’ He kept trying to grab my arm. I kept pulling it away.”

Dennard said he made a quarter turn to try to slip from the officer’s grasp. He said he did not think he hit the officer.

Under questioning by defense attorney Dougherty, Dennard said he never threw a punch at Kopsa, nor did he strike him in the face with a closed fist.
Under Acton’s cross-examination, however, Dennard said it was possible he hit Kopsa with his right arm. But he maintained that he did not do so on purpose.

“I had no idea I hit the officer with my right fist,” Dennard said.

The article requested cannot be found! Please refresh your browser or go back. (OW,20130216,,-1,AR). - Omaha.com

Quote:
“I had no idea I hit the officer with my right fist,”
Quote:
“I turned around and I saw it was a police officer,” “He said, ‘You’re under arrest.’ . . .
I said, ‘No I’m going to go home.’ He kept trying to grab my arm, I kept pulling it away.”
Quote:
He said he hit the man with a jab. He didn't recall whether he hit the man with a closed fist or open palm but said it "probably" was a closed fist.
Maybe Dennard shouldn't have taken the stand.
I hope Pelini gave the judge season tickets to reduce the sentence.

so cop was in uniform?
pages ago i read he was a bounce that night....

I am not a lawyer, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. However, I was stationed in Omaha for 5 years. That state (at least everywhere between Omaha and Lincoln), when I was there, was FANATICAL about the Huskers and everything associated with them. Between the differences in stories and this guy being a former Husker player, and a good one at that; I don't see how he serves any time in jail. Tom Osborne and Eric Crouch could have eaten live babies at the 50 yard line as a halftime show and Memorial Stadium would have cheered until they lost their voices.

Defense rests.

Pelini not called to stand as sides rest in Dennard trial : News-crime

The defense should have called Ras-I Dowling to testify that he hit the cops and is willing to rehab his next injury in the Nebraska State Penitentiary.

That's a better accounting of the testimony from Dennard.

"From the time Officer Kopsa came up and grabbed you to the time you were laying on the ground, did you strike Officer Kopsa?" Dougherty asked him.

"No, sir," Dennard said.

...........I don't see how he serves any time in jail. Tom Osborne and Eric Crouch could have eaten live babies at the 50 yard line as a halftime show and Memorial Stadium would have cheered until they lost their voices.

Apparently, neither the D.A. or off duty cop are Huskers fans.

Luckily for Dennard, the D. A. and cop will not sentence Dennard. The D. A.
will probably recommend the full 7 years in prison.

Doesn't matter, though. The jury of Dennard's, ahem, "peers" will be. Another blunder by the DA: Trying a Husker star in Lincoln is a losing proposition. I don't care what his motives are (justice or glory hound), he's going to look like a chump come Tuesday.

The D. A.
will probably recommend the full 7 years in prison.

Yeah, maybe if he's reading from the sentencing guideline book for morons.

The DA can "recommend" anything he wants, but it will be the judge who sentences Dennard, and he won't get more than 1/3 of that in the absolute worst case scenario due to sentencing guidelines and common sense. At worst, Dennard will spend 1 year in jail on a 2 year sentence, and even that's a major stretch in my opinion.

You don't put a young kid with no prior charges in jail for long periods of time, especially when he's a college graduate and making something of his life. There are still common sense factors and drawn up guidelines for the judge to go by, and Dennard is scoring low grades for the possible sentencing in my opinion. I can't see how he gets more than 1 year in jail, to which he serves 5-6 months and comes back for the season and maybe even TC.

The common sense factor would also come into play seeing as how it was a bar fight, extremely common on Saturday nights in this country, particularly when you live in a college town--even if he made the wrong choice by hitting an officer. He may pay for it with some incarceration, but he hasn't gone and ruined his entire life either.

I still doubt that he ends up having to miss any time this season, but in an absolute worst case he misses this year, and comes back in 2014. If that were to happen I would have to think that NE retains his rights and keeps him for the future just the same if he were injured for the year (although it would obviously be a different designation and not count against the roster limit).

The NYC mayor and DA wanted nothing more than to make the Burress case an example, and he actually could have killed someone who was an innocent bystander by discharging an unregistered weapon in a public place. Even then he only missed 2 seasons, and I don't think that really compares to Dennard scratching a cop on the neck with what the physician referred to as a "small superficial wound."

Doesn't matter, though. The jury of Dennard's, ahem, "peers" will be. Another blunder by the DA: Trying a Husker star in Lincoln is a losing proposition. I don't care what his motives are (justice or glory hound), he's going to look like a chump come Tuesday.

I heard that Rex Ryan tried to have the trial moved to Norman, Oklahoma.

Closing arguments are today, so we should have a ruling on Dennard in the near future.

Perhaps the DA realized the worst thing for his Nebraska based career would be to win it, but he also had to honor the police and the process by fully pursuing it. In that case, the smartest thing to do is to try it in Lincoln.

Funny how he remembers everything about that night except if he punched a cop. I also enjoyed the "you are not arresting me" banter. Guess in Lincoln, ballers have the option of arrest or go home....Why doesn't this cop know the rules :)
Finally, loved how the coach makes a guest appearance at the trial for some glad handing with the perp and the crowd. I'm guessing some Husker gear was left in the jury room "by accident".
I'm thinking Nick Nolte as the coach.
Lil Wayne as both Dennards
Vin Diesel as the cop
The Dice Man as the drunk in the street
Burt Reynolds as the Judge

This case is such a joke. The prosecution couldn't find a single witness who saw Dennard actually punch the cop, the cell phone video doesn't show him punching the cop, and there weren't really any injuries. It's basically the cop against everybody else right now.

Funny how he remembers everything about that night except if he punched a cop. I also enjoyed the "you are not arresting me" banter. Guess in Lincoln, ballers have the option of arrest or go home....Why doesn't this cop know the rules :)
Finally, loved how the coach makes a guest appearance at the trial for some glad handing with the perp and the crowd. I'm guessing some Husker gear was left in the jury room "by accident".
I'm thinking Nick Nolte as the coach.
Lil Wayne as both Dennards
Vin Diesel as the cop
The Dice Man as the drunk in the street
Burt Reynolds as the Judge

I'm guessing you think he's guilty then.

This case is such a joke. The prosecution couldn't find a single witness who saw Dennard actually punch the cop, the cell phone video doesn't show him punching the cop, and there weren't really any injuries. It's basically the cop against everybody else right now.

Except for the incident in the bar.....and the incident on the street. Guess the cop made that up too. One huge conspiracy to nail the kid they gave they opportunity to go home twice.

Too bad Dennard admitted hitting the kid on the street..." On the witness stand Friday, former Husker Alfonzo Dennard admitted hitting another man on the streets of downtown Lincoln last April and resisting arrest."

And..."Under Acton’s cross-examination, however, Dennard said it was possible he hit Kopsa with his right arm. But he maintained that he did not do so on purpose."

Of course his attorney immediately straightened Dennard out..."Under questioning by defense attorney Dougherty, Dennard said he never threw a punch at Kopsa, nor did he strike him in the face with a closed fist."

So it was possible...but he didn't.

Now who knows how the good people of Lincoln will vote, but if I hear a cop say he got punched and a defendant utter the phrase "it was possible," ......case closed. But then again how many cases have head coaches lurking in the wings glad handing people in the court room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back