PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After The Smoke Clears

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a thousand dudes hitting the street all at once, and Belichick apparently watching their every snap, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he scoops up some dudes he covets (that we probably haven't heard of) and whom ultimately bounce all our bubble players off the wk1 roster.

I put the over/under at 4 for players on the 53 for KC that were not in the stadium last night.

By Halloween add 3 more.

By Tday and Xmas 3 more.

Historically speaking, whether it be due to injuries or upgrades, BB flips 10-15% of the opening day roster during the year.

Last edited:
This is after the players go on IR (Rivers, Edelman, Jones, Garcia, McClellin).
Slater, Freeny and Bolden might be cut and brought back.
This strategy makes sense with veteran special teamers.

ROSTER (52)
A DE/LB or two will be picked up on waivers.

OFFENSE (23)
QB (3) T.Brady, J.Garoppolo, J.Brissett
RB (5) M.Gillislee, R.Burkhead, J.White, D.Lewis, J.Develin
WR (4) B.Cooks, C.Hogan, D.Amendola, M.Mitchell
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, J.O'Shaughnessy
C (1) D.Andrews
G (3) S.Mason, J.Thuney, T.Karras
T (4) N.Solder, M.Cannon, C.Fleming, C.Croston

DEFENSE (20)
DE (2) T.Flowers, D.Wise
DT (5) A.Branch, M.Brown, V.Valentine, L.Guy, A.Butler
ILB(2) D.Hightower, E.Roberts
OLB(2) K.VanNoy, H.Langi
CB (5) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, J.Coleman
SS (2) P.Chung, J.Richards
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon

SPECIAL TEAMS (9)
SPEC (3) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona
ST (6) Bolden, Slater, Ebner, King, Freeny, Flowers

Total players: 52
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2017

Bolden, Grissom, Freeny are certainly candidates to be cut and brought back after the injured guys who can return are placed on short-term IR. Id be shocked if they do that with Slater.

Rivers, Edelman and looks like also Cyrus will go directly on IR. Meaning season ending. No need to put them on 53.

Guys that could be placed on 53 and then IR-ed (eligible to return) are McClellin, Ebner, Langi, Garcia and Keionta Davis. I don't think they will over use this option so the guys who can return by week 4 lets say would be kept on 53 id guess

That said I really hope Ebner and Langi don't have serious enough problem to put them on IR so this is a situation Im most anxious to see how it plays out. One thing to watch is if bringing M.Flowers was about them or McClellin..

With a thousand dudes hitting the street all at once, and Belichick apparently watching their every snap, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he scoops up some dudes he covets (that we probably haven't heard of) and whom ultimately bounce all our bubble players off the wk1 roster.
Yeah, dude, that's a lot of dudes, good dudes, bad dudes, mediocre dudes...lots of dudes...

Id be shocked if they do that with Slater.

Not sure why. Slater is a vested veteran who wouldn't be exposed to waiver claims (though Grissom would be). Slater being off the roster for 24 hours shouldn't matter to anyone, not even Slater.

I hate to be the one to break the news to you....

Edelman tore his ACL in preseason game 3...
And is out for the season.

Again... I'm sorry
LOL whoops. Fixed.

1) I fixed Harris, thx
2) Slater is listed under ST. If cut, he would only be cut for a day.
3) McCellan is a question mark. He may or may not be close be ready.

Why would slater be cut???
Where is David Harris?
I don't see mcclellin on IR.

What position is "Dude"?

Really hard to make predictions with so many undisclosed injury situations. Let's have a shot anyway:

53 for 9/7 opener:
Ebner, McClellin, Garcia were originally kept on 53 but later put on “short-term“ IR

RB (6) M.Gillislee, J.White, R.Burkhead, D.Lewis, B.Bolden, D.Foster
FB (1) J.Develin
WR (4) B.Cooks, C.Hogan, M.Mitchell, D.Amendola
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen, J.O'Shaughnessy
C (1) D.Andrews
DE (3) T.Flowers, D.Wise, G.Grissom
DT (5) A.Branch, M.Brown, L.Guy, V.Valentine, A.Butler
ILB(2) D.Harris, E.Roberts
OLB(3) D.Hightower, K.VanNoy, H.Langi
CB (5) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones, J.Coleman
SS (2) P.Chung, J.Richards
ST (6) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, M.Slater, B.King, M.Flowers

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2017
____

Id keep Travis over Richards and try to “stash“ D Jones - but I guess BB is willing to take the risk putting them through waivers. If not claimed Im sure they'll be back on PS.

here a PS projection/wish list

WR Lucien/Carr, C.Hollister
TE J Hollister
IOL Douglas
T McDermott
DT Hamilton, Augusta
CB Moore/Likely
SS Travis
FS D.Jones

since some of the above might be gone (Jetes waiting) id love to see WR Maye there
reserve options: CB Killings, RB Daniels, ST Thompson

Last edited:
No Garcia?

Not sure why. Slater is a vested veteran who wouldn't be exposed to waiver claims (though Grissom would be). Slater being off the roster for 24 hours shouldn't matter to anyone, not even Slater.

It would matter symbolically. You just don't cut Slater. I doubt BB would go there for some roster tactics...

...Carr remains a project who will need at least another year to be compentent. He couldnt even stand out against the third stringers of the Giants, or to use Loykos words:

Glad to see someone else with this viewpoint. I just don't see Carr as an NFL player of any significance. He's made a few contested catches against players who will see very little action in games, if they are on rosters at all. And he's not done anything that a dozen other new players have done: show up every day, play hard, etc.

I'll start with these 46:

RB (5) M.Gillislee, J.White, D.Lewis, R.Burkhead, J.Develin
TE (2) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen
C (1) D.Andrews
DE (4) T.Flowers, D.Wise, A.Butler, L.Guy
DT (3) A.Branch, M.Brown, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Harris, H.Langi, E.Roberts
OLB(2) K.VanNoy, D.Hightower
CB (4) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones
SS (2) P.Chung, N.Ebner
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, Slater

Not knowing the injury status of Garcia and McClellin, I'll split the difference and say one stays active, the other to IR to bring us to 47. For the final six, I'm looking at:

- 1 receiver (likely Lucien or Foster)
- 1 CB (probably Moore, maybe Coleman)
- 1 safety who actually plays safety (maybe Richards or Travis, likely somebody not yet on the roster)
- 2 ST masters (pick from M. Flowers, King, Bolden, O'Shaughnessy)
- 1 open slot for tryouts (if O'Shaughnessy doesn't get a ST slot this should eventually become a TE, but for now things are fluid)

I hate to be the one to break the news to you....

Edelman tore his ACL in preseason game 3...
And is out for the season.

Again... I'm sorry
We all deal with stuff in our own ways. The "Denial" stage is an important part of coming to grips with trauma. Give him some space. I'm sure he'll be able to accept reality in a short while...or turn to drugs and alcohol and wander aimlessly on the streets, which in a warm climate sometimes strikes me as an acceptable option...

One point worth noting: this year, if Carr makes the 53 and is facing a CB1 or even a CB2, some other DB on the defense is about to get schooled.

If Carr makes the team he'd be pure depth and almost certainly inactive during game days until more injuries mount up.

Fingers are crossed that we can hang on to him via PS or whatever and he keeps working on his fundamentals. He has a chance to become useful down the road in a year or so.

I suspect that you have done what we all do when faced with difficult roster choices.

I don't think adding 2 STer's is enough. I believe that all 4 you listed will make the team, plus a SS and a CB (Richards and Coleman for now). That leaves one additional open spot (for you, a WR).

I'll start with these 46:

RB (5) M.Gillislee, J.White, D.Lewis, R.Burkhead, J.Develin
TE (2) R.Gronkowski, D.Allen
C (1) D.Andrews
DE (4) T.Flowers, D.Wise, A.Butler, L.Guy
DT (3) A.Branch, M.Brown, V.Valentine
ILB(3) D.Harris, H.Langi, E.Roberts
OLB(2) K.VanNoy, D.Hightower
CB (4) M.Butler, S.Gilmore, E.Rowe, J.Jones
SS (2) P.Chung, N.Ebner
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, Slater

Not knowing the injury status of Garcia and McClellin, I'll split the difference and say one stays active, the other to IR to bring us to 47. For the final six, I'm looking at:

- 1 receiver (likely Lucien or Foster)
- 1 CB (probably Moore, maybe Coleman)
- 1 safety who actually plays safety (maybe Richards or Travis, likely somebody not yet on the roster)
- 2 ST masters (pick from M. Flowers, King, Bolden, O'Shaughnessy)
- 1 open slot for tryouts (if O'Shaughnessy doesn't get a ST slot this should eventually become a TE, but for now things are fluid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes