PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AJ Brown Just Unfollowed Eagles, Followed 2 Patriots Players on Instagram

Yeah, it's more than three, but I think if they were to solve (meaning just getting a guy who belongs in the spot) a QB, WR, and LT, I think their other holes are more in line with what every team has to contend with. Now that doesn't mean they're suddenly as GOOD as most other teams, because those are three big positions and they're likely to be rookies, but if our big holes are ILB and a 3rd boundary corner, I'd say most teams have something equivalent to that.

I'm not sure I agree that TE is a hole, so much as they need depth bodies there. That kind of thing can be sorted out without premium assets. They already have Henry and Hooper.

I'd also say kicker, while in need of an upgrade, is another one where I'd expect a low level signing after the draft. Either an UDFA or a journeyman vet to compete with Ryland (who's a total crapshoot at this point).
Also, our 3d RB is Gibson now. Though I agree they need another back to spell Stevenson.

Again, nothing real big, other than QB, LT, WR, which obviously are huge holes and not a gimme to fix in one draft by any stretch.
I agree with the big three needs.

The rest can be classified as much less of importance, but do need to be addressed at some point... Draft, sfa signings, trades, whatever... But those positions need depth / competition for the incumbents...

I put TE below K for a reason... Ordered list of how I rank our needs, done with the understanding that not all will agree with my assessment

Add Tristan Wirfs, AJ Broen, one of Herbert/Allen/Burrows to this Pats team.

Looks competitive as hell to me.
I see those names and think role players... So... Agree to disagree? Don't want to "die on this hill" so to speak... We will see how it plays out over the summer and preseason

Yeah, it's more than three, but I think if they were to solve (meaning just getting a guy who belongs in the spot) a QB, WR, and LT, I think their other holes are more in line with what every team has to contend with. Now that doesn't mean they're suddenly as GOOD as most other teams, because those are three big positions and they're likely to be rookies, but if our big holes are ILB and a 3rd boundary corner, I'd say most teams have something equivalent to that.

I'm not sure I agree that TE is a hole, so much as they need depth bodies there. That kind of thing can be sorted out without premium assets. They already have Henry and Hooper.

I'd also say kicker, while in need of an upgrade, is another one where I'd expect a low level signing after the draft. Either an UDFA or a journeyman vet to compete with Ryland (who's a total crapshoot at this point).
Also, our 3d RB is Gibson now. Though I agree they need another back to spell Stevenson.

Again, nothing real big, other than QB, LT, WR, which obviously are huge holes and not a gimme to fix in one draft by any stretch.
Nice summary of where the team needs help. I will only add that the needs are QB, LT and a difference maker who catches the ball. The team needs someone who can't be shut down when the game is on the line. With the Osborn trade TE and WR are in roughly the same shape in that there are some solid NFL players with no difference makers at either position. Depending on how the draft plays out adding a Gronk or Kelce would have similar impact as an elite WR.

I'm all in! Gamechanger. Would be great, 1400 plus yards last year, pay the man! Then get the 3rd pick qb.

Brady still would have left, the 2020 team still would have needed rebuilding, the collaboration station still would have taken Mac Jones and he would still suck.
No doubt the team would still have been the situation to reboot given the age of the roster, so it is probable that Brady would have left anyway. The collaboration station was formed as a result of the Harry debacle so who knows how the Mac draft would have turned out if BB was still in control.

No doubt the team would still have been the situation to reboot given the age of the roster, so it is probable that Brady would have left anyway. The collaboration station was formed as a result of the Harry debacle so who knows how the Mac draft would have turned out if BB was still in control.
According to Tom on Howard Stern right after he left, he’d already decided to leave after 2018 ended.

Harry was a terrible pick, it was also a desperation pick because Tom was grousing about weapons. I don’t think BB ever would have used a 1st on a WR. It’s all water under the bridge now.

Add Tristan Wirfs, AJ Brown, one of Herbert/Allen/Burrows to this Pats team.

This ^

The 2024 team has some important needs, but not a lot of needs. They need to fix the offense, mainly QB and left tackle.

Do that and they can spend their remaining six draft picks and league leaving cap space on WR’s and weapons.

This isn’t hard, they need to get those first two positions right first.

Trade back for 11+23+Justin Jefferson with Minnesota, extend Jefferson, then sign Tom Brady, then trade #23 for AJ Brown. Use pick 11 on Left Tackle. Take Michael Pratt or Jordan Travis later to develop. Boom! (ok, putting down the drugs now)

Trade back for 11+23+Justin Jefferson with Minnesota, extend Jefferson, then sign Tom Brady, then trade #23 for AJ Brown. Use pick 11 on Left Tackle. Take Michael Pratt or Jordan Travis later to develop. Boom! (ok, putting down the drugs now)
Instead of putting them down, you could, you know, share them.

true romance smile GIF

Aj Brown is a rookie QB’s dream. The way he can turn a slant into big yards translates well for any Qb but for a rookie it’s a huge confidence booster.

I hope it happens but it’s probably to good to be true.

Add Tristan Wirfs, AJ Broen, one of Herbert/Allen/Burrows to this Pats team.

Not sure there's a team out there that wouldn't be competitive if you add a top 5 player to their 3 weakest positions. Especially if you're talking about adding a top 5 QB.

If some teams wouldn't become competitive in that scenario, it's a pretty short list.

Too good to be true unfortunately.

My boy Kevin Eagles fan said watch us trade for brown and then Tom
Comes back for a season.

According to Tom on Howard Stern right after he left, he’d already decided to leave after 2018 ended.

Harry was a terrible pick, it was also a desperation pick because Tom was grousing about weapons. I don’t think BB ever would have used a 1st on a WR. It’s all water under the bridge now.
If Brady wanted to leave over lack of weapons, he would have left years ago.

Not sure there's a team out there that wouldn't be competitive if you add a top 5 player to their 3 weakest positions. Especially if you're talking about adding a top 5 QB.

If some teams wouldn't become competitive in that scenario, it's a pretty short list.
The QBs aren't all top 5. Allen, maybe.

Brown might be, so swap him for Deebo or any other top receiver.

Similarly, swap Wirfs for any of the top 10 LTs in the league.

Which is exactly my point. Fix those three positions with quality players and the Pats are in the mix. When your QB sucks as bad as ours last year, and with the problems mounting between Bill and ownership and with some players - the collapse of culture - EVERYONE looks a lot worse than they are.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back