PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After October, how confident are you that Mac Jones is "the guy"?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

1 (not at all) to 10 (completely), how certain are you Mac Jones can lead this team for 5 years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still worry about Mac taking hits. He might get Andrew Luck'ed out of the league if they don't protect him better.

I went "7 or 8." He's not the only factor, of course, but he's not (yet?) shown that he can push through in the red zone. Some of this - no doubt - is play calling and lack of special personnel on the offense...BUT.

I think Mac is nursing some sort of injury. His accuracy went down after a recent vicious pancake hit (Jets?).

That being said, he is a superb QB. He has an accurate arm and very quick release. He do touch passes and deliver bullets. He is a 10 out of 10.

7/8.

Also, anyone even remotely surprised the OC got brought up within... a staggering one post?

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Mac's missed throws were not all his fault, or as inaccurate as it may seem at first glance.
He's throwing to super tight coverage, and being smart in not risking putting it behind the receiver.
I don't like the intense reversal from earlier in the season where he wouldn't throw past 15yds, now we're slinging it all over the place.
His comp % has dipped a lot the last 2 games because of this.

Pass those, hopefully get into the dance, then we can see what the kid has on the big stage.
Agreed, the big stage of the NFL but I would say he's been on the big stage before in the SEC and College Football playoffs and national championship game and accounted himself well there....

OT- Can't remember who it was but they asked a rookie how he was going to adapt to crowd noise in visitng stadium and his response was that SEC crowds were louder.....

People forget how "pedestrian" alot of Tom Brady's stats were in this same system back in early 2000's...Not fair to compare him to Brady, but in a very similar system (sure, its evolved over the years) Mac Jones stat lines are very reminiscent of Bradys

Agreed, the big stage of the NFL but I would say he's been on the big stage before in the SEC and College Football playoffs and national championship game and accounted himself well there....

OT- Can't remember who it was but they asked a rookie how he was going to adapt to crowd noise in visitng stadium and his response was that SEC crowds were louder.....
I agree with Mac about the stadiums in the SEC! LSU is ranked as the loudest or the 2nd loudest stadium in college football, Tennessee is right behind them.

Both those places hold over 100,000 fans and about 1/4 of those are students. When I go to Bryant Denny or either of those places, you have to almost yell to speak to the person beside you.

I have a point wrapped in a hypothetical wrapped in a question for you:
If the NFL decided this morning, six-plus months after it happened, to institute a do-over of the 2021 draft, where would Mac Jones be selected?
(Never mind the semantics or logistics of this exercise, please. Why would the NFL redo the draft? Well, it wouldn’t. It couldn’t. But for these purposes, let’s imagine it’s because Roger Goodell is desperate for a distraction from the league’s assorted public relations disasters. That part, at least, is believable.)
So where does Jones go? Top 10? Top five, along with Trevor Lawrence, Kyle Pitts, Ja’Marr Chase and, oh, Micah Parsons? Top three? Do the Jets take him without a second thought over Zach Wilson at No. 2?

This much is certain: He’s not lasting until No. 15, where the Patriots stole him.

It is so hard to redo a draft with only half a season. Some QBs who are struggling now could be elite QBs in the future. May be complete busts too.

I am happy to have Mac Jones as the Pats' QB, but I am not ready to say he is definitely going to be a better QB than Wilson, Fields, or Lance. There is time for those guys to turn it around and Jones could plateau sooner than later. I am hoping I am wrong on the latter,

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
It is so hard to redo a draft with only half a season. Some QBs who are struggling now could be elite QBs in the future. May be complete busts too.

I am happy to have Mac Jones as the Pats' QB, but I am not ready to say he is definitely going to be a better QB than Wilson, Fields, or Lance. There is time for those guys to turn it around and Jones could plateau sooner than later. I am hoping I am wrong on the latter,

What are you ready to say based on what we now know? What order would you rank the prospects of the 5 QB's based on their performance to date?

What are you ready to say based on what we now know? What order would you rank the prospects of the 5 QB's based on their performance to date?

To date, I would rank them:

Lawrence
Jones
Wilson
Fields
Lance

But that ranking means nothing. Too early to tell with any of them yet. It is damn encouraging that Jones is where he is, but we have no idea what he will ultimately develop into. Same with them all.

Lawrence
Jones
Wilson
Fields
Lance

But that ranking means nothing. Too early to tell with any of them yet. It is damn encouraging that Jones is where he is, but we have no idea what he will ultimately develop into. Same with them all.
We have a lot more tape on all of them than teams had going into the draft. I agree that it's not definitive, but we have much more to go on.

I almost agree with your list; but I'd rate Fields above Wilson because he was much more accomplished in college. I'd still pick Trevor over Mac because Lawrence is both accomplished and uber-physically talented. I'd take Trevor #1 and Mac #2. Fields I'd pick at 15-20. Wilson to me is a 2nd round pick and Lance is a 3rd round pick. Both are talented projects with limited accomplishments and a long way to go.

I chose 7-8.

IMO, he's off to a GREAT start....his YPA is low...but to be expected of a rookie...9/6 TD/INT ratio is very good for a rookie.

But I remember other QB's who have looked good...only to flame out or hit a ceiling. We will have to see...

But I am cautiously optimistic....the kid is pretty good.

Lawrence
Jones
Wilson
Fields
Lance

I agree with that list. Maybe Wilson and Fields as 3A and 3B. Lawrence's struggles are entirely a product of his team. I'd trade Mac for Lawrence right now but not the other guys at this point.

Mac looks to be Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins to me right now. Maybe more once we see more of him.

The kid can play10. The pats have their franchise QB.

I agree with that list. Maybe Wilson and Fields as 3A and 3B. Lawrence's struggles are entirely a product of his team. I'd trade Mac for Lawrence right now but not the other guys at this point.

Mac looks to be Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins to me right now. Maybe more once we see more of him.
I don't think there is a debate as to if Lawrence is the more talented player.

The question is who is the better QB for the Patriots franchise. Factor in everything. Attitude. Scheme. Taking to hard coaching. 2nd contract.

From 2001 to 2007 the world thought Manning was better than Brady....but he wasn't.

I gave him a 7-8 instead of a 9-10 because I want to see how his ball looks in cold and windy weather.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back